1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Worlds Most Advanced Gaming Machine? Lol wut?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Throbbi, 13 Dec 2011.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

So this just popped up on my feeds...

Alienware launches worlds most advanced gaming PC

I had to laugh but more seriously is it right that they can get away with labelling a product as this when it's quite clearly not what they describe?

Not counting home built systems which can't really be compared but things like the Scan Jellyfish would utterly destroy this. Now obviously price is a major sticking point (Jellyfish starts at upwards of £9k) but they're still of the same item surely? A pre-built, customisable during order gaming PC.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I think Alienware (or Dell if truth be told) have lost the top spot some time ago and now only generate brand name interest. There's far better out there to be had for the same or less money.

I had a friend who won one of the early generation Alienware Aurora pcs, and when we opened it up, it was messy, had bad air flow and was cheaper, over clocked components used to achieve the power of top end stuff - although they never did. The price premium comes from the name, the once exclusive case design and the fact that it's overclocked.

I wouldn't spend a penny on one. The laptops aren't quite as bad; however, watch this space...

Just my 2 penneths!

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

'with the ability to run any PC game on maximum settings'

Id like to see that 6870 do that.

No dual 580's or 590's :confused:

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Wow, dual 6950 2GB, that's some hardcore **** right there...

The most advanced - in what way, pray tell?

5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Why build a gaming machine based on LGA2011? Makes no sense.

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

At getting lots of money for ok performance i guess...

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Weak. As far as I can tell Alienware's only good product these last few years is the M11x.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know. You can get better specs for the same price with Origin PC's (The original Alienware owner, who left when Dell purchased them, and build their new company).
    http://www.originpc.com/

And you can have your computer sent in a CRATE!. Oh and they use high quality components, and they tell you the brands, and not Dell own thing. For example: You can select a Corsair AX series as PSU, and so on and so forth. Also, based on what it says on the customization page, you can even call and request something that isn't in the list. Now I don't know how much it would cost to do this, but still pretty cool.

9. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Yea, thats what a super high end gaming rig needs. A 6 core SB CPU, coupled with a 6870 GPU...

Seriously Alienware, why you act so stupid?

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well at least they didn't put a Geforce 210. :p

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

But will it run Crysis?

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

There seems to be absolutely no logic in this. What really confuses me is the complete absence of the 6970 and GTX570. They offer the 560 and 580, why no 570? And for AMD they offer 6950 both single and dual, but no 6970 in the middle. And why no 560 SLI?

13. Tongue-of-Fire

Tongue-of-Fire What's a Dremel?

Seems like they're just trying to get by on the funky looking case designs now. I can't say they're doing too badly in that regard - my very computer literate friend (studying Computer Science at uni) said to me the other week that he thought they were the best out there when I was taking the mick out of them. He does have a mac though... :p

14. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Still prefer the Raven RV02 over the Alienware design if you're going for a non boxy PC.

15. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Ouch, there goes his credibility then! :hehe:

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I've quickly learned that being "computer literate" doesn't always mean educated on building a current day gaming rig. Knowing the fastest, most cost effective, highest quality gear out there for any specific purpose requires knowledge and research of the market which you simply can't get in school. There's nothing that can't be explained in practical terms by a good review and some benchmarks. :thumb:

17. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

There's a large difference between knowing computer software (computer literacy), and knowing computer hardware. Most of the people on my CS course know sweet-FA about the latter (and I'm not just talking about the latest GPU or whatever, but just the way in which hardware works, what makes a decent PC, or anything technical (TDPs, speeds and so on), but some are ace programmers. There are many Macbooks... I tend to think I'm much the opposite, get on well with hardware understanding, less good at programming...

18. Tongue-of-Fire

Tongue-of-Fire What's a Dremel?

I'm a fan of the fridge look personally.

My point precisely. Alienware now gets by targeting people who are good with one aspect of computers (i.e. Coding) but not in another (i.e. what makes a good PC). The sort of people who use computers a lot and want to spend a good deal of money on one but are apparently unaware of what makes a great PC (and in turn unaware of the fact they're unaware). People who judge a PC by its case, as it were, and think that this is okay because they're good at computers. Hopefully I've explained myself a bit better here and clarified that I don't believe that an understanding of one aspect of computers implies understanding of all aspects.:)