1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Skyrim?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Karas, 15 Sep 2011.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Posted some screenshots here.

There's a lot of duplicates as I was messing around with injector settings and I haven't had time to filter out the rubbish ones! The later ones are after I started to apply various texture mods so might look different.

2. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

ok so i was bored and started playing skyrim, after 20 hours i just got bored,and i don't think i'm going to play it again :(

3. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

I am going to have THAT song in my head all day tomorrow (not sure the pregnant ladies I will be scanning will like it!).

4. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Oh I don't know, perhaps thw world would be a nicer place if we had all listened to Peter, Paul & Mary whilst in the womb! When my children were born, all they had was Elton John and my girls came out to the sounds of 'Saturday nights all right for fighting' - it's perhaps why, four years on they spend there time trying to kill each other!!

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I kinda felt the same way, the main mission gets boring after a while and the world is just so big it's daunting to even try to explore it all.

6. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

Well damn, I decided to look at my recent threads and i forgot about this thread only for me to see it has 300+ reviews! Well Skyrims everything I hoped it would be with a few flaws, I wish they would use dx11 because there's some really low res textures im seeing throughout the game and I mean REALLY low. I'm getting 25-40 fps on ultra with my gtx 460 and I'm more of a hybrid with this first character i'm basically doing everything until I find the one I like the most and then i'm restarting and NEVER killing Parrathurnax or w/e his name is. (I didn't know it was a choice to kill him otherwise I wouldn't he was my favorite</3) But everythings pretty darn amazing with this game and with future mods I won't be suprised if this game lasts me longer then CSS did.

7. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Here's your first stop for a list of mods. Some of the texture mods really make a difference without too much of a hit on performance.

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I just installed a bevy of mods that I highly recommend for everyone. I will list them.

Detailed faces
    No More Blocky Faces
    2KHD Textures
    Better water textures
    Enhanced Night, most stars version, colored nebula
    ENBseries Skyrim Enhanced Shaders. I used the ultra high quality effects file out of the "optional effects" folder. This is NOT the sharpened version. The default and sharpened version makes the UI and subtitles really grainy.

This has made an enormous improvement. The game looks so much better and there is almost no performance reduction from any of these.

They can all be found on the first page of the "Hot Files" list on Skyrimnexus.com

9. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Tried half of those mods, and my CTDs went from once every 2 hours to every 5 - 7 minutes (actually timed it) :waah:

if only they would "officially" patch the memory usage problem. :sigh:

10. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

I've had an odd issue with the 4GB patch mentioned earlier, in that whilst the text would appear on screen to say a section of a quest had been completed the journal entries didn't. As such the quest markers weren't updating at all.

11. Malvolio

Malvolio .

This mod makes my frame rate drop from 100+ indoors down into the single digits. Not entirely sure what is wrong to be honest.

Rest of the mods you suggested have actually increased my systems performance outdoors, though load times are longer!

12. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Still cant figure out the sound issue, always stuck manually changing the audio quality when I want to play it. Think I'm level 26 or 27. Still going hard with 2handers and heavy armor. Think my heavy armor is around 60 or so and my 2 handed swords is 55-60ish also. Most frustrating thing I've found is the dragon AI. Thing doesn't want to land so I can't kill it!

13. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

I see that the upcoming patch does fix the sound bug, plus others:
    1.2 patch notes

HOPEFULLY *cough* they fixed the max memory allowed for the game :rock:

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

"Fixed occasional issue where a guest would arrive to the player's wedding dead"

That's a shame - would have loved to have seen that. I know many a person who would turn up dead for a wedding if it meant a free drink though!

15. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I find two handers kill me pretty quick when they are in close if I don't watch what I'm doing.

What's the best way to level your armour up? I know in Morrowind you just found a weak enemy and stood there and took it. Please don't be like that again! lol

My experience was only buggy with beta drivers from nvidia. Haven't looked for new ones tbh.

16. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

There are two main ways to level heavy armor, besides using trainers.
    "Regular wear and tear" - Just wear heavy armor while you explore and adventure, and after the normal hits you will take over the course of adventuring, your skill while improve.

If you want to “power level” this skill you can use the following “grinding” method.

"Punching Bag" – Intentionally let your character be hit multiple times in order to faster level this armor skill (Seen in this video ).

The increments in which your heavy armor skill increases is dependant on how hard you are hit. For example blocking multiple attacks from a Skeever will level your heavy armor skill at a much slower rate than if you were to take a few attacks from a Giant. The key however is finding an enemy relative to your level that won't kill you in a few hits. A low level player will have no chance to successfully sustain attacks from a Giant and survive, but a higher level player will.

Stolen from Skyrim Wiki :D

17. Neogumbercules

Weird. It all works fine for me. Are you using the 4GB Skyrim launcher? Also, if you're using FXAA Injector you need to do some extra work to make it compatible with the ENB mod. I've actually removed the ENB mod completely. I feel the game looks much better without it. Everything is way too dark and the text was still kinda screwed up with ENB. The HDR was way overblown.

Also, Nvidia released the 290.36 beta drivers which contain optimizations for Skyrim.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2011
  18. Neogumbercules

Little late on the response, but as a pure stealth/sneak type character I feel I should comment on this.

All I can say is keep leveling up your sneak skill. Once you get it to a high enough level you can practically sneak right in front of dudes without being seen. I've crouched right into rooms crowded with enemies completely unseen. Just be sure to stick to the shadows and make sure you're wearing all light armor, as heavy armor makes you easier to spot. I cannot recommend the silent roll ability enough. With this you can very quickly and silently get right up on a dude for a free kill.

Archery takes patience to level up to an appropriate skill level, but once you start getting Elven and Dwarven bows with adept level damage enchantments and quality arrows you can basically 1 shot any enemy that isn't either a boss or something huge like a dragon/giant/mammoth. Also keep in mind that any sneak attack kill you get with an arrow also levels your sneak skill. There's a stone shrine somewhere in the general area of the Bleak Falls Barrow exit with the "Thief" stone that will make all stealth skills level 20% faster. Right now I have a helmet that boosts Archery damage by 25% and a Ring that boosts it by 20% and some minor archery damage enchantment on my gloves that boost it by 4%. Needless to say, my arrows are deadly.

Don't forget to use poisons, either. The basic poison adds 25 damage to your attack. That damn near doubles your damage.

The ability that gives each arrow a 50% chance to stagger your target is invaluable when the fit hits the shan and you need to keep the battle-axe wielding maniac away from you.

At some point you will learn a "throw voice" shout that allows you to fool enemies into walking wherever you want them to. Using that, you can position enemies right where you need them for your sneak attacking pleasure.

There is also a detect life shout called Life, Aura Whisper that basically gives you x-ray vision, allowing you to scope out entire areas without having to poke your head into a crowded area.

Played right, and with the right tools, a sneak dagger/archer character has the ability to completely control any battle. In fact, I'm level 27 right now and had to use trainers to level up my light armor skill most of the way because I finish probably 70% of every battle without getting hit. My light armor skill was lagging behind due to non-use! This has actually had a negative impact because any fight that you walk into accidently, like getting ambushed by 2 cave bears or walking unwittingly into a Bandit/Forsworn infested camp, can go very wrong, very fast. Any time I get jumped by powerful wildlife I bust out my Command Animal skill (I'm a wood elf :thumb:)

Dragon fights are a pain, but archery gets me through them. The basic strategy I use can be considered cheesing the system, but I'd never win if I didn't do this. I find a pillar or tree that I can easily walk around and when the dragons attack me I just hide and pop out when they stop attacking. I wouldn't -have- to do this, but the dragon breath attacks are impossible to dodge no matter what you do and my armor rating sucks so I don't really have much of a choice.

TheCherub likes this.
  19. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Bought this game yesterday....Oh my God...Just wow...

20. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I've just been making mental money and travelling around skyrim for ingots to level up my smithing - anyone else pretty disappointed with the look of the dragon armour? glass armour looks sooooooo much cooler!