1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling What Size Hose Clamps for 1/2"ID 3/4"OD Tube

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cillerbee, 19 Dec 2011.

1. cillerbee

cillerbee What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone I'm just about ready to do water cooling and was wondering what size hose clamps I should get for my tube size?

I already have some spring clamps but I'm hearing that those aren't great for thick walled tubes like the one I have. (PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 1/2"ID 3/4"OD with 1/8" Wall - UV Red)

Barbs:1/2"
    Tube ID: 1/2"
    Tube OD: 3/4"
    Tube Wall: 1/8"

Thank you =)

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Last edited: 19 Dec 2011
  3. cillerbee

Thanks feathers, So if I use the 7/8" how far should I tighten? And would you say by hand or drill? Don't want to cut through the tube but also don't want it lose enough to leak.

You also mentioned plumbers tape. If you don't mind got two more questions regarding it. Why do you suggest it (so as not to cut the tube or for a better seal)? and is one revolution around the barb enough or do I need more?

Thanks, =)

4. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

you wont cut tube very easy but I would strongly recommend not using Jubilee clips they look like crap and one wrong slip with screw driver and your be cursing for a month.

you can use zip ties on the barbs making sure it fits over a barb ridge when you tighten but best is pvc hose clips or use compression fittings over barbs

5. cillerbee

Thanks Big_malc, I don't like the look of the hose clamps either but its just a temporary solution until I get compression.

I do have the Koolance spring clamps but I don't know if they can apply enough pressure with a thick walled tube. (1/8")

http://dazmode.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_196&products_id=545 << these are the spring clamps so you get an idea

I did think about zip ties but they are pain to remove once you put them on tightly in case I need to change something.

6. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

normally the top barb is alot more pro dominant as long as the clip fits snug over pipe all should be fine m8 if you got any concerns and can wait a bit Bloody_Pete or some of the other water coolers will settle any worry's you have.

Pete's Watercooling log/how-to. worth a read if you not all ready

7. cillerbee

Yea I can afford to wait, best to double check and get it right the first time. I did read the log but it looks like Pete isn't a fan of barbs =O and my other issue with the Koolance spring clamps is how hard they are to get on.

Thanks for the tips for far though.

8. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

bull nose pliers and care :thumb: