1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ivy Bridge processor line-up revealed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debs3759, 28 Nov 2011.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

2. Exangels

Exangels What's a Dremel?

thx for the links

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Going to be interesting to see how these differ from sandybridge processors.

I cant see there being enough of a performance bump to warrent me upgrading my 2500k, but my sabertooth supports ivybridge so I will keep an eye out to see how they get on!

4. debs3759

I think the biggest difference will be reduced power consumption, although there should be a minor performance bump (not enough to justify most SB users upgrading).

5. trig

trig god's little mistake

well, from what i have read about ivybridge, i doubt an ib cpu running at 3.4 ghz will outperform a sb cpu at 3.4 ghz by any significant margin, and based on the tdp, it looks like intel has opted to give ib users (socket 1155) the benefit of the power savings and ib-e (2011 or w/e it will be) will get the more powah benefit. makes sense...you don't want ib outperforming sb-e...
    most likely the benefit to ib vs sb other than just tdp will be that ib will oc like a monster...

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

meh but there are already people with sandybridge already talking about moving to ivy bridge in these forums for what will be a base 100-300mhz upgrade at most. With no real likelyhood even OCing ivy bridge will be any better than what you get from OC-ing sandybridge chips at present.

Those that upgrade from sandy to ivy are just there for the bragging rights, have money to burn or have the upgrade compulsion.

7. trig

actually the improved oc potential is very real, based on the features of the new processor design and what we know to be true in regards to the factors that contribute to oc stability, but i hear you. anyone saying they are definitely upgrading based on information out now is all about e-peen...love that avatar btw o.0

8. debs3759

The only way I will be buying IB will be if ASUS fix my faulty motherboard on RMA and I can't sell it for a good price. Then I will need a processor for it :)

IB-E (or IB-EP) is another matter if the power saving is significant enough :)

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Power saving... yeah.. I saw nearly 700 watts at the wall socket the other day while benching... LOL I can say with some certainty that I'll be buying IB-E.

10. trig

damnit man...that avatar is just too busy..lol...

700 watts? christ...what were you running?

11. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

A nice little upgrade from sandy bridge CPU's. But way to minor of an improvement for me to even think about upgrading.

12. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

700w includes running dual 580's I guess

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

well... yeah... true. But it's still a chunk of power for my main rig. Having said that.. that's benching. Usually, with speedstep active, and just loafing along at 1200MHz and the GPUs at 50MHz it's only pulling around 250watts.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Remember IB also has increased instructions per clock, and the Tri gate transistor funkiness. I bet they'll hit 5+GHz, and still use less power than my aging C2Q...

This is the upgrade I've been waiting for :D

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Intel have reverted to a silly naming system again.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

They should just call the 3750K the 'WINNING' :p

17. debs3759

Some more slides have turned up showing claimed performace boosts for IB. The benchamrks they show indicate the IB will be approx 18% better than SB for CPU performance (over a range of tests), and up to almost 200% better for onboard gpu performance. As most people who use the higher end processors will have a discrete gpu, I'm not sure how much real difference the upgraded onboard gpu will make to most of us :)

Until Intel get it taken off google, you can also view a complete Intel Desktop Roadmap, including chipsets, processors, storage and more. Download the pdf if it's useful to you, as it may not stay long if Intel hear about it :)

18. trig

looks good...if i still have a pc when that hits, most likely that will be my upgrade.

19. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Looks like I can maybe get a 15-20% improvement in FAH if I upgrade :)

Roll on Q2!