1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Official Star Trek Case Mod: "TRICORDER CHIC" Listed on Ebay by Winner for $8,000...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mnpctech, 2 Jun 2011.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Oh sh*t , I just hit the buy it now button.

2. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

Can't put a price on custom work especially when its this beautiful .. but the $300 shippping pushed me over the edge

;)

Case looks great bill another great job!

mnpctech likes this.
  3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

$8000 Holy moly :eeek: it's a beautiful extreme case mod & the price seems extreme to me but that's because I'm not loaded & even a £500 case is spit your drink out from shock material :hehe::D, in fact this is why I make my own because I could use fancy materials & still cost less than a premium case if I DIY it :D, way too much for me :lol: & wonder if it will manage to go for the $8000.

But really I think in comparison to a lot of art by famous names that's actually very cheap for something which looks awesome & actually has a highly usable purpose so maybe $8000 is drastically underselling, takes a lot of high quality thought just to come up with a good design & then a lot of time & money & effort to realise it as a real usable object, I have no idea how to put a value on a project but in comparison to most art $8000 is cheap for the amount of thought & work gone into it, not cheap to me but certainly is to someone who would be eager to pay way more for a simple painting which could be made in a day.

4. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

^ You'd make a great politician make a case then completely u-turn and argue against yourself lol.

Can see where the price is coming from tis a fine piece of art sure a hardcore fan would drool over this for years.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: I do that a lot until things make sense & often find an answer but sometimes don't :D:duh:.

6. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Thank you! for the always kind words and support guys :clap:

@Waynio, if you're ever asked to do commissioned piece, (would be surprised if nobody ever does) don't forget to charge for your time and labor :thumb: ...We logged 72 hours for the case part drawings alone @ $40 per hour, which is bargain, compared to commercial shops at minimal $60 - $80 per hour.

I've spoken to the Seller. He loves the PC, but can't afford to pay the $2000 Luxury Tax.
    I sent him a note today, about the $300 Flat Fee shipping. He needs to revise it, so it's calculated upon the carton dimensions and Location.

[​IMG]

I would like to see the PC find a good home. It was a very memorable project for me. It comes up in conversations a lot by fans of my work. I wouldn't trade experience of working with Mike Okuda for anything. Getting to know David Gerrold was also priceless. I'll have stories about the whole experience to share with my Grand children.

I know a lot of you are outside of US, but if anyone stateside plans to attend 2012 CES, in Las Vegas, January 10th - 14th... I'll be there, So please drop by and Introduce yourself from bit-tech! I'll be sharing a booth with Fractal-Design, Located on Main Floor, South 2 - 25508. I'd be happy to share some "behind the scenes" stories of the Star Trek Projects.. Cheaps got an ear full already :D

the skid of billet, cheaps mentioned..
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Dec 2011
  7. OmightyOne

OmightyOne Minimodder

haha love the tribbles!

8. mnpctech

haha, I wonder if the Tribbles are still in?! :D

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks for the tip Bill :) & the more I do the easier or quicker it gets so shouldn't need the same length of work going into future projects as when I was learning basics unless I keep challenging myself for new techniques :) bet you have very rare muckups with all the experience you have built up :).

$2000 tax, is that just for owning it even though it was a prize? if so ouch :(.

I expect the tribbles will be in there still :hehe::thumb:.

10. Warsmith

Warsmith Enginseer

Ouch, poor soul got Oprah'ed...

11. mnpctech

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Yeah :D that's what I meant but keeping it clean :lol: like I sometimes say sheet etc :D when I was a kid tv stations used to dub different none fitting words to replace swearing in movies & found it extremely funny, kinda wish they still did it, turned serious films into all out unintentional comedies lol :D.

That's a bargain I think, not that I could afford it though :D after what I've seen some shops sell really basic case mods for but with components for much more than that :eeek: but this aint no basic case mod, flipping awesome case mod :rock:.

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I think the 0 seller rating might be hurting him some too.

14. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

If you pay 8000 for that load of crap may all your pubic hairs turn suddenly white, develop athlete's foot, your voice returns squeaky as in your thirteens and your'm mum increase the rent for his basement to 800$ a week. If you pay 300 for the shipping you deserve a pylonidal cist too...

15. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

amagriva: Excuse me?

mnpctech likes this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Don't feed the troll

17. Seasalt

Seasalt What's a Dremel?

18. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

One thing can be said for sure him selling it is great advertising, everyone seems to be talking about it lol.

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Exactly what I thought, "load of crap" yeah ok :lol::duh: but trolling is obvious trolling & with it being so obvious should be easy enough to ignore :hehe: or simply someone who can't afford such a luxury rig & can't grasp the idea some easily can, I'm not one of those though :waah::hehe::D.

So true :thumb: but can understand someone taking a bite of the troll cake on a string & then old troll face doing his troll face because it bugged someone :D.

:clap::D

20. mnpctech

It's like anything else custom, it's subjective to personal tastes. Just read the comments in the MOTY thread. My customers were pleased with the results and thats all that matters to me :cooldude: