1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Skyrim?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Karas, 15 Sep 2011.

1. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

I am using that fix and just had a CTD with no warning or errors.
    :(

Starting to lose patience with this now. I have no mods installed (apart from the LAA fix).

2. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Have you made any ini changes? The only time I had CTDs with the LAA fix was when I was running with uGrids=11 - and only then when my saves got quite large.

How often does it CTD?

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I really hope they fix the resistance issue soon. Ancient dragons or strong mages kill me in no time on Master now. :(

4. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Not sure really. Sometimes I'll
    Get a whole session other times it'll crash within the hour. I can't seem to see a pattern.

5. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well, if it was memory allocation related, it normally crashes regularly and quickly. I don't really know what to suggest other than making sure you hit F5 often to quicksave. You could try verifying the game cache on Steam to see if there are any missing/corrupt files.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

How large is large? My saves are ~9MB at the minute, and I have noticed increasing amounts of crash-to-desktop behaviour as I've got further into the game. But it is random - sometimes I'll get two hours of game in before a crash, other times it'll do it after ten minutes.

Large Address Aware seems to make little/no difference.

I'm far more likely to have Skyrim crash on me if I've got the Steam overlay web browser open, even if the overlay isn't 'on' at the time.

edit: I had my first game-breaking bug today, with a quest that won't complete. "Go kill dragon at x" was the instruction. Get there to a dragon flying backwards, then able to travel 2/3rds of the map of Skyrim in about a second... which then gets stuck on a tree, flailing around... and which won't die. It just won't die.

Bang goes my enthusiasm for playing.

Last edited: 3 Dec 2011
  7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

When stuff like that happens, you've just got to laugh and relaod.

Not happended much for me really though.

I find Dragons have a really short attention span though. THey end up, quite often, fighting anyone but me. Passing rabbits, deer, bears and trolls. Still, I get a dragon soul for free when they do!

8. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Well, looking back at my old saves, the size is probably a red herring - back when I was running ugrids=11 my saves were about 8Mb, now they are over 10Mb and everything is great - I haven't had a crash for days.

WIth the dragion flying backwards thing, you should maybe wait until the next patch hits from Bethesda (any day now apparently) which fixes the stuff they broke in the last patch!! PC users get the patch first this time.

Back to the crashing - if it is just once in a while, you just may have to live with it as 'one of those things'. Maybe you'll be lucky and one of the patches will fix it.

9. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Have been enjoying the game.

However, also many ctd errors.

Now with the patch installed ctd less, but the a and d keys fail in the lockpick screens, making it now annoying to play.

10. Treacles

Treacles Minimodder

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

well I might as well post on some fixes.. had to use the console to remove some quest items like finns lute and briar hearts (I got the lute before I met that lady in the bards college)

and I had to use a command to reset markarth after I freed the leader of the forsworn, even though I was in with the thieves guild, the guards still wouldn't let it go.. and I couldn't serve jailtime for some reason after letting everyone go in the mine

also there was one quest I had to setstage to complete- was one of the word walls, I already maxed out the shout.. you could go up to it and hear the chanting, but the word never lit up so couldn't finish it

but far as crashing, been playing without any crashes at all.. fixed that when bought it- just ctrl+alt+delete at the menu (where it says continue) and bring up the task manager

alt+tab if you still don't see it.. set affinity to the last core only.. then alt+tab back to the menu

now alt+tab back to task manager and set skyrim to run on all cores.. I have a dual core so maybe set it to use just 2

alt+tab back in and play.. you shouldn't have any crashing after that.. strange I had the same issue with orcs must die- so thinking it's a windows issue

running a dual core oc'd to 4.2ghz and ati 6970 (935/1464) with cat 10.6 if that helps anyone.. the card has 2gb of video ram on it- so that might be a factor

but if your exiting to desktop (not crashing.. but where the game just closes and your back to desktop) then that should fix it.. games stable far as I can tell =]

my saves are 15gb.. probably because I litter everywhere I go!

12. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

:hehe: This one really made me rofl: C.A.D.

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I don't get any CTDs but what I do get is massive slow downs that occur randomly and eventually force me to restart the game because they never correct themselves.

14. thehippoz

batched some pics.. crazy played hours this weekend

the game is pretty much what I dreamed of playing as a kid.. liked oblivion and morrowind too- just this game has a very good feel to it and the quests seem to never run out.. still finding deep crypts and pulling dragons out the sky with rend

even one part where shout at that big orange ball with force in blackreach and a dragon comes out =] almost have to give this game 100% comparing it to anything else out there.. just never runs out of new stuff to do

kind of glad there's no chance to finish it anytime soon..

yeah.. I thought that was kind of stretching it too- the guys at the greybeard college were pretty funny too.. supposedly their voices are so powerful if they speak to a regular person- that person flys apart

I walked up and talked to one of them and the whole monastery shakes when he tried to speak =] think the voice and music had a lot of thought put in- noticed they like to slip in some really crazy comments though.. like guy in the huntsman- he manages to call you a bestard and then turns all nice again

and if you bump a guy in a melee while sprinting in.. he says watch where your going! like that's what would be on his mind while a claymore coming down on him :D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Dec 2011
    CrazyJoe likes this.
  15. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Call me crazy, but after finding Meeko (the dog) I freaked out when he took off towards the dragon during a fight. Afterwards I looked frantically for him and actually felt relieved when I found him hiding behind a boulder haha. I had to send him back to his shack. That dog grew on me as a companion and seems all too willing to lay his life down for you in the game. I'll admit, I hit that F9 button a few times when he was killed by an enemy.

16. thehippoz

yeah they did a pretty good job with the ai.. like when I was leveling alchemy- I was out looking for antlers..

saw a doe and buck up on a hill.. I managed to take down the buck and the doe was long gone.. or so I thought!

looting the buck, the doe came back and attacked me.. I felt kind of bad considering they were just foraging for food a minute earlier =} some good programming to get you thinking about your actions in game..

and enemies yield when they know they can't fleece you.. even flee in some cases- they really put a lot of thought into it.. not attack until you die sort

I dunno just get a buzz everytime play it.. your gears are turning looking at the stats and what to level next- quickest way to powerlevel.. then have all the content to abuse it on

oblivion I maxed out my character too- but it allowed you to have everything.. your limited in skyrim, so actually have to think about the path you want to take

some of the deadric items are sweet too.. like the ebony mail and ebony blade (has a vampiric effect).. use the ebony mail a lot for brotherhood missions

the muffle perk I'm still kind of fuzzy on.. there's no real information on it yet.. if you take the perk it's 50% to armor noise reduction

but if you enchant it onto armor.. it doesn't tell you how much is actually muffled

ran some tests and from what I can tell.. the ebony mail with the muffle perk is about all you need for max stealth.. you don't need to enchant muffle onto the boots- opens up another enchant slot on your armor without going with multiple pieces

managed to get over 100% magic resistance without a shield too.. take the alteration perks to get 30% vs magic.. then breton gives you 25%

enchant your amulet and ring with 23% each.. so I can sit in a dragons fire and nothing..

the poison perk works good too.. poison in a guys pockets + shadow stone and you can murder anyone in a crowded room without getting caught

there's also 47% x 4 to two handed enchanted on your armor pieces, with your two handed perks maxed out- the sprint and attack combo (x2) gives close to 400% damage.. basically with no pots you can take out a blood dragon in one hit.. elders in 3

actually one hit a elder and ancient before with a crit on the rush after rending it down on the ground =] giants and mammoths are one hit.. only thing is had to sacrifice everything magic to be that strong

only thing I use is candlelight and as an assassin- actually use that illusion spell 7th vision or something like that.. then can see without being spotted with a big ball of light over your head :thumb:

still haven't come across that dog.. sounds like I need to do more exploring

found I'm too out of control swinging the blade with those combos to have a buddy anymore- and I recruited all my house maids to work for the blades.. what kind of facked up job is that.. they sit around waiting for you to show up and lick your boot heels!

don't plan on marrying off either.. I would feel like I'm sweet in the pants playing a female- if I had to pick it would be the red headed house carl or a khageet.. too bad they don't have midgets- only thing missing

Last edited: 5 Dec 2011
  17. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I had a mass of game breaking bugs pile on me after playing for the first time since the patch. Thankfully the 4GB patch seems to have fixed things. I really wouldn't have liked to wait until the next bethesda patch.

18. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Pretty ****ing great

Jake123456 likes this.
  19. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

LMAO!!!

20. TheKrumpet

TheKrumpet Once more, into the breach!

Cross-post from Videos of Awesome: