1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Error/reboot on startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dr.c.strange, 29 Nov 2011.

1. dr.c.strange

dr.c.strange What's a Dremel?

Hi again,

I recently posted in here with a problem that I had had regarding windows aero theme which thanks to the lovely people on here has now been fixed! There is just one other problem with my new pc now, it seems to have to take two attempts to start up.

I push the power button and everything lights up, then it shuts down again for about 5 seconds, then reboots and starts with no problems. I thought I could just live with this but it seems if the pc goes to sleep then it won't come out of sleep (no input through keyboard - caps won't light up, no output through monitor - just says no signal) The only thing I could do was to force shut down by holding the power button. However this time when it goes through its rebooting thing it displays the error message

'Overclock failed. Press f1 to change setup' or something to that effect.

I got in contact with scan and they have asked me to run memtest which i'll do asap. Any other ideas from anyone in the meantime?

Specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K Unlocked, S1155
    Mobo: Asus P8P67-M PRO, Intel P67 Express
    Case: Inwin DRAGSLAY Dragon Slayer M-ATX
    PSU: 650W PSU, Antec TruePower New Modul
    CPU cooler: Antec Kúhler H2O 620 CPU Watercoole
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Blue
    GPU: 1GB MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II/SO
    Hdd: Sata 3 Seagate barracuda 500gb

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh look, an Asus 1155 motherboard. I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Mine does the above sometimes. It also comes up with 'cpu fan error' sometimes. I also had the DDR3 memory voltage/timings problems. Its probably the case that there are thousands of people out there with Asus motherboards working just fine, but at the same time, it does seem to me, that everytime someone comes on the forum with a system problem, there is an Asus 1155 motherboard at the heart of it.

First of all: is your CPU overclocked at all?

3. dr.c.strange

yeah... I've certainly had my fair share of failing asus motherboards... Could this be the problem? The cpu is not overclocked...

4. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

5. dr.c.strange

that is very similar! I will give the thread a good looking through later on and see if anything helps, thanks a lot!

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I had the same problem now my system isn't oc'd and it went away!

Last edited: 30 Nov 2011
  7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Return motherboard while you can. And change it to a different brand, such as Gigabyte, among others.

8. dr.c.strange

The pc just blue screened after crashing with an audio lag... does it sound like the motherboard to everyone?

9. dr.c.strange

Scan have agreed on rma'ing most of the parts. Hopefully the motherboard is faulty and I can change it to this one:

MSI Z68A-G45 (B3) Intel Z68 Socket 1155 Motherboard

Is this any good? I've read reasonable things.

So unfortunate that I had spent hours getting the cable management and inside case looking spot on and now i need to undo it all :-(

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Be aware, that if you RMA to scan, they will charge you for testing and for return delivery if it is found to be in working order.

Test and retest before you send it off.

11. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Oddly for the first time in ages my system just double booted on me. Cold start might have been the problem. But last night I had no issues at all.

I hope this isnt becoming a trend with me too. Else it looks like I'm taking my system back! I also had an issue where BIOS read my PSU fan wasnt running up or was running at a too slow a speed and it was showing as a problem.

12. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

I did manage to get scan to do a "free charge " return after they tested my components to be OK. ;)
    They took a month to do the needful and their "testing expert" refused to retest some specific stuff which I mentioned. Managed to talk my way out of it :D

13. dr.c.strange

They've asked for the PSU, mobo, ram, cpu and gpu... As they don't know what component it is thats going wrong they can only ask for a selection... I feel it would be massively unfair to charge for bits that are ok... I even took this scansure policy out in case this happened. Well I'm going to turn my pc off today and take it to pieces. I will use this opportunity to maybe mod the case (I'll post it on here! :))

Hopefully scan will sort this out for me..

14. dr.c.strange

Ok so for anyone interested/has the same problem, the fault that scan found was with the Antec Truepower PSU. It "Crashed under load, causing power Cycling." with the extra note added "Everything seems fine under load using my PSU. Wouldn't run more than a few mins using the Antec." so there it seems we have the problem. I have now bought a PSU tester in case anything like this happens again.

Using the spare time waiting for a replacement to mod the case: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=222015

Last edited: 7 Dec 2011
  15. dr.c.strange

Got the bits back, exactly the same problem. Tried playing skyrim, got about 2 minutes in then pc crashed, sound lagged, image froze, couldnt do anything but a hard reboot. Same reboot on startup problem.

Took all the components out bar the mobo, cpu and psu and it still does it so its either the motherboard is **cked and scan missed it, or the new psu broke immediately.

so so annoying

16. Informatn

Informatn What's a Dremel?

Hello guys,
    I have a similar problrm:
    I have an antec kuhler 620 with a 3 pin power connector, but the CPU fan plug on my motherboard has 4 of them. It won't boot until I plug in a 4 pin cooler.

Need assistance!

Asus p868v motherboard 1155
    Intel i5 2500k
    Antec kuhler 620
    Vengeance 16gb 1366mhz

17. DampSquid

DampSquid What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem with mine when i got it. Turns out all you need to do is update the BIOS and that will sort it out immediately.

Not had any problems with the motherboard since.

18. dr.c.strange

I see, well they just picked all the pieces up again and ive asked if anything is faulty that i can change the component to a different brand. i'll report back soon