1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade for Xmas - what to get??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlackDrag0n, 26 Nov 2011.

1. BlackDrag0n

BlackDrag0n What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,
    I am planning on an upgrade for xmas, but am stuck on what to get.

I was thinking of getting a 6870 and then adding a second after I sell off my old card. But I'm having second thoughts. :confused:

My current specs are:
    Core i5 750 @ 3.40GHz
    Gigabyte P55A-UD3
    Coolermaster V8
    Corsair 4GB DDR3-1333 RAM
    ASUS HD5850 Reference
    Caviar Black 640GB
    Vantec 700W Ion 2+
    Raidmax Smilidon

I'm not planning on an SSD, Windows boots fast enough for me. My other options for upgrade were either a new case, more ram or watercooling (but would need a new case for this anyway). I really do not like my case and the lack of cable management irks me. My budget it around 300-400 dollars. I am in New Zealand and will be buying from http://www.computerlounge.co.nz

I am planning on upgrading to Ivy Bridge sometime next year.

NZXT Phantom

Any thoughts will be greatly received :lol:

2. fartonmyear

fartonmyear What's a Dremel?

i came here just to say SSD. SSD!

3. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

If your main graphic intensive use is gaming you'd probably be better going for a GTX 560 ti, they're a terrific mid range card.
    The 6870 is reasonable but unless you're using multiple monitors I think the 560 ti would be a better choice...

4. kol

kol What's a Dremel?

what im doing is, i just asked for money to spend on something i want and that turned out to be a new graphics card, so ill spend the money when the new 600/7000 series cards are released ^_^

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you want a new case, get one :)

It's also something that will last far longer (in theory) than any gpu or other component upgrade

6. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Wait, you have a 5850, and are considering getting a 6870? You are aware that they are nearly identical in performance, right? The 6870 is between 0 and 15% faster than your current card depending on the game.

Definitely save that money until the new 7xxx comes out if thats the way you want to go.

7. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

As you know "Good things come to those who wait" :)

8. BlackDrag0n

I know that they are almost identical performance as a single card, but if I crossfire two I will see a much better performance increase. When are the 7xxx's planning on being released?

9. BlackDrag0n

I just did some digging on my mobo, turns out its second PCI-E slot is a x4. My options are limited now; a high end graphics card, find a p55 board or get Sandy Bridge, ideas?

10. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Firstly what do you plan to use your PC for, i assume its gaming but it would help knowing what its main uses are for ie photoshop work/cad etc.

2nd buy for now, dont bother waiting for 7xxx cards because by time they come around the 8xxx will be "just around the corner and you should wait for those" in other words you will never upgrade and you will need to spend in the region of $600nz for a decent 7xxx card.

Personally unless you are really suffering frame rates your card should do, as others have said your upgrade choice from your current card will not give you a give you a huge performance increase

So you should look at upgrading something else or saving for sandybridge, what monitor res are you gaming on?

11. BlackDrag0n

Hi, thanks for the advice, I'm gaming on 1920x1080. I was thinking that, my card runs pretty much every game on max with 40-60fps except for BF3 and Metro 2033. I think I'll wait until next year.

I think I'll just get the case

12. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Well unless you have to spend the cash, i would put it aside personally and put it towards a good build IE sandybridge watercooled and a 7 series card or sandybridge/SSD with a card upgrade.

Is your current case not keeping your temps down or is it a case that "mum" has asked what you want and you have no choice but to buy now?

13. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

if u have a hd5850 dont upgrade to a hd6870 you wont see much improvement...
    IMO you should :
    A) get a new sexsee case :)
    B) save your money for a nice upgrade later down the road
    C) new mobo and CPU ... depending on ur budget...

14. BlackDrag0n

Now that I think about it some more, the money does seem the more logical option, and then go all out when Ivy is released - that is if my parents actually give me money towards it, they don't seem to like giving money as presents, but I'll see.

15. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Hmmm "mum/dad thanks for the suggestion but $300 is not worth spending on my pc at the moment so as i dont want you to waste your money unnecessarily so mum/dad i would like you to put the money into the savings account so i can use it with some other money down the line on a upgrade worth having as i really need about $700 to spend on the pc to make the upgrade worth while i as otherwise upgrading now will mean i am just wasting your money".

"well son since your thinking so maturely and sensibly about the money how about we just give you the $700 you need"

Do you think that will be the convo?

Or "well son since your thinking so maturely and sensibly about the money now how about we give you a $10 warehouse voucher?"

16. BlackDrag0n

I like the way you think :clap:
    I'll give it a shot