1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Random Power loss on recent build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noob4ever, 25 Nov 2011.

1. Noob4ever

Noob4ever always learning

I built a new pc a few months back, and now have a problem with it, I just randomly lose power, I can be gaming or I can just be cruising the internet, I've checked everything I can think of, I've tried different ram, different psu, Replaced the motherboard so I had something abit higher end, I've rebuilt it from the bottom up in case I had shorted something somewhere when I built it, no joy on any of it, Any thoughts, recommendations would be extremely helpful.

Sabretooth P67, i7 2600k, Kingston ddr3 1600(8gig), msi 570 gtx, 4 wd hdd, 1 dvd burner, 1 asus sound card.

Just abit more info, I've sat in bios watching mb temps in case that was a problem, cpu averages around 35c, and mb around 31c, I had it plugged into a power strip and now its plugged straight into the wall in case the strip was going out, I'm starting to pull out what little hair I have left

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Try a completely different wall socket.

3. Noob4ever

Tested it, shows as good, its relatively recent wiring(year). Ill go buy another extension cord(mine are all used) and try it just in case, but I doubt its the issue.

And nope, ran power to another outlet, and same problem still. a bit more info, The entire system reboots when this happens, and is usually in a loop for 2-3 tries before it goes past boot screen,

Also, I have tried starting up the pc with no connections to the power and reset switches on the antec 900 2 ive got this all stuffed in, in case it was a bad switch, it gave me hope for awhile but did the same thing.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
  4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I had a similar problem with my pc. When it was idle or browsing internet it would reboot intermittently. It was ok when running prime 95 though. I fixed it by turning off power saving measure like speed step and EIST etc. Worth a try. Other people with similar problems to me replaced power supply and that fixed it for them.

Edit: if switching off power saving no good, try building outside of case to make sure not shorting it.

Last edited: 26 Nov 2011
  5. SleepyMatt

SleepyMatt What's a Dremel?

When you say you tried a different PSU, was it a known good one or another new one? Chances of 2 duds are small but possible...

6. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I would say it's a psu issue, it would help if you told us the wattage and the brand of psu you tried.

Edit: just saw your signature. The pc power and cooling brand are new, they may have issues. Try a different, well known and tested brand, like Corsair, coolermaster, or Antec.

7. Noob4ever

I have a corsair 750 watt, I tried a kingwin 850 because thats all the local store had, It started right back up into the random power loss again, sometimes it will go hours between, sometimes it will just be every 5 minutes, guess I'll have to newegg a new corsair....

and the corsair 750 I have is a couple years old, I kept it from my previous build, and was fine for a couple of months till this started up

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  8. mstrchf

mstrchf What's a Dremel?

Sounds like a weird one mate. Have you tried what yehbaby suggested and built it outside the case?

Are you using any of the usb or firewire headers on the motherboard? One of my mates pc's was up to similar antics occasionally and we eventually found the front usb port connection was shorting.

If you haven't done so, i'd try running it bare minimum components with only the necessary stuff connected. Unplug front usb ports and any other power drawing motherboard headers in use. Run only your primary harddrive, disconnect power to the others. Remove soundcard and unplug dvd power and disconnect unnecessary fans and leave the side panel off. Tried using a different psu cable?

If it still does it then i don't know what it could be other than the cpu being the only component you haven't changed but its along shot. Tried using a different psu cable?

Sorry if this is useless, grasping at straws...

Last edited: 28 Nov 2011
  9. Noob4ever

Yes I've built it outside the case and it did the same thing, meaning no short in the build, however I have also tried pulling all the plugs from the front panel, and just shorting the pins to start it up, same thing.....

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If you're certain all the BIOS settings are satisfactory then it's possible we're looking at the processor at fault.

11. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

so what havent you changed? optical drives? hard drive? and processor?

I'd start looking at removing one of those one by one.

does the computer restart when its left in bios?

12. Noob4ever

about the only thing I havent changed is the cdrom, but ive rebuilt the system w/o, I just did a fresh format and install of w7 on another drive, so thats not it. Only thing I havent done at this point is processor......

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I would try a surge protector between you and the wall outlet. You could be getting power drops.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

This is the problem I was having with my PC, it would randomly turn off, more frequently when I was moving my pc desk. I checked if anything was shorting out, it wasn't, I took the pc apart and put it back together, still happened. Then it stopped working altogether.

Turns out it was the motherboard. Currently waiting on a repair from Asus. Was strange though. I thought it was the PSU - I have a Corsair tx750 - but I got that tested and it's fine.

Edit: At least I hope it was the motherboard, and not something else that caused the motherboard to break. Otherwise I'm going to have the same issues when I get it back. Good Luck!

15. Noob4ever

well one of the reasons i switched motherboards is the gigabyte i had was giving me bsods at random, moving to the sabretooth stopped that but a month later this started happening.......