1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EK improves nickel plating to solve corrosion issues

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Jul 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The problem with this is, unless you have a clear top cover, you can see if it's corroded inside without opening it up, with voids the warrenty...

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Wont the corroded pieces sink to the bottom of your reservoir though, which are usually clear?

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

I've got one of their supposedly faulty ones, and haven't seen any evidence of corrosion via debris. Supposedly Fesser 1 is included in the list of bad coollants, so I'm wondering if this is a case of several isolated cases. Not sure what algae inhibitor is used, but I don;t use a killcoil.... not since I bought several and read these articles...

5. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

The sticker is there to only cover against out-of-the-box leaks. If you remove it and the block fails in some other way, ie. corrode, it would still get covered. If you doubt you could put the o-ring back properly without causing a leak, you might wanna reconsider watercooling alltogether as you'd need to open the block at some point anyway for cleaning.

You can read about it from EK's site.

"EK blocks are sealed with warranty void circular label, which proves that the block has withstood a pressure
    leak test. Removing it will void only leaking issues. Any other RMA issues can be reported to
    support@ekwaterblocks.com for further analysis."

"Warranty Void If Removed" is pretty misleading though.

6. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Here is an advise for you EK:

Just friggin use the same method as EVERYONE ELSE!

You are the ONLY ones with this issue, and STILL blames it on the coolant...

Everyone can now look forward in a price increase in EK products dou to the "new nickel plating procedure"
    A price increase like that will proberly put EK up around the same price as AquaComputer, and who would want EK machining over AquaComputer?

7. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

In terms of design, then I would. But I'm right there with you. Hopefully - any price increase would come with a even greater quality increase.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Couldn't they just leave the blocks in original copper or brass? Steampunk! :rock:

9. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

Dont get your hopes up. There will still be very visible machining marks on the Ek blocks. No reason for them to turn down production speed and lose money when they can just fire away with some bs like "look at us, we use electolytes, beacuse thats whats plating crawes for"

The plating might improve, but that wont hide the marks in the copper base:)

10. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Really - Raising prices in this economic climate .... for the same products you now claim costs more due to some new process your moving to ...... not a good idea. Even if you "prove" the price increase justification. Not going to be an easy sell!

11. Baekkel

Baekkel Picky Picture Villian

I read the article about the corrosion while looking for a fullcover block for my RE3, and i must admit, i got a little scared about the entire thing.. Since i got a nickle platd cpu block from EK.
    and especially due to the debris in the loops that could cause severe injury to my little 'o' pump..

The proof of the lacking plating quality, and the "out of stock" tags thrown everywhere, i must say MIPS sure is a brilliant alternative, especially if EK bumps the pricetag even more...

12. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I wonder how much will be the price scaling. I'm very fond of EK but to have them at a ridiculous price, I'll be sad to say no to them. The decision about the nickel plating is very good news but the cost of it....

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

There were no pieces in my loop anywhere, and I double checked all of it apart from the rad... I have a copper one now though :)

14. ONUC

ONUC What's a Dremel?

Good to see that p0Pe (and friends) are back to hijack the thread again with the last word on design expertise, manufacturing processes, and marketing plans ... Good on EK for not sweeping the issue aside and coming up with a solution. Guess you can't satisfy everyone though ...

Last edited: 7 Aug 2011
  15. DirectOverkill

DirectOverkill What's a Dremel?

Unless Rubidium reveals his name he is just a shill doing a favor with partial test for RRT who is sponsored by Sidewinder, who own PT nuke brand. Do the math.
    And pope, go check tons of pics of other brands. Machining marks are everywhere. EK acrylic tops just allow to see the interior of block.

Tags: Add Tags