1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Why are there no Christmas Games?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 20 Dec 2011.

1. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

Ta very much

2. Dannythemusicman

Dannythemusicman What's a Dremel?

I always enjoyed Christmas related easter eggs, I remember playing A-Train and if you play it at a certain speed during December 25th, Santa would fly over the map... or something like that anyways..!

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I remember there being an Xmas game on the spectrum, you had to land on the roof, make it down the chimney [dodging falling snow and rising flames] then make it from the chimney to the tree without being spotted.

Can't remember the name though

4. Bloodburgers

Bloodburgers Minimodder

Of course there was also ZOOL on the amiga. Man i loved that game.

5. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

6. TrickOn

TrickOn What's a Dremel?

The original Planetisde was awesome at christmas, fighting through the snowy continents wearing your
    santa hats, and then stumbling across a christmas tree draped in lights and surrounded with piles of presents (each pile being the backpack of someone who had been killed under said tree).

It made the game feel a bit special. :)

7. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

Been playing both killing floor, sanctum and l4d2 since they all have festive stuff added in for the holidays. Killing floor takes the cake though, they need to have more seasonal mods like the x-mass one.

8. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Yep, it was Crash. Remember it well. It was changed to be set at night, it was snowing and the crashed chopper had fairy lights all over it.
    Plus when ever there was an airstrike there was the sound of jinglebells like santa's sleigh was flying overhead, followed by the obligatory death and rage-quit. :D

God bless, that was when Infinity Ward respected and loved the PC crowd :)

9. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Guild Wars has had its own festive events under the guise of Wintersday every year, as well as halloween and other popular past times.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

It's an odd moment when you realize your cherished Christmas memories are from video games. :D

11. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Who knows? Maybe the game publishers actually have a teensy, tiny bit of respect left for humanity to not drive another stake into the heart of Christmas and thus have foregone trying to push any Christmas themed game.
    Actually, since Christmas is but once a year, such games would be real dogs to try and sell and game publishers really are the dregs of society with their rampant paranoia, Draconian DRM policies and overbearing greed. I imagine Judas would be a game publisher if alive today. Anything for a few pieces of silver.

12. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Even odder is it isn't Christmas themed it's set in May as a tax day party for some reason.

13. LedHed

LedHed What's a Dremel?

The thing about Christmas and games has nothing to do with the actual theme being in the game. It used to be all your PC games (and anything else that existed at the time of Tandys, back in the days when 7 year olds typed in DOS to play Dick Tracy) were sold in actual stores in actual boxes. Now we can't even get Best Buy to carry 20 PC Games in certain stores. Anyway, I remember at Christmas I would get all the games I've been waiting on and I remember my Dad saying "He'll be set for the next couple hours" after the game was up and running. He was right, I didn't leave the chair except to get ready to leave for my grandparents (I was probably 8 that year I got Dark Forces) Now the closest thing we have to "Christmas Gaming" is the sales that Steam does throughout the Holidays. The thing is, Steam will do a sale for any reason imaginable, but the Christmas/New Years version is normally one of the best.

If there are any games I remember that had a Holiday look to them, it has to be a lot of the Dark Forces series of shooters (and other Lucas Arts games). Especially stuff like Rouge Squadron and other Star Wars games that use Hoth in detail. Actually a lot of Star Wars games are on ice type planets even. Metro 2033 has "snow", but that isn't the type of snow anyone wants to see.

14. Th3Maverick

Th3Maverick What's a Dremel?

15. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Never mind Christmas games, why has there been no news on bit-tech since 8 December?!

16. cebla

cebla What's a Dremel?

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Dunno, perhaps they've spent too much time building PCs for BBC 5 Live (skip to 2:05:00)

18. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

I had that game on tape, purchased for 99p from the local shell garage you had to avoid the presents being dropped by bad angels I think it was called special delivery from memory

19. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

The serious Sam Christmas level with all of the Easter eggs was awesome :)

20. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Been wondering that myself. Seems very odd.

Tags: Add Tags