1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by felix the cat, 5 Dec 2011.

1. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

Hello Chaps,

with my soon to arrive Corsair Force 3 SSD I have been looking at a small system overhaul to be able to take full advantage of a nice n fast SSD! (shitty SATA3 controller on the X58 would be the bottleneck).

so I have been looking at the following:

Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, S1155, Sndy Bridge, Quad, 3.3GHz, HD3000 IGP 850Mhz, 6MB Cache 95W Retail
    £169.38

16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V
    £70.99

Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev3, Intel P67, S1155, PCI-E 2.0, DDR3 1866, SATA 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX
    £95.60

...any reasons why I should or should not go for any of these components? I have the X58 Sabertooth and I quite like it so at 95 pounds the P67 version seems like a good buy (I don't think I would use the advantages of a Z68 chipset motherboard - onboard gfx is sooo 2001 :p )

also - what would be your thoughts on cooling? go for a good aircooler to overclock this badboy or stretch the non-existant budget some more for a H60 or something like that?

Thanks

2. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

So umm, why do you want to upgrade? Do you game alot, or use CPU heavy applications?

Because if youve got a X58 i can guess youve got at least a pretty decent CPU still. The 2500k may be better, but not a really noticable amount.

Seems to me that an upgrade would be a waste, at least for the CPU/board. Maybe put that money to upgrade the GPU, or monitor, or case.

3. felix the cat

I am happy with my monitor/GPU/Case.

It is mainly for the SSD, and I am only thinking about doing it as a mate has offered to buy my old parts of me, so it would be a 100pound investment on my behalf to get full SSD speeds.

Is there any reason why I should pay the extra 40 for example to get the m-atx ROG Asus Gene V (or whatever its called) that is thought to be so good?

4. digitalerr0r

digitalerr0r What's a Dremel?

i would say just wait for posion ivy bridge =P, how exactly will the sata 3 controller be bottleneck, you should just run some test and see if you get the average read/write speeds to determine weather you need to upgrade or not .

5. felix the cat

It is the shitty marvel controller on the x58 boards :(

No SB owners have opinions on the mainboard? And or what coolers are good which are not?

6. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Don't dump your entire system for a little extra read speed. Grab a Highpoint Rocket 620 for £29 from Scan, which will give you 2 SATA 6Gbps on a PCI-E x1, or if you're feeling especially flash and planning on adding more drive in to the mix soon, the RocketRaid 640 for £95 here.

The 620 is PCI-E x1, the 640 is PCI-E x4 (so will need a full-length slot to work at its best).

Badabing, badaboom.

7. felix the cat

The Highpoint R620 uses the same chipset as my mobo - so it won't make any difference :s

Also the 640 uses the same chipset aswell so no go there:
    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/usa_new/series_rr600.htm

If there was a decent IO card available I would consider it, but seeing as the cheapest one is roughly 150 pounds its just not worth it. I just see it as a possibility to upgrade to SB, without loosing *that* much money (I think for £100 the upgrade is worth it).

...Anyway - if any SB owners have the Sabertooth and they can vouch for it being good that would be great!

8. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

RocketRAID 640 and Rocket 620 results on the Crucial C300 here.

Besides, SB isn't an "upgrade" from X58. It's a sideways step. I speak from experience.

What are the speeds on your current SATA 6Gbps ports?

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Personally I wouldn't even worry about it. I would run it on the Intel ichr10 for the reliability and trim support, or if you really feel like you couldn't sleep at night without sata 6gbps get one of the better add on cards for it.
    I have a few ssd which range in speeds and I really can't tell the difference real world unless I'm copying files where I can see the MB/s.