1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's the most personal thing you've ever given someone?

Discussion in 'General' started by jsheff, 22 Dec 2011.

1. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

So recently, I decided to take a trip to the Gambia to visit some schools and see what life is like over there. I took along my ukulele for the ride, as it's always been a source of happiness for me when I've needed picking up, kinda turned me around from a bad place a few years ago, and I really enjoy playing to the kids. To cut a long story short, I was so touched by the attitude of the teachers at a school for street orphans that I left my ukulele with them.

That thing meant the world to me, but the guy in charge of the school knew how to play it way better than I, and seeing how much the kids loved it just made me realise that it was time to let it go. Was really difficult, but I know it'll make more people happy than I could manage with it's new owner.

So, seeing as though it's the season of giving, what's the most personal gift you've ever given or parted ways with?

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Herpes.

Bogomip likes this.
  3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

What do you mean by the attitude of the teachers exactly? I mean, going to school here and now makes your realise that most of the teachers don't want to be there.
    Anyway, that was a great thing to do :thumb:

4. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

The first reply was bound to be something relating to sex :p.

OT: That was really nice of you to do that, much respect man.

5. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

They genuinely cared about the kids, and they wanted to be there to teach them, not because it was just a job. Stark contrast to one of the other schools I went in - Teachers were unqualified and unmotivated, but the kids still loved being there.

It's like the opposite of the (primary) schools I've taught in here in the UK. Can't really speak for secondary, I'm not training for that. Those little buggers know how to talk back to you!

I meant gift that you gave away and didn't still keep in some way!

6. KidMod-Southpaw

Oh, oh no, that's not me at all good sir!
    On topic, yep, that's how teachers seem to be these days, and in most cases they claim to be way underpaid, FFS, they get a pretty hefty pension if they're there long enough.

7. Dwarfer

Dwarfer What's a Dremel?

And get alot more holidays than most!

What's the most personal thing you've ever given someone?

My P****

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Do you have more left you could do gift box's of it :worried:

Apophis54 likes this.
  9. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

That was really cool man a very small gesture to me or you that will mean alot to those kids and give them plenty of enjoyment im sure!

I've given away alot of old computer equipment before to friends and family nothing special

However a few years ago i wanted to get my girlfriend a special gift for christmas it happened to be snowing overnight before temperature dropped and the roads happen to be thick with solid slippery ice i have ordered something from a local jewellery shop (i say local but it was in the next town with better shops)

I walked 12 miles (24 miles there and back), nearly broke my ankle in heavy snow and suffered plenty of twists and pulls on leg muscles to get to the jewellery place i made the order, i nearly **** a brick when i thought it was closed luckily the owner was in the back with her feet up assuming nobody would be in that day.

it was'nt a big deal but the determination to get the gift she thought was pretty sweet i left 9am got back 4pm :D (broke up about 2 months after :D)

10. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

I gave my manly yoghurt to my wife, 9 months later my eldest was born, then a few months later i gave her another pot of my yoghurt my second son was born, then about a year later i gave her the latest pot of yoghurt and my daughter was born :D:D:D:D

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Anyone who thinks that teachers have an easy, well-paid job with good pension and long holidays should sign up now! Clearly it is the career opportunity of a lifetime. You'd be crazy to do anything else.

12. KidMod-Southpaw

Well said, but I still hate them, considering I have to put up with them :D
    And no, I won't be going to university.

13. Nexxo

Unless you need it to do a specific job, it's a waste of money.

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Got my fiance a christmas tree for her birthday (was Dec19). Ever since we bought our house at the beginning of November she had been saying she wants a tree for christmas and i kept telling her we cant afford it. I bought one like a month ago and kept it here at my parents. I didnt work on the 19th so i brought it to the house and set it all up. When she came home i got her to close her eyes and lead her to the living room for her to open them and see. She was so incredibly happy and excited. It was so awesome :D

15. jsheff

jsheff What's a Dremel?

Awesome dedication there! Doesn't matter that you broke up, you still get the brownie points!

Real trees are awesome - look forward to getting my first tree in a new home! Bet she'll have to get an extra present or two to put underneath it in return, no? ;-)

What do you think I'm in it for? Clearly it's not because I love the job!

I apologise on behalf of teachers everywhere if we've genuinely given you reason to hate us all, and I'm aware that some teacher's methods aren't to everyone's tastes, but please try not to generalise. How can you hate a teacher, for example, that plays TF2 & L4D a few times a week, travels to third world countries to donate things first hand and help set up fundraising events and also happens to trade lumps of coal to you via Steam? :p

16. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

As soon as I saw the title I KNEW this would be the second post :)

17. Tribble

Tribble Steals Avatars

I would call them ****ing hot, but what do i know :naughty: :thumb:

18. Nexxo

Doesn't matter that you broke up. You can now tell this story anywhere, anytime, for instant girl brownie points. :thumb:

19. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

"until death due us part." Giving that vow was pretty personal.

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I have no idea what might be the most personal thing I've ever given away. I give away so much stuff I can't begin to think about which one was the most personal. After all these years the stuff has all kind of blended together. I guess that counts for something.