1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Virgin "20Mb" Broadband...

Discussion in 'General' started by LennyRhys, 16 Dec 2011.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I was downloading some large files today and I noticed that the DL speed went from 2.3MB/sec to precisely 580kB/sec after about 30mins and remained there for hours... funny that, I thought to myself - that looks like it's been capped. So I google it and find that Virgin throttles download speeds to 580kB/sec when a customer "overuses" their network and purportedly "slows it down" for everybody else:

LOLWUT... so if I use the bandwidth I paid for, I slow it down for everybody else? Dang, I thought I lived in a city where we have fast cable broadband... :wallbash:

And does this "fair use" policy apply to everybody? Of course it doesn't: the deep-pocketed XXL tier customers aren't penalised at all for "overuse" of the service - they can use all their bandwidth all day if they want.

Anybody else have this problem?

2. Zeameth

Zeameth What's a Dremel?

im on 10 mb, i get about 3.5gb of dl at max then it drops to around 350kb/s during peak times. will max again doing the wee hours though

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

its been like this the past 4 years and you're only complaining about it now?

given their peak time is something like a 5 hour window its hardly an issue when I can hammer the **** out of usenet at 3.6MB/s.

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I've only had 20Mb for a couple of months and today was the first time I attempted to download a 10GB file - at midday, no less - so if my DL is still capped at 580kB/s more than twelve hours later at 1am, don't I have a right to complain? LOL

At the end of the day my complaint is really about Virgin's BS policy that is just an affront to the sub-XXL-Tier paying customers, pretending to be fair but in reality being "pay more, get more" - they obviously have surplus bandwidth and simply refuse to let paying customers use it. End of.

5. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

This my friend is how the planet works.

LennyRhys likes this.
  6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Virgin was 7-7 = capping After 7/overnight was uncapped.

7. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I'm on 50Mb which is supposed to be uncapped, but they still throttle Steam downloads quite often. :grr:

8. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

You're effectively paying for a shared line what with the contention ratio and that, not a dedicated line, so it would be unreasonable to expect the same service of a dedicated line dude.

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

[​IMG]

Virgin are a total joke with their capping.

On a 10mb line myself as I am very rarely at home, however when I am at home I would like to use it as I wish. I pay for the speed not the usage.

Of an evening if I download 750mb of data I get capped. Thats a grand total of 12 minutes of my connection at its rated 10mb speed. 12 ****ing minutes of any given evening.

I imagine I download about 20-30 gigs of stuff a month if that.

I hate them and wouldn't use them again (what I said last time I left them 5 years ago).

10. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

The deep-pocketed XXL customers still suffer the same download caps and restrictions as you shallow-pocketed ones.

My net gets regularly capped when using steam to download stuff in the middle of the day, down to around 600k
    Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

11. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

It's not so much the capping that bothers me, I understand why they do it, but more the unrealistic amount that they allow you before they throttle back, if they just doubled the current limits then it would be more livable.

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

And it's this which means that no matter how many pretty leaflets Virgin stick through my door i'm never going to be swapping my internet to them. I'm quite happy with my completely unlimited and uncapped 20mbit ADSL where I can download what I want, when I want without worrying about it slowing down.

13. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

I think you'll find that's steams UK servers unable to cope. Try Poland or German steam servers they tend to fill my 50 meg pipe.

My 50meg has never ever been throttled. I've got the servers to check and quite regularly down a TB of an evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Unrealistic for you but for the other 99% of their customers it'll be fine.

Most people on this forum will be in the top 1% - Virgin are a business so are not going to cater for the top 1% to have an unlimited connection but will look at the interests of all their customers.

If you don't like their limits, leave them. There are plenty of other providers with no limits... Like Sky's Unlimited Broadband for instance.

15. Crackdown_uk

Crackdown_uk What's a Dremel?

Don't Sky also employ capping and traffic shaping?

Last edited: 16 Dec 2011
  16. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Not on LLU services, on the others, yes, but that's because the connections are actually leased from BT to sky and the money BT make Sky and all other ISPs pay makes unlimited broadband a no go.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

even throttled it's quicker than i was getting on ADSL

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So it's even worse for you guys :eeek: you pay a lot more but still get screwed!

Everything is shared - I don't see our electrical and gas companies throttling their services when we use more than other people, LOL.

Virgin's idea of fairness as "everybody gets the same amount" is archaic and absurd... everybody uses a particular service for a different need and in a different way, and Virgin could easily accomodate that if they chose to.

In the meantime I'll try doing bigger downloads overnight and see if I can live with that. :thumb:

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Nope you pay for what you use so people don't leave their lights and heating on 24/7.

Mobile 'Broadband' uses this model and you certainly don't see people downloading huge files for the reason that they pay per MB.

20. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

had issues with Virgin and the same problem, rather pay less get less but get what I pay for with O2 on ADSL now