1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Not sure if I'm right in this forum, but need basic electronic help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bguilleminot, 8 Dec 2011.

1. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Sorry, I didn't understand that. Do that.

2. bguilleminot

bguilleminot What's a Dremel?

Sorry sometimes I don't know how to explain things in english :rolleyes: I will tell you the better I can: In the build I'm doing, I will need to install the psu in a place where the out for the power cable it's not in a place where you can plug the cable from the outside, so I must do an additional power output for the power supply to connect the power cable easily from outside the case, something like Silverstone did with the Raven 3 case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irg257LUn9k&list=FLeOL98KXQbDBmeo8zRJJO6A&index=103&feature=plcp that's the idea :D

3. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I'm more embarrassed then you are about the confusion. Don't worry about being perfect with the English, it's impossible ;). My logic/compartmentalising of topics would have put it in the case mods section though.

Sounds good, and soldering will be fine. The only other thing is heat shrink, but insulating tape will be fine. Heat shrink would give slightly better aesthetics, if you are that bothered about that stuff like some people.

Is the project the one from the pictures I found on your profile? That looks nifty, and brings me onto another thought. A regular PSU/chassis will ground the case, and whatever is attached to it, through the earth in the power cable. Have you taken this into consideration?

4. bguilleminot

Oh no this is for another project, not for the ones I've uploaded. In any case, this new project is in a wooden case, so like you said I will need something of metal to make ground isn't it? Sincerely I didn't thought about this and as I don't know almost anything I was not considering any things of this nature

5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

It's not that much of an issue. Like if you had a piece of conductive chassis isolated from the PSU, and for some reason (eg a component shorts on it) it becomes live and you could get shocked (if you touch it).

Something can become live without making a circuit, earthing is a safe constant circuit that will discharge the energy and blow a fuse or trip an RCD. This is instead of allowing a hazardous condition to exist. If you can take a look at a car you should notice some earths on it somewhere (that is wires from parts to the chassis, then from the chassis to the battery) (it's easier the older it is).

I'm not sure on this part, but I don't think the components themselves need earthing because of the way the PSU supplies power. Just any conductive part that could become electrified. I found this thread which should help with this matter.

Resolved by connecting a wire from the conductive part to the earth pin on the socket (so it would have two wires soldered to it).

bguilleminot likes this.
  6. bguilleminot

Thanks a LOT for sharing this post with me, it's of high value because one of my projects has the MOBO tray of acrylic. I will be reading it as fast as I can, give you rep for all your help :)

7. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Your welcome.