1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bit-Tech questions

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by brumgrunt, 6 Jan 2012.

1. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I was thinking that Blazz.
    And Simon, like I said about the younger readership (that being me and Blazz for a start), it would be nice to be able to contribute to the modding section a lot more. I'd certainly jump at the chance to do it! I believe it would be enjoyable for everyone.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Everyone is able to create a new post with a review! If you really want to contribute then that is what you should be doing. Maybe ask for such a section?

3. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

Always, always interested in good writers :)

4. KidMod-Southpaw

Then you'll love me and Blazz.
    *Acting cool* We do GCSE english. :D

Back on topic... :worried:

5. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

+1 to this and may I add crossfire/SLI testing. Its been, what 2 and a half years since the last group test! It was HD3xxx and the GTX9xxx had just released. Since then multi-gpu has been shunned.

Game tweak guide was another piece of gold. If hardware testing takes too much resources, looking at getting games running and how each option affects performance would be an alternative. Even a game mods reviews (anyone see the head developer of new vegas released his own personal mod?). TBH I was looking into writing and submitting a review along these lines later in Feb after exams.

6. brumgrunt

Capital E in English ;-)

alialias likes this.
  7. KidMod-Southpaw

Wonderful! You see, this is what we could have been waiting for:
    For where we feel the staff missed out content, we could fill it with out own. Pretty simple eh? :D

8. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Which is why I was a bit worried about my suggestion. I know I'm not in the majority at all with my position.

Merchandising is one option which is already in operation, but it relies on a lot of brand recognition and modding isn't exactly mainstream, being a sub-set of a sub-set of the geek community. I don't have any special knowledge when it comes to the subject of making money from a website, so I don't want to claim to have any special answers. The websites which do manage tend to have some greater cultural appeal like Penny Arcade or Gawker. This involves community building, which BT already has thanks to the forums, so community events and trade shows could be one solution.

Like I said, I have no particular knowledge in this domain and I'm talking out of my bum, but I want to see BT succeed because it has been my go to for computer hardware/software info with UK relevance ever since I was old enough to be able to understand it. I was 10 when BT first appeared and even though I haven't been a particularly active member of the community I would hate to see it disappear. Who else am I going to turn to for reviews with the first price listed in GBP? :thumb:

9. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

*Ahem*

I do iGCSE English.

/badassery

Back on topic, the revisiting idea seems really good, because sadly, these days, games aren't really released completed. This would be a lot more fair if a total game-breaker was fixed in later weeks.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I did games design at uni so anything on the design/technical aspects of making games would interest me... but I may be in the minority there...

The tweaking guides never go amiss though... people like to get the most out of their gear...

The question came up in the folding forum, so i thought it'd put it to you.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

You do your English studies via an iToy? For crying out loud, Apple is everywhere... :p

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Oh noes, I see trouble ahead with that idea of letting us make comments KidMod :)

13. KidMod-Southpaw

Well no, not that simply! :)
    If some of us can prove ourselves good writers then it's worth a shot. :thumb:

14. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Are you going to be a LITS this year?

I remember, way back in 2011, I met James and Clive. I was impressed with their knowledge, to say the least. ( I even asked for a job, to which I was told that I could have Harry's job, which I think may have been light hearted sarcasm)

However, I'm not one to falter in the face of change, yet I still feel that the old saying 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' comes to mind. However, if some of the writers are going then I hope they weren't forced.

Good luck, Simon.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If you want to write, then, well, write. I posted two product reviews in the forum and one was edited into a main site article. Other members have also written some great reviews and tutorials. Join in, and if it is good enough you may find your name on the main site.

16. brumgrunt

Thank you. I'm not sure what's happening with LITS this year, I'm afraid. Should become clearer in the weeks ahead.

Simon

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Will there now be an annual cheesecake competition? :lol:

Welcome and good luck Simon.

18. brumgrunt

My heart says yes. My waistline says no!

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

Haha, I'm still suffering from the 2008 supertest. That nearly killed us, and nearly cost Harry his job! :D

20. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws What's a Dremel?

Dear Simon,

I am a long time international reader from Canada. I have recently joined as a member, be it that some of the recent events have sparked my direct interest. I agree that BT's content has dramatically diminished over the last year. This could very well be the change over of hands which I could only assume would be painstakingly time consuming. I am glad to see there are intended changes to bring BT back to the website that I came to for my primary source of all that is PC goodness. I will be honest this last year left me looking elsewhere as other websites were doing reviews that BT had neglected to do on some important pieces of kit that are very good and very mainstream. I prefer to get my quality information here due to the fact that there is an undeniable standard set, which I am glad to read will be kept.

I know everyone was all hyped up about sandy bridge-E and as such most of the LGA1155 stuff got left in the dust, which there was much that should have been reviewed still. Which to be honest is where most people will put there money. Ie. EVGA Z68FTW is a review I am patiently waiting to read from BT's perspective.

I am onside with the fact that advertising is a must for a source of revenue, not sure how many people here like working for free, not I! But I am also glad to see that some more streamlined changes and control measures will be put into place.

I am looking foreword to the changes being made. I'll be blunt if BT were to continue in the path of last year I would be hard pressed to have reasons to return which really pains me to say so because I have much respect and admiration of the work that has gone on over the years.

Thanks for all the time and effort that has gone on and I hope will continue and good luck to all are coming/going/staying with BT. Simon your honesty has earned a great deal of respect from me, and I hope all the readers will give you an honest chance, and I eagerly anticipate the weeks and months ahead.

Thank you ever so much for your time
    Brian

p.s. More water cooling reviews pls. As well has Kingston hyperX genisis ram, cougar vortex fans, and corsair H100 review(even though I already bought it :).