1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Please help with my speaker design

Discussion in 'General' started by Boscoe, 21 Dec 2011.

1. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

So if you could just take a second or so to submit to my poll? (if a mod could a one with two options 'Yes, I want a remote' and 'No, I wouldn't use it and it would get lost somewhere.')

So here's the situation. You have just bought your new £2500 floorstander speakers and they have all their amps built in so nothing else is needed except to hook them up to your source whether it would be a TV, computer or whatever.

The question is would you want a remote to turn it on and change the volume? You have no volume knob just the control from your TV or whatever.

Thanks this will help me out a lot.

2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Assuming these are for home use, yes, always.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

i hate having loads of remotes, so assuming you mean the volume can be adjusted by an existing remote then no i personally wouldnt want one, ive got a drawer full of remotes that never get used.

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I hate remotes i thinking something more physical ontop of the speaker would be much better like a knob im usually close enough in terms of pc use

Tv however a remote might be a good idea

5. Boscoe

Yes that's what I'm thinking. the problem is I'm working on a speaker that I hope to sell and the remote is quite a headache, both receiver and transmitter.

6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

What about some form of external knob? like on the pc based speakers just make it sleek and fancy that would sit on a tv stand

That might work, closer than going to the speakers but without the complexity of making a remote you have to consider how much use it would really get in comparison to how much its going to cost you to make it

On my home theater i just control the volume from the front when im happy with it i sit down and watch

[​IMG]

Like those sorta things i mean :D but obviously not USB

7. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

Double volume control is a PITA. Sometimes I turn my speakers on while a game or track is playing after listening on headphones (that have no volume control) and am reminded the volume control on them was last set when the windows volume was MUCH lower by my face being blown off...

8. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Double volume control is usually only an issue when using a pc of some sort, and not using your sound system properly :lol:

It would be worthwhile to install a remote volume control, otherwise the gain has to be cranked up all the time, so it's much, much easier to hear noise/hiss when the input volume is low. I've seen universal remote control kits around, which didn't cost much IIRC.

It would be much more modern to create/find a receiver, pair it with one of the many cheap learning remote controls available, and add a variety of other functions to your speakers, such as input selection, bass boost, mute, and power control.

I doubt anyone is going to spend near £2500 on speakers unless they are a fancy name brand however. Even if we're talking about a complete high power surround sound system, with very high quality sound, and a written warranty, there'd still have to at least be a volume control imo.

9. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

No need for a remote, all my volume control is coming from well upstream of the speakers. (And my subwoofer.)

That said, a small onboard volume knob (on the back, even) would be really handy for getting the system dialled in.

10. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Amps are built in so only an audio signal will be sent to the speakers. If sent over HDMI you could include the CEC standard into the design. That way the remote for any other CEC compliant device (becoming more prevalent) can control the volume for you.

11. Boscoe

You'd be surprised what people pay for in the Hi-Fi world!

Thanks for the replies this has helped. I think I will include a remote as said you wouldn't want to spend a lot of money to not get a remote.

12. mvagusta

Oh yeah, some people will even spend 5 figures on fancy name brands, but I doubt you'd get customers paying over even £2000 for a pair of home built amplified speakers.
    Which is why I suggest that you might get customers to pay £2500 for home made speakers, if it was a very high quality surround sound setup.

13. Boscoe

They will be pro this is a business venture.

14. mvagusta

If you want to compete with all the other fancy names out there, then that means an expensive marketing campaign.
    If your business name isn't being mentioned in the industry, be it magazines, cinema, theater, etc, well then they are speakers with an unknown brand name, which is basically the same thing as home made speakers.

Or have you got some significant contacts that can seriously promote your products for little or maybe even no cost?

15. Boscoe

Don't worry I know some people who can help and i intend to get them reviewed.