1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Let's play a little game...

Discussion in 'General' started by Bitemebad91, 6 Dec 2011.

1. Bitemebad91

Bitemebad91 What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody, little scenario here just for fun. :)

You are a member of a space crew originally scheduled to rendezvous with a mother ship on the lighted surface of the moon. However, due to mechanical difficulties, your ship was forced to land at a spot some 200 miles from the rendezvous point. During reentry and landing, much of the equipment aboard was damaged and, since survival depends on reaching the mother ship, the most critical items available must be chosen for the 200-mile trip. Below are listed the 15 items left intact and undamaged after landing. Your task is to rank order them in terms of their importance for your crew in allowing them to reach the rendezvous point. Place the number 1 by the most important item, the number 2 by the second most important, and so on through number 15 for the least important.

Items:

Box of matches
    Food concentrate
    50 feet of nylon rope Parachute silk
    Portable heating unit
    Two .45 caliber pistols
    One case of dehydrated milk
    Two 100 lb. tanks of oxygen
    Stellar map
    Self-inflating life raft
    Magnetic compass
    20 liters of water
    Signal flares
    First aid kit, including injection needle
    Solar-powered FM receiver-transmitter

What order from 1 to 15 Would you rank them? Have fun haha!

----------------------------
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.8ghz | GeForce gtx 460 @ 800mhz | 6 gig corsair xms3 tripplechannel ddr3 @ 1600mhz | raven rv01 case | watercooled 360 rad 40c load temps | gigabyte ga-x58-USB3 mobo | Logitech G510 gaming keyboard | Logitech G700 gaming mouse | Razer Goliathus Extended Control Edition mousepad

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

1. Space suits...............................oh dear :worried:

:D

3. Bitemebad91

Haha didn't notice that lol

----------------------------
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.8ghz | GeForce gtx 460 @ 800mhz | 6 gig corsair xms3 tripplechannel ddr3 @ 1600mhz | raven rv01 case | watercooled 360 rad 40c load temps | gigabyte ga-x58-USB3 mobo | Logitech G510 gaming keyboard | Logitech G700 gaming mouse | Razer Goliathus Extended Control Edition mousepad

4. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Two 100 lb. tanks of oxygen
    20 liters of water
    Food concentrate
    Stellar map
    50 feet of nylon rope Parachute silk
    Self-inflating life raft
    Solar-powered FM receiver-transmitter
    Signal flares
    Box of matches
    First aid kit, including injection needle
    One case of dehydrated milk
    Two .45 caliber pistols
    Magnetic compass

Portable heating unit ?

I'm torn between what is more useless of the bottom two. I don't know if you'd be on the light side of the moon the entire time, but I assume the heater won't do much for you in your space suit if you are on the dark side? Its the only thing I'm not really sure where to place.

Also, there are only 14 things on your list.

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

You're not thinking like a gamer. Did you never play with the flying tank in GTA?

1 - Use radio to contact mothership and determine a direction for rendezvous and face that way.
    2 - Turn 180 degrees.
    3 - Drop flare.
    4 - Jump and fire repeatedly until you reach your destination. Backwards.
    5 - Enjoy a nice warm drink of milk.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

1. Two 100 lb. tanks of oxygen
    2. 20 liters of water
    3. Self-inflating life raft
    4. One case of dehydrated milk
    5. Stellar map
    6. Food concentrate
    7. 50 feet of nylon rope Parachute silk
    8. Signal flares
    9. First aid kit, including injection needle
    10. Solar-powered FM receiver-transmitter
    11. Magnetic compass

Drop:
    Box of matches
    Portable heating unit
    Two .45 caliber pistols

Reasoning: Worst case scenario oxygen and water are two essentials for a 200 mile journey, you simply won't make it without them. The raft? It's a sled. Weight is reduced on the moon but even just your oxygen and water will be cumbersome so you'll want something to carry them in. If you get someone who's hurt or unable to walk for whatever reason this can be used to carry them as well. The milk is an easy way to get nutrients along with your water. Now that the supplies needed to physically get to the ship are in place you'll want a stellar map for navigation, these are space ship crewmen, they should be able to use it. Food comes in at 6th because milk is only the bare essentials needed to only barely survive. Paracord can be used for all sorts of things, first thought comes using it to tow the raft sled or secure items within it. Signal flares are useful in case a search party comes by and need to be flagged down. First-aid kit comes down pretty far in the list because so many other items were just too necessary whereas there's a chance no one will ever need a first-aid kit. It'll also be tough to use in a space suit. The FM reciever/transmitter really is dependant upon whether the base can transmit using it. I placed it this low assuming that FM radio was not a standard means of communication, if it is then place this as number one: radio for help and wait. The compass likely won't be useful on the moon, but it's light and maybe someone can make use of it. At the very least once the general direction is found by the stellar map it can be used to maintain course or use dead reckoning when manouvering around obstacles.

A heater? Correct me if I'm wrong but my interpretation is a space heater which, ironically, won't work in space (no atmosphere to heat). Matches also won't work (no oxygen) and the pistols should be so useless that they aren't worth their diminished weight (does smokeless powder need oxygen?).

7. Bitemebad91

Flares have a self oxidizer in them do they don't need oxygen, the 45 caliber pistols ( this is all according to NASA ) can be used along side with the life raft as a self propulsion devise /: makes heaps of sense.. Not

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Low-grav environment + reaction-based weapon = Newton's 3rd law exploited as transport.

9. RevDarny

RevDarny Minimodder

I think we can toss the compass and matches they're probably going to be the least effective on the moon.

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You've all missed the best plan lol

1. Raft
    2. Oygen tanks
    3. Everything else.

Assuming that there's still some atmosphere left in ship, attach the oxygen tanks to the raft. Get in. Open outside door. Open oxygen tank. 0-Fast in about a second with any luck :D Oh and forget the stellar map, I don't think anyone's mapped the stars viewable from the moon lol

11. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

the guns. shot everyone. then shoot myself.

end of story.

ok jk. here's my take.

there are only 14. so i'll take the liberty of 2nd post guess that #0 item is a space suit :D and assuming ur crew and urself can fit in the raft:

1. water.
    2. 1x oxygen tanks.
    3. 50ft nylon.
    4. box of matches.
    5. flares.
    6. first aid kit.
    7. milk.
    8. the rest if can fit anything.

eat the food. inflate the raft. attach 1 of the oxygen tank to the raft as propulsion device. attach pistol to valve of tank, supplying the guns with oxygen to shoot. open the tank, shoot off with a gun to ignite. and voila. instant jet-powered hovercraft.
    use the other gun as sideways and uplift propulsion.

incase oxygen tank run off before 200-miles, dont use the other tank. use it to divide equally between the crew to make it till the end using the 7 items listed above. and dump the rest.

if anyone is injured or too lazy, use the nylon to make a makeshift sled to be pulled by 2 people.

only problem: how do u consume water in out of space... if the water are one of those space-pack containers that require u to open ur suit to drink, well... :duh:
    and what is a portable heating space? im assuming it could be useful for warming up incase we got stranded in the dark side of the moon, but i dont see myself cooking anything or turning that into any kind of useful device....

edit: this is assuming there's only 1 flare where u can signal off incase the last mile is too hard and u need to get an attention.
    if there's more than 1 flare, i suppose u can swap the 1st gun to ignite the oxygen tank with it.