1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Dell U2711 revisions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by streetuk, 18 Dec 2011.

1. streetuk

streetuk What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know the differed between the revisions of the u2711 I've been reading about and wht the differences are?

Thanks

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

no, but usually it's bug fixes, or production improvements.

Example, I have the Dell U2410 Late Rev A00, and A04. I know that the A01 release marked LG production problems solved in making their IPS panels. (The U2410 was released before the U2711, U2711 was never infected. Dell U series monitors uses LG panels)

The U2410 A04 has some bug fixes on the menu (Dell, like most monitor manufacture, doesn't allow user firmware upgrade), and the touch sensitive button, while working perfectly before, are now improved further. (more sensitive and responsive).

3. streetuk

So im not necessarily going to be dissapointed if I get an earlier revision then. Aria are doing it for £580 at the moment so I might just go for that. Reason I was asking was I worried that there may have been a serious defect (I've heard of anti glare issues) with a revision of the U2711 so I thought I'd check. Way I look at it though is something that is so popular is going to have lots of posts on forums of "issues" with the product.

4. GoodBytes

Well Dell never says what is new in the revisions (like other manufactures).
    The only issue I know on the Dell U2711, is that the HDMI port is version 1.2 (based on 2 users here), so the max resolution is 1920x1080.

I have not read anything previously on the anti-glare issue. What is the issue?

5. streetuk

Sorry for the lack of more than one link (most reviews just mention that there's an issue and don't actually explain what the issue is).

http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/dell-ultrasharp-u2711/4864-3174_7-33913833-17.html I've read this in a review somewhere but I can't find the link now, it basically said the same thing.

Edit: There's also a few websites that offer tutorials on how to remove the anti glare coating, think it's a pretty widespread issue/problem. I'd ignore it but the customer review in the link above says he's had other Dell monitors with anti glare (like I have) and they didn't bother him, yet the U2711's did.

Weird that it's not mentioned in the majority of the reviews of this monitor (including Bit-Tech's) that seem to basically say it's one of the best.

6. GoodBytes

No it's ok. The """""""issue"""""""" is not really an issue. People that complain the most are those who are used to glossy screens. These kind of comments exists since day 1 in LCD screens. Primarily because of the texture of the film, you see a slight grain feeling on whites.
    (This effect was also visible back in the CRT days.. but with the lack of glossy CRT's, no one complained). And as consequence of the textured film, if you set the brightness level to "make me blind, please", you does show more, and in a dark room, too high brightness, you can see some minimal glittering effect.

This issue is visible when you have the monitor stuck in front of your nose. At a normal desktop setup (where you use a desk, that has depth.. where your keyboard doesn't have trouble fitting on your desk), and a normal brightness level that is properly adjusted with the amount of light in the room, it's not an issue.

As for the fine grain feel, you get quickly used to it.

It is true that LG (the panel in all Dell U series, and many HP's, and of course LG own products) anti-glare film used is.. well a bit on the aggressive side, but the cool thing about it, is that if you are next to a window... and the sun hit your screen directly, you still see your screen, no problem. Room light number, illumination and position is also not an issue.
    In addition, it's apparently (based on the 3M film specification, which is the film used on the monitor), it's light scratch resistance. Now, don't ask me how far it will go, especially that it's not advertised point, I won't go with far hopes. But if it means that the screen won't scratch because you didn't use the softest cloth in the universe, or had a bit or 1 hard dust particle on the cloth... then good. Especially for that price point, I think you'll be pretty pissed is you come and wipe it clean of dust and you just scratch it. What I like about the too, is despite it's aggressiveness, the sharpness of the screen, isn't affected, like the cheaper, "normal" anti-glare film that you can find in the mid range TN panels (that aren't glossy).

1- It doesn't come out well. It never does. Plus failure rate (destroying the screen) is high.
    2- You void completely the warranty of the monitor
    3- It becomes a mirror
    4- I saw pictures, and you can see the end result, when they show off the screen, the brightness is set at 100%, because it's glossy, or they take teh picture at some strange angle under very low light.
    5- People think that glossy = "sexy"... hence why we have the huge amount of full glossy laptop and computer monitors... people like it. I find it stupid, and destroys the computer experience.
    6- There is no turning back once done.
    7- It's stupid, you have a glossy panel at the end, and you see more yourself and your room, than the content, so you boost the brightness at 100% to compensate and then after long hours on the computer, your eyes are red, and potentially causing eye problems later on in ones life.

Because it's not an issue.
    It's just people used to glossy screens, that uses an improper computer desk, and/or don't know how to adjust the monitor brightness (or are used to having the monitor brightness at really high level, because they used to be on a glossy screen, and that was a requirement to reduce the reflection visibility). These are idiots. i place them in the around the same categories of people that put 2000000 lights in their computer, overly bright, that makes their room a disco rave at night, and sounds like a jet reactor, and blame their lack of gaming skills on their hardware and peripherals. If you are not happy with the screen, return it. Simple.

7. streetuk

Thanks for the info, I ordered it earlier from aria which is actually the latest revision anyway. Cheers

8. GoodBytes

Hope you'll like it.

Let me help you set it up for the best experience.

-> The monitor is heavy, be careful when get it out of the box and installing it. I would strongly suggest to read the installation diagram in the box, especially for this size of monitor. You might drop it while handling it.

-> The VGA cable comes pre-attached to the monitor, I would suggest to unscrew it and remove it, to keep it out of your way as you install the stand, and void scratching the stand.

-> The stand is heavy as well, as it's full metal.

-> Remove the protective thing in front of the monitor once fully installed to avoid accidental scratches.

-> The monitor is crazy bright. I have mine (U2410) set at a 0% brightness, and sometimes I find sill too bright :) So you may want to drop the brightness quiet a bit. Oh you'll see.. 0% (well on my U2410) is like 50% on other monitors.

-> The monitor default colors are set to Standard. The colors don't look very nice.. well they are nice.. but the monitor can do A LOT better.
    As this monitor comes with 2 pre-calibrated color profiles: Adobe RGB and sRGB, go in the menu and select which one you prefer the best. Once installed, Windows will get the color profile from the web. Once it's done, if you use Adobe RGB, and pictures look strange or off, you want to unload the color profile and set it to the default sRGB profile of Windows. If you use sRGB, you may want the color profile.
    To change this, Start > type: color > Select: Color Management.
    On the panel that will show, check the box "Use my setting for this device", click on "Add" button, and select: "sRGB virtual device model", and click on Apply. Your done.

-> If your monitor sounds like a microwave as you press each of it's button, you can turn off the "beep" sound in the monitor menu, under "Other Settings" section. Look for: "Button Sound".

Enjoy!
    Please tell me what you think of the monitor :)

And again, if you are not used to the anti-glare film on an LCD monitor, set it an appropriate space, and you should get quickly used to it.

N17 dizzi likes this.
  9. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

Good bytes a quick question for you sir! I currently have my u2711 on adobeRGB with windows set to adobe RGB, the colours look fine to me. Is this the best set up or can I improve further?

10. GoodBytes

I don't have the adobeRGB color profile on my Windows, so I don't know how it looks with my U2410 (I use sRGB Windows default profile). But I trust for better results.

Depends on what you are doing. If you are doing color critical work, then you should configure your image editor appropriately (see documentation in doing so). If you want to follow exact and popular standards in colors, then everything should be set to sRGB (but expect Windows interface, and everything that use color profiles, to look bland, because the monitor is a wide gamut one (due to the CCFL back light).

To make thing even more color accurate, you can use a color calibrator (which you set on either sRGB or Adobe RGB mode to follow), and use that to calibrate your screen. And do this every week, to compensate for the wear of the backlight and panel.

11. streetuk

Thanks a lot GoodBytes, really appreciate your info and help. I wish I could +1 your reputation but it doesn't seem to play well with iOS devices. I'll do it when I'm on my 27" U2711 after Christmas! ;) :)

12. streetuk

Just been playing with the U2711 now. It's amazing! One thing I'm not so sure with though is when I switch chrome to my Dell 2209WA, all the text appears big like I've zoomed in. Is this just a sort of optical illusion? I'm getting used to the smaller text on the U2711 and when I go back to my older 2209WA it just looks bigger even though it's the same as it was before? :s

13. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

That is a coincidence, I have a U2711 on the way and my current panel is a 2209WA! I am considering running the 2 or selling the 2209WA on... not sure.

Ctrl + mouse wheel is your friend for zooming text size :thumb:

14. streetuk

Yeah, I tried that but it's set at 100% and when I zoom in or out it just looks crap on the 2209WA. You won't regret buying the U2711 though. Just to mention the grain effect of the anti glare, I definitely notice it but it doesn't look bad at all or any worse than the 2209WA.

15. GoodBytes

Most people get used to to the anti-glare effect. You won't even notice it soon. Reducing brightness also helps. (well I know that most people have their U series monitor < 20-30% brightness, depending on the model, as it's so bright).

The zoom-in effect is due to the pixel pitch and size difference between each monitor.
    That is like having a 32-40inch TV 1080p, next to a 23inch computer monitor, also 1080p. The TV text will be bigger (and also harder to read, in this particular case, as it's "zoom-in" too much.

16. streetuk

I seriously don't know what the issue was, I have an iPad and I'd actually prefer it if Apple had an option for it. I think I read a while back though that they do it on purpose because you can see your face in the reflection and that's supposed to psychologically make you like the product more because people like to look at faces. Also I've heard on the technical side it makes colors look richer?

17. GoodBytes

That's right... well I don't know about the reflecting face part... at work I have (they give me on my desk) an iMac (running Windows 7), and I still hate it. :p

Glossy:
    -> Makes the screen look 10000 time better looking at the store (matte screens looks flat, and mundane.. AT THE STORE (also the fact that they are TN panels, so it doesn't help)). This is also why, you'll will never see a MacBook Pro with a non-glossy screen at an Apple store, despite having the option (depending on when Apple feels like it, to offer it). Take your lovely U2711., and put is next to any budget glossy TN, and set your U2711 to default color settings (and not Adobe RGB or sRGB). Now the TN looks better. I don't know why it does that affect. Maybe it's the lights they use in the store.

-> When you have an anti-glare screen, the film use distorts light, making the screen look less impressive. To compensate you need to, well a better anti-glare film technology (you can't just use anything), and you need some serious (expensive) backlight technology. When you are making a budget screen, having a good back light technology, and expensive anti-glare screen is not an option, especially when stores want a larger markup. This is where glossy films comes to the rescue. Glossy screen will give you more vivid colors, and also better sharpness, without investing more on a backlight technology.

-> As light isn't as distorted, usually blacks looks better, and you see less the back light bleeding issues of a screen.

18. MikeMK

MikeMK What's a Dremel?

Guys, got some cash for Xmas and debating about upgrading from my u2407 to the u2711. Some helpful info on this thread. As with many others, I'm a little concerned
    About the anti-glare when photo editing. I heard it makes it difficult to judge the amount of noise in a photo. From ppls experience here, is this a big issue. Monitor will primarily be used for gaming/multi media, but I am an amateur photographer so I would love to use such a high res screen for my photo editing too!

19. GoodBytes

I having a hard time finding info on the Dell U2407. I know it exists, but I have a hard time finding some deeper details. If it is an IPS panel and from LG, than the the anti-glare coating should be the same.

I don't do professional picture editing, but I can tell you, if I zoom in in my pictures, and look closely, and compare it to my laptop non-glossy screen (Dell Latitude E6400 LG screen, not aggressive anti-glare coating), I don't see how one can confuse noise. In fact, I having a hard time seeing the anti-glare coating. The only time I see it on my U2410 (which is the same as the U2711, and U3011, U2311H, and U2211), is when I got the monitor for the first week, replacing my CRT monitor, and that is: When I set my monitor brightness at 80-100% (good look not burning your eyes with this level of brightness with the Dell U series... Dell could have claimed that you see this monitor if you sit in the sun's core (assuming possible)), under a dark room, at night, the screen is too close, on white, AND I move my head around, to see some glitter. But noise?! No.

Granted this is NOT A PROFESSIONAL screen. It's just a really good CONSUMER monitor. And that should be kept in mind, when doing professional work that require color accuracy, or requires a good monitor in general. So don't expect perfection in every single aspect.

My take on it is: People that complain about that issue, have an abysmal desk setup, where the keyboard barely fits on the desk with the monitor, so the monitor is stuck too close to there eyes. Or they complain just to complain, because they are used to glossy screen, and probably experiencing buyers remorse.

20. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I found a good review with an excellent calibration set up.

Try the following:
    Mode selection: Graphics
    Brightness: 22 Contrast: 50
    Custom Colour: R 88 G 84 B 89

Looks great