1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The airsoft thread!

Discussion in 'General' started by crazyg1zm0, 30 Oct 2008.

1. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

After sacrificing various small animals, lighting lots of candles, and drawing a big pentagram on the floor in chalk, I invoke necromancy to resurrect this thread to answer me this:

Where's good for 'softing in London? I want to get UKARA registered as quickly and as cheaply as possible, preferably by renting an AEG. Suggestions?

2. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

London doesn't have very good 'Softing places (some are downright abysmal).

Try going to The Mall in Reading (Run by First & Only). Been there a number of times and its pretty damn sweet, plus I heard they opened up some different routes around the place since I was last there.

3. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Ahh an Airsoft thread! Always wanted to get into this, very much.

Can someone explain how you go about to getting started in Airsofting?

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Hadn't realised there was an airsoft thread!

Best bet is to find a site local to you that does rentals - see whether you'd like it first (probably go when it's a little warmer though... :D).

Check UKARA's website for registered airsoft sites.

If you like it, and are looking for a gun of your own, play three games in no less than 2 months at the same site, and ask the site for a UKARA form (or print one off, fill it in, get the site to stamp it, and send it to FireSupport - one of the bigger airsoft retailers in the UK, who set up UKARA when airsoft was looking like it was going to be banned a few years ago). Once you're registered on the UKARA database, and have received your player number, you can purchase realistic imitation firearms from any reputable UK airsoft retailer (quoting the number).

UKARA is the United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association, and is setup to allow airsoft players a (relatively) simple way of proving that they regularly attend airsoft 'skirmishes' - which is one of only three reasons that one can purchase a realistic imitation firearm (the others being re-enacting and film) - otherwise it is illegal to purchase an RIF. Note that UKARA registration is not like a shotgun license - it's buying them that's illegal, not ownership per-se.

Any questions, fire away (sorry!)

Jake123456 likes this.
  5. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Thanks! Any sites which you can say are good around Birmingham? Or the West Midlands in general?

6. Christof_II

Christof_II SNAAAAAAAKE!!!

The reason you didn't realise this tread existed is because its pretty much dead but seems to get resurrected roughly every 6 months

7. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Ỳup that it does :p and xmas time is a quiet time for most players due to cold weather etc

8. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Actually it's selling them that's illegal, purchasing or attempting to purchase can't get you in trouble with the law.

Where abouts exactly are you based?

9. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

hey all,

seeing as I don't need to deal with UKARA, I'm looking to pick up a metal 1911.

anyone have a reccomendation for a place to buy in the US, as well as a decent brand? and should I be looking for a gas or spring gun?

10. Marvin-HHGTTG

Evike and Airsoft GI are meant to be ok from what I've read.

Springer pistols are generally dull. Gas blowbacks give you more realistic guns (as they're more expensive, the manufacturers put more effort into the looks), a fully moving/recoiling slide (which is always fun) and semi or fully automatic fire. They are however more expensive to buy, and to run (gas required), and there's more to go wrong. Having said that, they're now pretty reliable, and M1911s are common enough so parts won't be an issue (nor will someone who knows something about them).

Marui pistols tend to be safe bets, though they can be a little boring (generally ABS slide/grip). Avoid WE/Socom Gear M1911s, as they're not the best. KJ Works are generally good value and well built (generally clones of the Marui design), if not the finest pieces of craftmanship.

It depends upon what you'll be using it for. If it's a show gun/bit of back garden plinking, the KJW would be a good bet. If you'll be playing games with it - go for the Marui.

Yes, the sale of RIFs to non-UKARA/film/theatre is illegal, but it makes little difference for the potential purchaser - they won't be getting an RIF without one of those defences. Having said that, multiple retailers state they will report you to the police if you are trying to purchase airsoft guns without appropriate defences (though that's probably a deterrent against time wasters).

Not my area of expertise (if there are any...) I'm afraid...

Volund likes this.
  11. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I agree it makes little difference to the potential purchaser but the distinction between who's committing the illegal act is still there. I would take point with the claim that sales to 'non-UKARA' are illegal, as long as the retailer is satisfied they're selling the RIF for airsoft purposes they have a defence even if the purchaser doesn't have a UKARA number. And i'd be interested to know on what possible grounds a retailer would attempt to report you to the police for trying to purchase a RIF if you show them you were a skirmisher.

12. Marvin-HHGTTG

Well, it was Airsoft World so... :D

But yes - admittedly I had forgotten that UKARA registration is not required, just it's much easier to purchase RIFs if you have it, rather than having the retailer phone various sites to confirm you are a skirmisher, or if you know the retailer personally.

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

That's a bit of a trek for me... If I have to go to London sites, any downright abysmal ones I should DEFINITELY avoid?

14. Canon

Canon Reformed

When I renew my UKARA I'm putting some money and effort into building one of these!

15. Marvin-HHGTTG

Erm, how much do you want to sink into one pistol? Those type pistol projects generally run into 4 figures...

16. Christof_II

Christof_II SNAAAAAAAKE!!!

that strikes me as slightly redundant, isn't half the point of a race gun to have good single shot accuracy? i know speed is important too.

Either way it looks like fun, if not expensive...

---EDIT---

somehow i failed to notice its complete lack of sights first time round...

Last edited: 9 Dec 2011
  17. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Well, its just general West Midlands I'm from ^.^

Also another question....How much does it cost estimately to get into Airsofting?

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It pains me to do it, but I'm looking at selling my M82 :(

I didn't use it once in the last year, and I just can't justify keeping it any longer.

Jake: It's relatively inexpensive, but it really depends on where you go. My local site (Grange Farm Airsoft) is £25 green fees and £20 for a gun rental, so really you're looking at around £50 for the day without your own gun.

19. Marvin-HHGTTG

Rental fees generally sit in the £40-50 per day range (and you'll need to attend three), and decent rifles start at ~£200. Add to this some cheap combats, decent footwear, and the all-important safety goggles, plus spare mags, ammunition and a battery (plus charger), and you're looking at between £300-400 (not including attendance fees, so you can add £150 onto that, plus ~£20 per meeting afterwards) depending on things like magazines (there are some cheap M4 mags that work well, whereas rarer guns can only use more expensive magazines (e.g: G&G M14 - >£20 per magazine, whereas decent enough plastic magazines for an M4 are about £5 each).

20. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Haven't watched the video but I have to admit full-auto is counter-intuitive.

Also it does have sights, the Tiki slide has a groove along it's length for sighting; however his charge handle is blocking the view along it... Gun is for bragging rights really, impractical.