1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC build for £800 - needs your opinion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lammar1987, 2 Dec 2011.

1. lammar1987

lammar1987 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I am planning to build a PC, my budget is £800 and I will be using it for software development (and some gaming - Diablo 3). This is what I came up with:

- Intel Core i7 2600k 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    - Antec TruePower New 650W Modular PSU
    - LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black with Nero Essentials
    - Casecom 6788 All Black Case
    - XFX HD 6870 900MHz 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Dual Mini DisplayPort HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
    - Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
    - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered
    - Xenta SATA 3 Cable 6Gbps - 64cm
    - Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB Cache

It would be great if you could tell me what you think. I am buying all the parts from eBuyer for tomorrows delivery.

Thanks!!!

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

NO!

A decent case will save you much time and effort.

3. lammar1987

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It's a great case but the Coolermaster CM 690 II is a dust bunny. I upgraded from the 690II to a Fractal R3 and the difference is very noticeable. My components are clean as the day they were installed.

Given the choice now I'd probably get the Fractal Design Arc Case

http://www.ebuyer.com/276197-fractal-design-arc-case-fd-ca-arc-bl

5. lammar1987

Thanks, and what about other components?

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You go mATX and get the rather wonderful Silverstone TJ08-E. I'm going to post my build log soon but I have been very impressed with it. Small, cool and quiet. Combine that with a Gene-Z and your rocking!

Last edited: 2 Dec 2011
  8. lammar1987

Big thanks man!

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I agree with everything.
    -> Fractal Design case. (well the case you pick is an insult to humanity... (ok, not that bad, I've seen worse... but still) talking about having a computer that will sound like a jet reactor).
    -> geforce 560Ti Special Edition (New, from Nvidia, nearly as fast as the GTX 570, but cheaper)
    -> SATA cable is provided by the motherboard
    -> Avoid Seagate HDD's (too noisy, not great quality). I recommend Samsung SpinPoint F3, or the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB. These, while 7200RPM HDD, are very fast HDD's, due to their low number of platter, ad high density.Western Digital is quieter then the Samsung, but costs more. Note that HDD prices has increase due to the manufacture problems in Thailand due to the flooding damaging HDD component and manufactures equipment and manufacture facility.

You MAY need a case fan for the fractal design. All depends on your setup, mainly how quiet you want your computer (fan speed), and if you plan to overclock or not. If you decide to not get additional fans, or replace them (for better ones of course, the one in the case aren't bad per say), I suggest to get these (or similar): http://waycoolmodz.com/images/products/others/rubber_fan_mounts_1.jpg
    They are fan rubber mounts.

The above are really inexpensive, and comes in a set of 4, and will absorb the fan vibrations (you use these instead of screws, to hold the fan). I suggest to get an extra set, in the case one of the rubber thing breaks during install, as they are a bit tricky to install, but the results are great. It's ok if you don't have them, it's just if you want an extra level of quietness. Usually, good fans (if you buy extra) comes with a set. It's just an idea.

Beside that, all looks good. I am not sure about the PSU, but if people day it's ok, then probably it is.

A lesson I learned:
    -> You always get what you paid for in technology.
    -> Going budget, even for a computer case, is NOT WORTH IT. Unless you enjoy trying to fix problems daily, and trying to find workarounds non-stop, and stuff breaks non-stop (which wll cost you more at the end of the day). Just get good quality product and you'll enjoy far more your computer.

Last edited: 2 Dec 2011
  10. lammar1987

one more question, in the speck above I chose i7 2600k. I have seen that many people say that 2600k is a waste of money and i5 2500 has a similar performance and is a lot cheaper. What are your thoughts on that?

11. djtech

djtech What's a Dremel?

I was just about to tell you to get a 2500k and spend more money on the gfx card. Get a 6950 2gb and unlock it to a 6970. Absolutly AMAZING Price Perfomance ratio of the PC in general then. Either that or go for a 560ti 448 (They OC like mad)

But honestly, a 2500k is your best bet. They go stupidly fast anyway and you will be saving alot of cash.

EDIT - Get the Rev3 of the P8Z68 PRO - It has PCIe 3.0 support once an Ivy Bridge CPU is dropped in :p

12. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

As djtech said you should definitely go for a 2500k the difference is unnoticeable between to two CPUs unless you do a lot of video editing or folding.
    And the PSU got a very favourable review in Custom PC and I've only heard good points about...
    (Also the planned PSU for my next build :) )

So, once you pick one of the suggested cases and use a 2500k (which should save you some money :thumb: ) you'll have an excellent build!

13. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Oh wow, I honestly read your CPU as the 2500K. yes definitely get the 2500K instead of the 2600K. Unless you do heavy multi-core processing specifically because of HT. But else then that... 2500K all the way.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Check with your software to see if the i5-2600K presents any benefits.

15. mstrchf

mstrchf What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised no one mentioned it but if you were trying to save money on a case get an Antec 100. Very well made. Depends if you want something flashier though. Those ebuyer pics don't do it justice.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/246639-antec-one-hundred-100-case-0761345-15240-2

I'd go with an i5 2500k and overclock it with a decent cooler like the Be quiet Dark rock and i'd also recommend a Samsung F3 harddrive too.

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

^ You do not need to OC a 2500K for normal tasks. Wait until you actually need the performance before ramming unnecessary volts through the silicon :/

The 690II is not such a dust bunny (though I'd agree its filters are a bit cheap), I've used it in a carpeted room and a hard-floor room with no dust trouble.

17. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I converted mine to an 'ultra-dust-bunny' recently with a Delta server fan strapped in! :D

Have a look...

[​IMG]

18. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Well if you're going to be using server fans... :p Why on earth did you need to put that in there?

19. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Because! :p

Been wrestling with temperatures on this EVGA 680i so I installed a HR-05 IFX heatsink on the Northbridge and kitted it out with a server fan. Just need an on/off switch now and I'm set for some insane E8500 overclocking on air. It's my play/test rig anyway so anything goes in my 690II case! :thumb:

20. lammar1987

BIG Thanks again for all your comments, they were very helpful. Actually, I am writing this post from my new PC :D
    These are the parts I bought:

- Antec TruePower New 650W Modular PSU
    - LiteOn iHAS124-19 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive
    - Asus P8Z68-V PRO Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
    - Item: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered
    - Item: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
    - Item: Fractal Design Arc Case
    - Item: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache
    - Item: Asus GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card

The build is awesome. 5x faster than my old PC. Now I am downloading the Witcher 2 and I can't wait so see it in action.

By the way, before booting Windows I get very strange message "Hard drive not detected". The PC restart itself and then it loads Windows correctly. It happens every time I turn on the machine.
    I connected the HDD and DVD using 'SATA 3Gb/s cables to Intel Z68 Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s connectors' located on the MB. Both drivers are also visible in BIOS.

Any ideas why that happens?

Tags: