1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 5870 Had it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr Happy, 4 Dec 2011.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Hi all

Ok, i have a Sapphire HD 5870, i believe it has died and is only 2 year old, heres what happens.

Power on PC, the card spins really fast and the pc goes into a continous loop of restarting with no signal on monitor!

I have tried this card in a seperate PC and the same happens, replace with a different card and the PC works fine.

Anyone had any issues like this or know of some magic fix.
    I have not updated, overclocked or tampered in any way.

Thanks

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

If it's doing the same thing in different rigs then it sounds to me like its borked. You could try stripping every thing off it and try the old baking trick. Some times works

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Cheers mate, i believe it has went to G card heaven, just trying to see what warranty this thing had.

Oh well :waah:

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Don't strip the card yet!

Read my signature thread and try to get a partial refund.

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks Blogins, nice one ;)

6. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

No Problem. In your case I would get the retailer to apply the equation for a refund. Since the Sale of Goods Act 1979 is relevant for 6 years and this card has died in normal use without tampering you should get a refund on 4 years. For arguments sake if you spent £300 on this 5870 then the following equation applies...

£300 (Divide by Sale of Goods Act in years, 6) = £50 per year of use

£50 (Multiply by years of use, 2) = £100

£300 (Original value subtract equivalent monetary use, £100) = £200 refunded

To be more fair I suggest you apply this equation in months. Otherwise I would suggest seeking a suitable replacement from the retailer or alternatively a repair of the 5870. Although the latter is unlikely seeing as it is an end of line product.

7. The Protocol

The Protocol What's a Dremel?

Just RMA it and hope for the best. The worst they can say is no and bill you for handling. You should get at least £20 for a faulty 5870 on ebay

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I think I'd rather use UK consumer law for the chance of hundreds or an equivalent replacement! :D