1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Pictures not displaying correctly

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bnr123, 1 Jan 2012.

1. bnr123

bnr123 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I have an issue with viewing pictures on my PC. When I open them, they come up all weird with lots of different coloured pixels on top of the normal picture. This only happens with pictures that I have saved and not ones that I look at on the internet. When I view a picture on the internet it is fine, but when I save it and open it, that's when I have the problem. It is also the same for pictures that I have had a long time. I hope this is a simple fix.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

What is your operating system? What picture viewer are you using?

3. bnr123

bnr123 What's a Dremel?

Sorry, should have said.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and I'm using the standard Windows Photo Viewer.

I have had a play around since the original post and the images come up fine in paint.net and GIMP so I'm assuming it's a windows problem?

4. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

It's the default picture viewer for Windows that does this. Have experience this my self. You might find if you turn off Areo this problem will go away.

5. GoodBytes

Install Microsoft Live Essential (free), it has a much better viewer.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials

If you still have the problem, then the problem is with your graphic card drivers. How is it related? Simple, Windows Live Essential, and Microsoft XPS viewer (PDF alternative from Microsoft (really cool.. convert a PDF to it (File > Print > Microsoft XPS printer), and check out how so much faster it is scrolling, and you can do Ctrl+H for some awesome multiple page view), are one of the several thing from Microsoft that uses your GPU instead of the CPU to draw/manage.

6. bnr123

bnr123 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for replying.

I have installed Windows Live Essentials and still have the problem. I have also updated the drivers for my graphics card and still have the problem. I have also noticed that when I zoom in and then back out on the pictures, it becomes more distorted.

I am using a Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

I have also disabled Aero but get the same result.

Also, slightly off topic, is that the Dire Wolf of House Stark you have as your avatar tehBoris?

Last edited: 1 Jan 2012
  7. tehBoris

tehBoris What's a Dremel?

I have no idea. Some one else on the forum wanted to use it, had some problems using it, I fixed it tested it and didn't change it.

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Most likely caused by an invalid color profile. Grab the sRGB V4 file from here and apply it.

9. GoodBytes

Yup, sounds like a bad color profile. Use Windows default one.
    Just type in the start menu: Color Management, to open the Color Management panel, and remove the current profile, and load Windows default sRGB one.

10. IvanIvanovich

Why use the default one, which is outdated v2 from 1996? V4 is much better. It was a very noticeable difference and was nearly perfect calibration for me. I just had to drop the blue a hair to compensate for the led backlight.

11. GoodBytes

Windows sRGB colro profile (default) is a 2005 profiles (when Vista was in Beta).
    Also, doesn't mean that is old that the colors are wrong.

12. IvanIvanovich

The colors aren't wrong on v2, but v4 is a huge improvement. Try it and see. It's a huge difference as it compresses much less, and has more efficient perceptual color handling. I'm seeing more detail in very light and very dark images than I used to with v2.
    It also added support for the YCC RGB, which can be nice for multimedia as using ycc over hdmi makes a nice difference too, on my particular tv anyway.

Last edited: 2 Jan 2012
  13. GoodBytes

Just to be clear, I was talking about "sRGB virtual device model profile" (Windows default, and what Windows uses for the visual environment of the interface), not "sRGB IEC 61966-2.1"

14. bnr123

bnr123 What's a Dremel?

Haha! I don't really know what you guys are talking about!

Not that it matters, I turned on my PC today and it's back to normal. I'm just hoping it won't happen again.

Thanks again for the replies.

15. ChrisDyl

ChrisDyl What's a Dremel?

Seems funny, you triggered a high level intellectual debate on the issue and then you moved back from your stance... really funny, isn't it?:D