1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Mod in a Week // "Fallout Cause SP" (True Final Picks)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Luciel, 26 Nov 2011.

1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow, these painting effects looks great bro!!! I love how you did the rust effect without any real rust chemicals or paints. Your experiments made it at the end! :)

2. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

thank you bro though´t you´d like it ; )

At first I did think of some chemicals, these would be ok for metal but they wouldn´t work on plastic and it didnt make sense doing half and half, but yeah after several hours of trying different combinations with just standard paint tones, I´m really pleased on how it turned out : )

3. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

6th Day - Thursday 01-12-11 - Update 1

1st of the month, white rabbits! :D

cough*cough*ahem... aniway!

As I mentioned yesterday, the wireless keyboard and mouse arrived. I could´ve gone for something fancier but to be honest I really like the standard logitech oem combo, it´s cheap, great quality, sturdy and lasts just about forever. So here we go, keyboard sanded down, masked and ready for painting:

[​IMG]

First layer done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the same process as with the rest, darkening, particles, and... rust! I´d never though I´d say this, but, I really really really like the whole rusty look it´s turning out to have (originally I planned for only a bit).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now I´d like to thank everyone on every forum this is posted who helped me out with suggestions for the front of the case.

I ended up mixing two suggestions, one was rusted out front and the other one was olive green light coat with a light coat of the yellow I used on the rest of the case on top, so here you have the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More later today, thanks for reading!

4. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

PS: Is there some specific proceduro to apply this for mod of the month? : P

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

You have to wait to get selected by the bit tech guys.

6. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

thanks for the info, fingers crossed even though I doubt it, to much good competition :p

7. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

6th Day - Thursday 01-12-11 - Update 2

This for me is quite simply, the cherry on top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took me about 2 and half to 3 hours to get it just right, to get that look like it´s been stamped on the case rather than painted (in my oppinion aniway), hope you guys like it!

Tomorrow starts the final day (ends mid-day saturday), and as of now, all the modifying and painting is finished so tomorrow I will be assembling it all togueter (ps: didn´t take pictures but the psu, dvd rw and hd have been painted black, it´s almost my signature thing to paint all possible components so... nothing fancy, just mainly so no ugly grey bits to see through the openings) and taking loads of pictures of the final look which will conclude succesfully the "Mod in a Week" challenge.

Thanks for reading : )

8. dr.c.strange

dr.c.strange What's a Dremel?

sick effect you have there, the rust 'splatter' effect is excellent. though i have to say, i think a lesser amount of rust would look better, i think youve overkilled it a bit :worried:

9. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

thanks : ) I guess its just a question of prefference when it comes to how much rust to apply : )

10. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Where are you from?
    Sao Paulo per chance?

11. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

nope, Málaga, South of Spain, why? : )

12. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Silly me.. I was hoping you could be my neighbor :D

13. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

ah well, next time! :p

14. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Super nice, a mod where you can mess up but it stills fit in is always a good one :lol:

15. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

in deed! it´s a refreshing change from the usual : )

7th Day - Friday 02-12-11

Assembly took longer than I thought it would but almost there, the following pictures are the process, because I had to remove the HDD cage from bellow to install the monitor´s hardware and hide cables I had to dismantle the memory card reader to take out the pcb and cut the frontal plastic part that goes with it. Once done and used silicone glue to put them togueter and again to attach it to the case (as you will see in one of the pictures), this allowed me to install the hdd where that would normally go (i.e. enough space to do so now). The cathodes are barely visible but are at the top and on the right side. Also due to popular demand, I replaced the cpu cooler with another exactly the same one, modified the 775 adaptor so I could shift it half a centimetre to right so I´d be able to rotate the cooler to a possition where the heatpipes are pointing up and down as opposed to the side so it doesn´t prevent me from installing both modules of ram:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just have to mount the screen, make sure it works and I can take some sweet final pictures, all done by tomorrow at around 6-7pm gmt+1 in order to meet the one week challenge.

Thanks for reading!

16. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Update:

Project is now completed however I have ran in to a problem with the mounted screen, it doesn´t seem to be getting power, I´ve checked the usual culprits to no avail and I dont currently own a voltimetre which is unconveniente. Going to dismantle the screen´s hw and test it on a wooden bench, maybe it´s shorting out. Because I want the final picks to show an image I will wait to upload them till I get this fixed between today and monday.

17. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Update

Fixed the screen, one of the cables must´ve cought somewhere and was damaged, severing the link between the screen´s psu and the lcd panel. So I cut that section off and soldered new cable to both ends, works fine now. Took me hours of looking and trying stuff till I saw the small brake in the cable and of course later I had to put it all togueter in the case again.

Aniway, I´m knakered and now I have to go some event to be social which I don´t really feel like but promised I would so... Aniway, I will set it all up for a shoot tomorrow to get a nice gallery of final pictures.

18. Luciel

Luciel Needs more rust

Final Pictures - Set 1

Hi everyone!

Right, as promised, here is a first set of the final pictures. I say first set because I´m not happy with them, light conditions, the need to use flash and reflections on the case by nearby windows, the table (that was a dumb idea) and so on, make the project look different, they make it look shiny (which is not), they distort the colors, you can barely see the green glow, etc

The point is, because I´m out of time right now I give you these just as a preview of some nicer final pictures which I will take at the modding event starting tuesday. Regardless, I hope you enjoy them : )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That´s it for now, I´m going to get it ready (install the OS, drivers, and so on, and pack it so it´s ready for tuesday. Once that´s out of the way I will start the final stage on Project: AIO AL and Project: Diabolo in the hopes of having them ready for tuesday as well.

This concludes the "Mod in a Week" challenge (for the second time, anyone remember my first one or has it been forgotten already? :p) and I hope you enjoyed reading and watching as much as I did doing it.

Thanks for reading!

19. devilmad123

devilmad123 What's a Dremel?

wow, amazing.
    I don't like this style mod but I have to admit your project is great: simple and beauty.

20. digitalerr0r

digitalerr0r What's a Dremel?

looks nice (=