1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Staff changes at Bit-tech and Bit-gamer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 6 Jan 2012.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I'm glad I was here for the glory days, best of luck to the staff!

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Since you're all free lancers any chance of getting Gareth back?

Hope you, Joe et al jobs remain secure with your new statuses.

3. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

I caught some wind of this at the meet-up after LITS, but was sworn to silence. I've been waiting rather anxiously to find out what the details were. Still a little concerned. Content volume seems to have been down quite a lot recently, without the permanent staff can we expect to see more or less?

I think the BT/CPC split is a good idea though. Republishing made either the magazine or the site obsolete. I would only buy the magazine when it had something which was of unique interest but a lot of the time I knew I could just get the exact same stuff on BT a few days later. I'd deffo be buying the mag more with independent content. Also solves the backwards timing of the whole thing. Websites have the advantage of no lead time to publishing. Article done: post it. Waiting to put up the content in an attempt to create artificial scarcity to sell magazines was not going to be sustainable in the long run. Indeed apparently it wasn't.

I'm going to remain positive for now. The writers haven't exactly fallen off the face of the planet. I wish everyone luck in their future endeavors.

PS: At least I'll always have the memories of the rock, paper, scissors championships (bit blurry though)

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Could be....

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Mr. Halfacree is coming back, I've heard.

6. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

I can't speak for bit-tech, but Gareth will certainly be regularly contributing to Custom PC from Issue 103.

7. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

Many thanks again to James. I do appreciate that there are big boots to fill here.

If it's okay, rather than answer some of the individual points raised here regarding what happens next, I'll set up a separate post on the forum and do my utmost to get to them there. I'll be as honest and straight with you as I can, even if it might take me a day or two to respond (blame my wife's birthday weekend).

My thanks again to James, and I wish him the very best.

Simon

8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

The same as above is true of Custom PC, but Ben Hardwidge is stepping in to manage that.

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Having spoken to Simon, he's very keen for bit-tech to 'be bit-tech' again. Rather than the end, hopefully this is a beginning and we're keen to include more content that makes the website what it is.

I'll be continuing to write for the site in a similar format to before on a freelance basis and Simon is keen to improve things following the feedback you've put forward recently. I have some exciting stuff planned for the modding section - before now I've had to write/edit entire labs tests for the magazine each month, plus several reviews, the Elite list (like a buyers guide) and all the previous modding content. This left me with no time to do anything more elaborate than MOTM, MOTY and the odd feature.

We're keen for this to change so if there's anything you'd like to see in the way of modding, please please drop me a line in the forum.

Xtrafresh likes this.
  10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Good luck to all those moving on to new pastures (and to those remaining, of course).

11. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

All the best for the change guys. I hope it's for the better for you all.

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

As Krikkit has mentioned, some of us have had a little time to digest the news and consider what it means.

I'd also like to say thanks to the staff who have made the site the success it is, despite some of the corporate pressures, and wish all the best to the new team (some of which we already know), and to those moving on to pastures new.

14. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Good luck to those who have left and to those of you who have just arrived.

15. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Long live the forums! If the writing is to be on a freelance basis does this mean you will have no lab to do testing in? I can see the expertise dying very quickly without a centralised system for testing etc....

16. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

What can i say..... Goood luck, change is always good, I'm still gona be a loyal follower and looking forward to some interesting changes ahead.

17. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Hmmm, trust Denis to do this.
    Since Denis came on board I have had less of a reason to frequent the site as much as I once did.
    This surely is the nail in the coffin.

To the staff whom have slaved over this site for so many years and produced excellent articles, I wish you all the very best of luck and hope you all find an employeer deserving of your skills!

Denis have yet again not failed to disapoint, I feel somewhat sorry for the staff whom are having their puppy taking away form them after so many years of hard work.

Guys I truely feel for you.

Best of luck to you all!

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Is there a bit more in the way of a reason for the changes?

19. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We will still have a lab to work from - as Baz mentioned earlier, we will not allow standards to slip!

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aw, did'ja miss me?

As Ben said, I'll be returning to the pages of Custom PC magazine from Issue 103 onwards, and if you're all *really* lucky I'll be donning my newshound hat and coming back home to bit-tech too...

Watch this space! Well, not *this* space. The news page.

Tags: Add Tags