1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Building a wife pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyndre, 1 Dec 2011.

1. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Hi,

So my wife wants a new pc and I promised her one for christmas! I'd really appreciate some advice as I just built myself a water cooled system but that was with a 4k budget. I'm believe it or not struggling to build one on a more reasonable budget.

She wants to play SWTOR when it comes out and games like BF3 and Magicka with high graphics settings on 1920 x 1080 resolution.

I'm going to give her my TJ07 case probably as I'm moving to a caselabs and hers will be a straight forwards low maintenance air build.

I'm so far thinking something like

i7 2500k
    EVGA Z68 SLI Motherboard
    8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
    Antec Kúhler H2O 920 cooler
    120GB SSD Corsair Force Series GT SSD
    Corsair AX850 PSU
    Windows 7 Home x64
    Samsung Blu-Ray Combo, SH-B123L/RSBP
    2GB Sapphire FLEX HD6970

Any advice guys?

debs3759 likes this.
  2. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

Looks like your wife is going to get a pretty decent gaming rig with those components :) +1 rep (because I see too many people wanting to cut corners for wife builds!)

3. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Looks more than adequate, although I think the Blu Ray players a bit naff unless you'd actually use it :D

I'd also go for a Corsair H100 as it's easier to fit/mount and much lower temps, but other than that it's good :p

4. mikeyandrewb

mikeyandrewb What's a Dremel?

Nice build. Your wife is very lucky!!! :D

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

A solid build that will last, that is. Only things I would suggest is a big storage hard drive, but prices being what they are I can't really do that. And get W7 home premium, not home basic (you didn't specify which home version you were getting).

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Sounds like you're building a PC to replace your wife! :D

7. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

Cheers guys good to know I'm on the right track....to be fair she's getting very lucky this christmas as I already bought her an ipad2 but hey is nice to see her excited about it all.

Now to get enough overtime to replenish my coffers :p

8. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

If its just for gaming then ditch the 2600k in favor of the I5 2500K, also that PSU is way overkill, something like a good 650w will easily handle that system plus a 6970

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It sounds like Cyndre could single-handedly restart the UK economy shaunster1011. I'd keep that quiet! ;)

10. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

His specs are for a 2500K, not a 2600K :)

11. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

ah sorry, he has put I7 2500k, I just saw I7 followed by numbers :D

12. Cyndre

Cyndre What's a Dremel?

lol I think the amount I spent on my own gave a few companies a nice boost :p The wife just likes to game on hers and is a bit of a star wars fanatic.

I game on ultra settings and need more performance and mine is also for work based software projects and occassionally 3d rendering.
    Did look at the new X79 but it was so dissapointing. My money's on ivy bridge.

I missed off the HDD as I'm going to give her one of my spare 1TB drives, got a caviar blue and a samsung F3 lying around unused. The current HDD prices are ridiculous and I can afford for them to cool down a bit.

Would quite like a couple more 3TB Caviar blacks myself and set up a NAS as I'm already down to 50 GB on my own drive and 10GB on my SSD :( very sad panda!

13. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I hope you get more than just a "thank you" on christmas morning ...nudge nudge wink wink ...say nooo more...

14. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Comments in above quote.

I assume budget isn't a problem, but I have made these comments on a price vs benefit basis.

With a few changes you could probably save £100+ without any noticable effect on performance / usability / upgradability.