1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Computer has randomly started cutting out

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by almightyhaggis2002, 14 Nov 2011.

1. almightyhaggis2002

almightyhaggis2002 What's a Dremel?

Ok so i was playing the witcher a couple of days again and bam computer cuts out. Start it back up started browsing the internet then bosh again it cut out.

Turned it on the next day it cut out at the windows load screen. Turned it on again later played the whitcher for over an hour then it randomly cut out again.

I have a amd 6000+ 3ghz processor and a gtx 280 gpu with an asus crosshair 1 motherboard.

I cant seem to find any sort of pattern to the computer cutting out so im at a bit of a loss as to what the problem is.

I have monitored the temperatures of my gpu and cpu and on idle the gpu stays at a steady 45C and the cpu stays between 35 and 40C. It has cut out under these temperatures.

So im not sure if somthing is over heating or what.

To rule out driver problems i have reinstalled windows and i have the same problems.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly received regards barney.

2. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I had a similar issue with my new rig, I was running a beta mobo bios at the time and since going back to a regular mobo bios I haven't experienced the same problem.

edit: I since suspect that my new PSU was the culprit.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2011
  3. almightyhaggis2002

almightyhaggis2002 What's a Dremel?

I dont think its anything to do with the bios ive had the mother board for around 4 years and i have never changed the bios.

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Start with the simple things like trying a different PSU cable to the mains socket, then try a different mains socket entirely. If you still get the same issues it could be various problems including the CPU reported as overheating with a faulty temperature sensor or maybe a faulty PSU.

5. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Agreed with this. I had one the died when it wanted to and turned out to be a dodgy kettle lead.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

What is the PSU?

7. Diellur

Diellur What's a Dremel?

+1

I'm guessing that the game demands are maxing out your GPU and drawing power close to or in excess of the PSU's ability to supply it. Bearing in mind that PSUs deteriorate over time, a new PSU might solve your problem.

8. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

If you follow this path we might be be able to find the reason for the cut outs.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Event Viewer

Basically in here it logs pretty much everything your computer does. So when it crashes reboot look in here and it will most likely (will) have a critical symbol next to the issue(s) I hope this helps. You can always report the fault here and I am sure one of us will get back to you if you can't solve it with the information given from the event viewer

9. Ste#.

Ste#. What's a Dremel?

have you also tried cleaning your case and especially the PSU ?
    also we would need to know the PSU make and model. if i remember correctly the gtx 280 is a power hungry hippo.

10. Kaze3

Kaze3 What's a Dremel?

I think Diellur is probably correct.

I had the same problem with my computer a while back and it turned out that the PSU was overheating. You can tell if it's an overheating problem because you'll find that if you play again straight after it's cut out, it'll go again quite quickly, whereas if you leave it for a while (to cool down), when you play again it'll last much longer before it goes.

11. DevilsShooter

DevilsShooter What's a Dremel?

yea defo sounds like PSU overheating, is there any audible popping or squeaking when the pc cuts out? usually you can hear the capacitors starting to pop if overheating is an issue, also is you PSU placed at the top or bottom of your case? if its top then any heat that hasnt been sucked out via the exhaust will go in through the PSU and cause higher temps.