1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Thermaltake Frio Advanced Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 19 Dec 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Ratchet219

Ratchet219 What's a Dremel?

Disappointment....

3. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

thermaltakey

4. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

Interesting results on the 2011 socket between the Thermal take and the H80 in comparison to the other sockets.

5. tseax

tseax < >

I'd consider a Noctua HSF instead, with their own (Focus Flow 120mm NF-F12 PWM) engineered quiet fans.

6. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

I've got the original Frio and haven't seen any reason as yet to upgrade it, its basically excellent.

7. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Wonder how those fans go on a water cooling rad? Being thicker and with flat walls around the fan you'd expect the static pressure to be better.
    Interesting to see If these fans make it to individual sale

8. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

I've got an original Frio, running my i5-2500k at 4.3ghz, with *1* fan at 70% speed. Considering I could easily hit 5ghz (but probably sounding like a jumbo jet on take off!) I see little point in 'upgrading'.

9. Janek566

Janek566 What's a Dremel?

I ordered it 2 days before this review on bit-tech xD I bought it since it apparently has and edge in terms of 2-3 degress C (compared to frio). I do not care about the noise and I have a strange feeling that the noise it produces is exaggerated by websites like this. Still, after I'm done building my system I will pop back and comment on how the cooler is doing. I seriously think it won't be that bad.

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

lol why is there no temp comparison to the original frio so we can see what the difference is or if its worthwild to get over the original?

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

That's what I'd like to know. I'm starting to question this site's reviews because they are starting to miss important factors like comparisons to older versions of a product.

12. zyklon

zyklon What's a Dremel?

The "pull" exhuast fan is the noise maker because of the profile of the fan blade. If both the push and pull fans are set as CPU fan, then they will spin at the full 1900++ rpm under load, which will make a really loud whining noise.

If the pull fan is set as a system fan and controlled to around 1000rpm, while the front "push" fan is connected as cpu fan and controlled by the mb, then it will be much much quieter. Reducing the speed of the "pull" fan doesn't seem to affect the temperature significantly, at least not on mine.

Also, in one of the photos in the first page of the review, you seem to have got the front and rear fan swapped.

Tags: Add Tags