1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Anyone heard of this monitor fault?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Dr_Horse, 2 Jan 2012.

1. Dr_Horse

Dr_Horse What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

When my comp is on and I turn my monitor on the monitor emits a slight whine and drops back in to standby mode. To get it to wake up again I have to turn it off and then on again, only for it to drop back in to standby mode. In the few seconds that it's awake for, I can see the PC behaving perfectly normally as it boots, loads windows and then patiently waits for a windows password while I faff around.

After probably 40 recycles of the power, the screen will emit a louder whine then come on for good and work perfectly. Seriously, no issues at all, until I either turn it off or it drops in to standby through lack of use and then I'm back to square one.

I've tried a different kettle plug but no difference. Not tried a different vga cable or screen yet but I'm pinching some from work tomorrow to see if it acts the same.

The screen itself is about 3 years old, some 22" digimate I got from Aria in an xmas sale. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of a similar problem and whether it was anything other than the screen I should be looking at?

Sorry for the rubbish thread title, I just couldn't summarise my question down enough to make sense.

Running win7 64 bit q660 @ stock 4gb ocz gold 800 4870 1gb ocz stealthxtream 600w

Thanks guys!!!

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Have you checked that the kettle lead is making proper contact with connector on the monitor. I had the same problem a while back and that fixed it.

Just make sure that when you try it the computer and monitor are unplugged at the wall because when I did it there was a loud buzz, blue light and I almost lost my right arm hair. :D
    It also took the monitor a few days to get it's senses back!

3. Dr_Horse

Thanks for replying.

I did check that and I've tried wiggling it while cycling the power but no effect. It's a pretty snug fit so if it's that then it must be something wrong with the actual connectors inside, and if it's that then why would it cause a problem then suddenly work? Evil capacitors?

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I'm guessing one or a little group of the caps has either now got a dome at the top or blown completely. What's the warranty like on your monitor at the moment?

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The monitor is broken. I know this issue. You need a new circuit board for the monitor (you can't buy that, other than going at a scrap shop, find the exact model of your monitor, break open that one, break open your, and put the hopefully working one, with the current one).

or you could replace all the faulty capacitors on it, if you are skilled in that domain.

I am surprised that your Digimate monitor survived this long.. must be a manufacture error, that you had.

6. Dr_Horse

You might not believe this but I just checked and the warranty ran out about a week before the fault started.

7. Dr_Horse

Thanks Goodbytes, good knowledge.

I guess the next question is - what's the best value and/or cheapest 22 - 24" screen anyone has seen that will do full HD with hdmi connectors?

8. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Better off posting that question in the main hardware section where you will get better replies.

9. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

As others have said, certainly a capacitor and it will eventually go entirely. Staggering that it hasn't already to be honest. Unless it's a very expensive Eizo/NEC/Dell screen, it's really not worth the bother trying to fix it.

10. Dr_Horse

Thanks a lot everyone for their responses. Took a full 16 hands of mah jong on my phone before the thing would turn on so over to the hardware section to pick me out a doozy!

Thanks again!