1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

I have a Cherry G80-3000 which is around the £60 mark. I've had it for about 4 years now, and still loving it, typing is so much faster and smoother. Not sure about gaming though as I mainly code and write on mine. Don't forget: once you go clack, you'll never go back ;)

Grimloon likes this.
  2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

G80 is good, and a good price especially in Europe, but not the best for gaming as also only 2kro (excluding certain hard to find or old models) so may have some blocking issues in fast paced fps etc.
    Depends on games and play style a lot too though. I have one 11900, and had a 3000 one with black switch as my first mechanical. Before I have 6kro it was not problem, but now I notice it on the G80. I've gotten used to being able to do certain move due to no blocking.

3. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

The Corsair K60 mechanical keyboard is under £100 and has received decent reviews.

The keyboard is mechanical and uses Cherry MX Red's. These are linear, meaning the keys go down smoothly rather than in a "clicky" way, so they're less tactile than Cherry MX blues or even browns, but some people find that this makes them better for gaming. And unlike keyboards like the DasKeyboard and equivalent, this keyboard still includes media keys like volume control, fast forward etc.

(Be aware that the F-keys are "normal" keys, meaning not mechanical. If you're a mechanical keyboard fanboi I can understand how that might put you off, but since most people don't touch type with the F keys I don't see what the fuss is.)

4. IvanIvanovich

I do not like the Corsair, but not just because ew, domes. I dislike because they add unnecessary complexity to the design. More complex, more failure point. If China can make full mech keyboard for $56, surely Corsair can do it for $100.
    There is just no good design reason to make it the way they did. Making multi switch probably only added to the r&d with no benefit in the end to anyone. As many times it was delayed because of problems in function. Not a good sign.
    I've still yet to see any good pictures of it disassembled / its pcb(s) to see wtf they did.

Also a new Chinese board is out, which looks similar if not better, is wireless with wired option on same board, is full mechanical and tenkeyless. Instead of aluminum case, they leave visible the pcb on the top (the black in the photos) which is quite interesting in my opinion.
    Initial release MX black only though...
    Neo Zelia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Jan 2012
  5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I'd agree with lysol about the corsair, if you're looking to spend £100, I'd look elsewhere, you can pick up a filco new for not a lot more.

And lysol, that board looks awesome, saw some older pics of it, really making me consider if for my 2nd board (was originally looking for a smaller board as you may have seen from my wanted threads :p)

6. IvanIvanovich

Yeah, I'm keeping a hard eye on the Zelia. Still waiting to see news about when other switch type available. I'm not the biggest fan of blacks, but if ends up all is available, I buy it anyway. It's easy to swap the springs out on pcb mount switch to lighter ones. Would be nice to have wireless option for htpc.

7. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

The Corsair K60 looks pretty good to me and the reviews seem decent. People on forums seem a bit down on it though. The F keys aren't ideal of course but I think the 1 or 2 presses a day of those keys would be managable. Is there a good reason to avoid it?

8. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

2 reasons

the F keys (+print screen to page down row of keys)
    the price

if this was £50 then it'd make sense, but at £100 you can get a true mechanical keyboard.
    the only people that'll buy this keyboard will be corsair fanboys, and people who don't do research.

9. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

It's cheaper here in the states but still isn't worth it considering you could spend $15-$25 more and get a Ducky or Filco with better build quality, backlighting, the switch you want, better key caps......

10. leslie

leslie Just me!

The aluminum frame adds quite a bit to the price.

I do agree though, why switch to domes for the F keys. On the other hand, it doesn't matter on those really as you don't use them the same as you do the other keys. Mechanicals biggest advantage is in touch typing, and you don't touch type those keys. Most people just mash them and continue on. I doubt it took much R&D, domes are well sorted, just order some with a similar pressure sensitivity and move on. I just question how much that saved on the end product though, it couldn't have been more than a couple dollars.

I won't say it's not worth it, every mechanical is different and it's price isn't out of range for other mechanicals really.

11. ec928

ec928 What's a Dremel?

The K60's price is equivalent to other decent mechanical keyboards, and for normal people, spending a lot of time researching keyboards is actually a bit sad.

The F-key complaint is certainly not for valid functional reasons, because who actually touch types them? Answer: No one. No - people complaining about this are doing it purely for psychological reasons, because even though it makes "no functional" difference, it bothers them for no real practical reason other than knowing some keys are merely normal hence it's not 100% pure mech.

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I get my greasy mits on my filco tenkeyless w/browns tomorrow, first mechanical, hopefully the last

13. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Pleaseeee let us know what you think!

14. [PUNK] crompers

pics and review tomo night, you still thinking of getting one longweight? not pulled the trigger yet?

15. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Are there any Mec wireless keyboards with touch pad? (for HTPC)

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Nope not yet! So hard to decide what I want!

17. [PUNK] crompers

18. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Is it a mech? can not seem to find any where where it says that it is.

19. [PUNK] crompers

good point, but it is a KBC and it is £75 so wouldnt imagine its domes, if you're interested send them an email but its not wireless ofc

20. leslie

leslie Just me!

There are a few wireless mechanical keyboards, but I'm not sure it's such a good idea. Mechanical is all about feel and response (which a lot of manufacturers still can't get right), good wireless keyboards and mice are hard enough to get right, getting a good one with the right switches, that feels right, works well and built right just sounds like a dream. It just seems self defeating anyhow, to really take advantage of a mechanical you need it on a desk, and since keyboards aren't moved on a desk much, a wire isn't a big deal.

I highly doubt the one above is mechanical, companies emphasize that they use mechanical switched because they cost more and are considered a feature. There are plenty of dome keyboards that cost a lot. Price isn't a good indicator.

At any rate, I did find a wireless mechanical with a trackball but it was for the medical community and there was no price.