1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PC Game of the Year: Forum Edition

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 21 Dec 2011.

?

Your Favourite PC game of the year

Poll closed 30 Dec 2011.
  1. Assassins Creed: Brotherhood

2.2%
  2. Anno 1440

2.2%
  3. Bastion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Batman: Arkham City

1.1%
  5. Battlefield 3

29.2%
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

2.2%
  7. Crysis 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Dead Island

1.1%
  9. Deus Ex Human Revolution

9.0%
  10. Dead Space 2

1.1%
  11. Frozen Synapse

1.1%
  12. Minecraft

3.4%
  13. Portal 2

13.5%
  14. Rage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Trine 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Saints Row: The Third

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Shogun 2: Total War

1.1%
  18. Skyrim

24.7%
  19. The Witcher 2

6.7%
  20. Warhammer Space Marine

1.1%
  1. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Gotta be BF3. Deus Ex:HR could well beat it once I get a bit further into the game. Only started it last week.

2. TrickOn

TrickOn What's a Dremel?

I think I'm settling on bf3, its given me an excuse to upgrade lol.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I haven't been paid in 18 months and don't claim social welfare. I can barely afford fuel for my car and saved every penny I could for Battlefield 3. :(

Perhaps for the best though, less time gaming, more time on PhD :D

4. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

I voted for Dead Space 2. Others might not think it's as good as the 1st one but it did have some genuine sh*t your pant moments in it!

5. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

That's just asking for a :duh:

6. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

No Terraria? I'd make that my GOTY

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'll have one of the Mods add any extra games people want on the list tomorrow!

8. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I went for the Witcher 2 in the end. I massively enjoyed Deus Ex HR for it's great SP and BF3 for it's amazing MP but TW2 just hit the bar for me a little more than all the other good games this year. Clearly all 3 of those I just listed are in my personal top 5 for the year though :)

I really want to add Shogun 2 to my top 5 but was hugely disappointed by its state and performance at release (bugs, lack of DX11 out of the box, broken multiplayer and lack of ability to do sieges with AI opponents until a patch fix, among its many other MP bugs) and although CA have patched it several times since then and given a decent selection of free maps, I feel they have shoved to much focus on DLC releases. Sadly Shogun 2 is no Rome, despite some good features and stunning graphics, the campaign is still poor.
    Which leaves me with a bit of a hole for best RTS. I enjoyed DOW Retributions variety and last stand mode updates but I don't think its personal GOTY material. If I can get away with Dungeon Defenders as an RTS then it takes the spot!!!

My final top 5 2011 candidate, is, I am afraid, a dirty console game. Gear of War 3. Decent co-op, MP and hoard mode out of the box, with a slew of both free and paid for DLC that have added nicely to the map count.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Cast my vote for Battlefield 3 in the spirit having a forum vote.

That said, I hate these "game of the year" articles, threads and polls. The only standard by which we're judging is popularity: quality is only implied as a reason for a game's popularity but is not required. Most of us, myself included, can't give an accurate vote on what's truly the "best" game of the year as we haven't even played them. They may be excellent, but they aren't popular enough so they're automatically disqualified. I don't mean to be too negative, just remember this is really more "Bit-tech Forum's Favourite Game of the Year".

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I went for Portal 2, The only other options were Crysis 2 and BF3. Out of the 3, Portal 2 is the only one i play regularly. I'm not fussed about MP, and i've clocked up less than an hour on BF3, So yeah.

Sam

11. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I went for Skyrim, I haven't played it myself but after watching my sister on it for a few days it does look magnificent, varied and very, very deep and rich.

My only other thought was Portal 2, but I haven't played it yet so I can't say for sure.

Battlefield 3 doesn't get my vote because I'm a tactical voter: however good it may be, it's another military shooter, and I'm on a mission to say no to the deluge of samey military shooters. Just really, really tired of them now.

12. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I went for BF3, a few teething issues at the start (me and a mate could NEVER join a game as a party, we had to go one at a time!!) but an awesome MP game (i have barely touched SP mode XD).

pretty much got my new GFX card for this game and its brought me back to the PC FPS genre after being more of a console FPS since.....BF2142 i think lol!

Deus Ex, is not as good as I expected tbh, great fun to play, but too console-ey to me.

Skyrim, didnt give me the WOW factor i expected from bethesda, although to be fair it was Fallout 3 after you step out the vault i got that! I guess I expected more wow, other wise its a great RPG.

Rage, meh, seems a bit ho hum, I enjoy it but it feels more linear shooter to me than any sort of rpg.

Minecraft, i wasted a good bit of time in it, but it fizzled out. Ill probably try it again soon.

Portal 2, a very good fun game, loved Steve Merchant in that, still too short for me.

And Batman Arkham City (thank you nvidia) seems very good fun, dont normally play this genre but enjoying myself nonetheless, bit disapointed in the technical aspects of the game (it struggles at times, but BF3 plays fine at high).

And i havent played the rest! Cept Anno 2770 or whatever year lol!

13. Zeus-Nolan

Zeus-Nolan Minimodder

Of all the games I've played this year (not many), Dirt 3, Skyrim and World of Tanks have been the most played, Skyrim has also been the least buggy too :D

14. October

October Mariachi Style

Probably would have voted for BF3 had I played it properly yet (only on a friends Xbox so far), as things stand Portal 2 for me.

15. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

WOW! Is it really that good? Only done the first level so far, but I've heard good things.

16. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Not sure if trolling aswell...

If not... *facepalm*

17. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I'd have gone for Star Wars: The Old Republic had it been on the list. Since it wasn't, BF3 gets my vote.

18. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

Skyrim for me, amount of gameplay you get from it, is how all single player games should be. I did expect a much grander scale of things, but thats probably from the expectation level built up from players.

Battlefield 3 is a close second, i love FPS, so its always gonna be up there. I am ignoring the SP even exists though.

Bastion for best indie game of the year, havent played trine 2 yet though, which i would expect would run it close for me.

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

And the winner is......

Battlefield 3