1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Organic II - home linux server

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by awadon, 13 Jun 2011.

?

Witch shape do you prefere:

Poll closed 23 Sep 2011.
  1. With the arm and "bud"

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. without it

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  1. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Wow that looks awesome and it's a pretty ingenious idea. Keep up the good work. One question why do you need 4 lan ports if your only using a old laptop for the server? Please forgive me if I missed I have been following it from the beginning and may have over looked it or I may be having a memory failure.

2. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

Thanks :) And answering your question. Meanwhile I've had an idea to integrate it with WI-FI access point. That's why I have 4 ports.

3. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

Small session with an already made elements :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've changed the method of making the mold. So far I've been using foam and putty and then sanding it.

[​IMG]

And now I've tested method of making the mold from modeling clay.

[​IMG]

As you can see by the mold, this method also works.

[​IMG]

It gives huge advantage in time. Instead of hours or days, the execution takes tens of minutes. Next week, all the elements made of the resin should be ready.

Waynio likes this.
  4. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

That back of this set-up still scares me but it does looks great. Nice work on the new modeling method, sometimes the simplest are the best ;)

5. Atasimey

Atasimey What's a Dremel?

This has to be one of the most warped and purely unusual case creations so far. It's just grand in that bizarre fashion. Will certainly see this project through.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Oh wow :jawdrop: love the look of this, mod on mate :rock::jawdrop::dremel::thumb: +rep subbed stars :D.

7. Jampotp

Jampotp What's a Dremel?

I love the gnarled look of the case :clap:

Someone mentioned using a flame to darken the wood around the mouldings... seems like a great idea to me. :dremel:

Maybe I missed a post, but have you decided whether to include the arm?

Great modelling on the arm, and an interesting idea, but I think it might detract from the natural simplicity of the main body. :confused:

Sub'd :D

8. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

Thank you guys for yours kind words :)

Finally I've finished casting resin. Today a small gallery of the work progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today I've started preparing keyboard. I want to remove all characters. If the effect won't appropriate, I will try to paint it. At the moment I have no other ideas.

[​IMG]

Once I wrote that I want to make some patterns on the surface. Something like "tribal". This will hide most of the wood connections.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see now the two surfaces merge better.
    For now, this is still a marker sketch. Ultimately, I'm going to mill and fill it with putty or resin. After sanding I should get a smooth surface.

I'll make a few attempts, but I will gladly hear your advices how to do this quickly and with best result.

9. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

This is an awesome build so far! I just love wood, everything should be made from wood :)

10. JPicasso

JPicasso What's a Dremel?

This is awesome work man. Unique and beautiful.

My opinion, there is nothing about the connections that need hiding. I think they'd look fine just as they were. The only noticeable area is where the arm is a different color that might need some transition help.

But I"m just one guy who has not created an over the top carved computer housing, so take it for that. Nice work.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I agree with this it looked fine with no need to cover the barely visible seams with it being such smooth work :thumb:.

Seeing someone say it looked kinda scary I automatically thought of evil dead movie :lol: the book of the dead :D it's got a faint likeness of it but the shots in the sun of this look gorgeous & highly organic, great stuff :thumb:.

12. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

JPicasso and Waynio. Probably I just did not make myself clearly. I do not care for masking every connection. In any case, not all. But there are places where the finish definitely does not suit me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here, pay special attention to the selected area. (Not painted jet).

[​IMG]

Such an elements are unacceptable. Just as visible problems all over the arm.

It will be important also to compose LCD and keypad. There are two major elements. They will dominate over the case. So I try to add some black elements in other places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

Some of you ask if I've quit my project. No! I just have a lot of work. So today a little offtopic. Before I return to Organica I've to finish another project. Case for my audio amplifier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waynio likes this.
  14. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

wow thats lovely!
    what wood is that?
    and loving the husky too!

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice stand :).

16. Mataten

Mataten What's a Dremel?

I love this artistic work you have done with these wood pieces. Fantastic awsome! :clap:
    I know people who make money out of things like this. But you are more talented than they,so I hope you think about it.

17. digitalerr0r

digitalerr0r What's a Dremel?

awesome work mate (=!

18. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

Last few months wasn't easy. I had a lot of work, that did not allow me to return to the project. I hope that this will change now. This week I made some inlay on the hdd arm. Grinding itself is not complicated. The problem was to find right putty in a black colour. In the end I got the best results using epoxy putty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KidMod-Southpaw likes this.
  19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

How did I not come back to this!?
    Amazing, in all areas! Have some rep.

20. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

THX :)

Some progress. One side of the case is almost finished. Unfortunately, routing channels and filling it with putty is quite slow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Atasimey likes this.