1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Sandy Bridge E build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by izools, 28 Dec 2011.

1. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Ah I see, I'm at around 1.32V at the moment after checking.

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

The 7970 gpus scale pretty well it seems:
    http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1570

But I'm with a couple of others here, why bother with a SB-E for gaming? Seems like a waste of money to me (unless you were dealing with crazy resolutions like some of the members here)

3. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Well I see one of two reason for a SB-E Build, there is the reason Pookey built his rig, which is work related

and then theres the reason Me, True_Gamer, Lysaer and Seb.F built a SB-E rig, because you want the absolute best!

Also M/B and CPU has no effect on whether you can run insane resolutions, completely down to the GPU

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  4. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Absolute best is questionable really, your probably £1k worse off and you see zero benefit in games..

5. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

Can add me to that as well!

6. thetrashcanman

Oh yeah sorry mate you too :D

7. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

It won't just be for gaming.

It'll be left on 24/7 torrenting (although a Celeron would do for that) and transcoding video from Blu Ray and other sources - something multicore is epic for :)

Yes, the upstream usage on my Cable connection far outweighs my downstream usage... :thumb:

3lusive likes this.
  8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Is that at 100% stress levels? Mine's at low to mid 80s at 4.7GHz with 1.38V. I'd love to know how you've managed to get temps so low. I can only assume mine is working correctly.

Can I ask, where have you plugged the H100 into? CPU FAN motherboard header? If so, what is the pump RPM reading (CPU FAN)?

This is true... but then there's the upgrade to DDR3 2133 RAM, and buying a Rampage IV Extreme that had NOTHING to do with work.. LOL.. I sit in both camps actually.

I know nothing, no. I would just rather wait until Kepler is released. I've only just bought this second 580, so I'm in no rush. Kepler may decimate the 7XXX cards, and I'd be gutted if I'd just dropped a load of cash on the AMD cards. I'll sit back, wait and see who comes out on top.

9. Seb.F

Seb.F Minimodder

I'll flash the board with the new BIOS then have another go at it, will report back as soon as I can :)

10. thetrashcanman

HAHA, that's very true mate, good point :D

11. Enigma8750

Enigma8750 What's a Dremel?

I like this too.. But I would suggest you look at the ASRock X79 Extreme9 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.. I have been debating between the Sabretooth and the AsRock Extreme 9 and have about decided to go with the AsRock.. but like you, mate.. I am new to the INtel scene so I am watching this thread as well as you are for my own reasons...:cooldude:

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Well these are my temps @ 4.8GHz with my fans on low after running Intel burn test and then Geekbench with 1.4v vcore.

[​IMG]

13. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Just picking up on a new point, I don't think the Define XL will fit the H100 since it doesn't have any dual 120 mounts.

14. Pookeyhead

Yeah but your cooling is outrageous! LOL However, it would seem Seb's H100 equals your outrageous cooling, which makes me think Seb has a temp reporting issue.

15. thetrashcanman

ditto!

16. thetrashcanman

Well obviously you won't see any benefit in games as two extra cores will make zero difference for a good few years to come I think, but go look at the geekbench 32bit and 64bit leaderboards and see which rigs are top of the pile.

17. shaunster1011

Indeed, if you want to top some benchmark lists then SB-E is the way to go. :D

Of course its the 'absolute best' but if you never use it in real world programs then whats the point.

18. Pookeyhead

What's the point of owning anything nice? I own a Mustang.. but it won't get me to work any more efficiently than my Micra. In fact, it will be a great deal less efficient LOL.

I did have a reason for going SB-E, but I'd have still done it if I hadn't. Gaming wouldn't be a reason though... it would have been "Because I wanted it, and I could"... which is good enough reason, as it's his money. I did also question the value of going SB-E for gaming, but only because I thought the OP may have expected some kind of performance advantage over regular SB when gaming, which of course he wouldn't have - not because I thought it a "waste" to buy it only for gaming.

Sometimes, it's just nice to splurge out on the best of something... just because you've worked hard and earned it.

19. shaunster1011

Ahhh well, I can see the point in owning a fast car... its a lot more fun to drive than a micra :D

20. Pookeyhead

Can you not see the point in owning a fast computer? :)