1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD FX-8150 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 12 Oct 2011.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Different kit is always going to have slightly different results, but the end result is still the same, it's not producing the results people were hoping for. I've said it these forums before, I built my rig with Bulldozer in mind, but if it's not better or worse in some cases than my 1100T, there's very little reason for me to upgrade..I could overclock the arse off it, but for what, I would be seeing very little gain. I was going to hang it out for a while before upgrading, just in case there were any bugs that needed ironing out, as it stands now, waiting for Pile driver seems like the next option or maybe a new revision of bulldozer. Even if it still wasn't quite up to 2600k performance, but was 20-25% better than the 1100T it would make upgrading worth the out lay, then overclock it and it would be a very good chip...But as it stands right now, for me thats just a dream, the same dream I had for Bulldozer.

2. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

So I've read a lot of discussion out of the tests but I still have not seen one that would have made ​​a decent 3D test from any decent program. For example 3D Max. For me it would be a good comparison either BD, so is 2600k better or not??? For me, it does not matter whether I get a few more frames in the game or not because, most of the programs dose not use 2 core so what are we tolking about then 8 core ??? The AMD it self sed the DB has better multi tasking. If anyone has any experience or interest to make a decent BD 3D max test, please let us know.

Thank you :)

3. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

My local retailer has the FX8150 priced in between the i7 2600 and 2600K.
    NZ$429 for the FX and NZ$409 and NZ$459 for the i7s.

I know that these guys have very small profit margins for most things so it must have cost them a bit extra to get them in.. I have a feeling they won't sell many.

4. Ratchet219

Ratchet219 What's a Dremel?

Did anyone hear what AMD say about their all powerful "Bulldozer" now?...

5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

This is a shame indeed, especially since I've already got my AM3+ board in wait for the 8150.
    However, I will get one in spite of the mediocre reviews. I for one never expected Bulldozer to be an i7 killer, or for it to single-handedly revolutionize the CPU industry, but I was definitely expecting something more than this.

Anyhow, I will get one and will find out for myself if it is as bad as the reviews make it out to be for what I'll be using it for. And still, I'll get a new piece of tech to mess around with - which is always fun. I make no excuses for it; I like AMD. I've remained an ardent supporter of AMD and have got all their new chips since the K5, and I've had a blast with all of them. I suppose an analogy would be to state that it is somewhat comparable to the guys that are into football and how they will support their teams regardless of how those teams do in the series (I can't say I know for sure though as football and I are like oil and water).

6. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

What's so disappointing is that, despite fan-boy-ism, and a desire to see a competitive processor market, the new chip just doesn't make any sense even compared to the old X6 1100. It may be a little faster, but more power hungry and more expensive to buy just doesn't make any sense.

And I'm worried that AMD will be really, really stupid, and stop shipping the Phenoms soon - forcing people to move over to Bulldozer whether we want to or not...

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Given the general sentiment in this thread, the following amused me:

[​IMG]

:hehe:

8. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

:lol: :lol: :lol: What made me laugh was the intel leaks about ivybridge a few days after the dust had settled on the failure that is bulldozer...salt and wounds spring to mind...

9. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

silver lining time in my eyes.

wont the release of the dozy bring the prices of older processors down?

Now we can get a similarly statted processor for even less (albeit with an overclock or so )

For those going new...Intel will be the way forward. We've known this for a while, but for those of us who either can't afford a new rig or have no option but to upgrade down the AMD route this should be hailed as a good thing for consumers....there is no reason to always buy new when old tech performs similarly.

Lets wait out the dozy for a bit because launch time always produces screw ups...even sandybridge wasn't exempt from that.

Guess all i'm saying is even though it's a stinker, give it time and let AMD learn from it.

Nic

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

No. Phenom will quickly fade away from market, and intel has no reason for price change.

11. bulldogjeff

I think based on reviews and what they would have know anyway, they'll hold off. AMD have always had long model runs on their CPUs so I can't see it being any different now. Any way, if they did kill off the Phemons they wouldn't just be shooting themselves in the foot, it would be like blowing one leg clean off. Some how I don't think they are that stupid. well I hope not.

12. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Good for you mate, on the basis of that analogy though what football team would AMD be right now?

13. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Scouse Kid 1: "Accrington Stanley? Who are they?"
    Scouse Kid 2: "Exactly!"

One for the older forum readers there ;)

st1x likes this.
  14. bulldogjeff

I am in the same boat as you, I love AMD stuff, just always seems more robust than Intels offerings. I've had my UD3 AM3+ mobo for months waiting in anticipation. If Bulldozer was as good or even slightly better than the 990X I would have been on it straight away, but alas it isn't and my 1100T will be staying until some thing convinces to upgrade.

15. bulldogjeff

lol The old milk advert

16. multiodd

multiodd What's a Dremel?

It is a shame, though I can understand why AMD have done this.
    The desktop market is a small dying market.
    So with limited funds, AMD have concentrated on where the money and numbers are ie, low power cpus and server cpus, my desktop is now left a bit in the cold.
    I've sold my intel 920 system and purchased a amd 1050 recently hoping to move upto this new cpu, but now have nowhere to go. Does anyone want a 1 month old 1050t 8gb MB set :-(

17. hengehog

hengehog What's a Dremel?

Yeah,
    Sad so it may seem, I think AMD have bolted a bit early with the APU thing.
    Sony failed with the Cell processort that's used on the PS3 (Albeit a much cut down version of the full IBM job).
    I reckon Intel will do an "Apple" on the whole idea in a few years time & suggest that the idea was actually all their's?
    At that point, the whole FX Bulldozer series of processors will look like a much under-respected legend.

I tell you, I loved my O'clocked Opty dual core - May she rest in piece (a small resevoir leakage saw her go up in a cloud of sparkles), but I think AMD are concentrating on bigger & smaller things than the desktop processor.

Have fun with your (inevitably) Intel rigs. I tell you I do.

18. bcox9

bcox9 What's a Dremel?

This article is very descriptive I'll give it that, but it's obviously written by someone who favors intel. Even if ever so slightly. Notice how when he/she is stating that the AMD processor didn't achieve the performance of one of the intel processors that he/she is picking out the strengths. (gonna stick with he) He says that the FX-8150 doesn't achieve the performance of say the 2600k, but then he says that it doesn't achieve the power consumptions rates of the Core i5. You can't take 3 intel processors with different strengths across the board, and pick out each respective strength when comparing it to the FX-8150. This is a biased article, which I guess all articles are. Don't take every word spoken for hard fact. Like on one of the benchmarks it states that the program saturates every core, well then it states that the FX-8150 didn't compare to the Thuban, well think about it. It won't, because it's doing 8 cores worth of work while the thuban is only doing 6 cores worth of work. I'm not saying this is a bad article, because it's not. It's very informative and helpful in see where AMD is going with their tech, I'm just saying think for yourselves and don't take what any article says for hard fact. Also another thing that bothered me, which is probably in the consensius of most people buying computers nowadays, which is the money. I priced an FX-8150 at about 270, while an intel extreme is about a grand. Now I don't know about you guys, but I'll lose 30 percent in processing power for 500% savings in money. The more I read over this article the more I think the writer is biased for intel processors, just by the way it's written. I don't mean to start a fuss, but I personally don't put much credit in the fact that not once money was mentioned. The fact that there is a HUGE price gap between these CPUs. Money is everything in the computing industry, and any industry for that matter.

Thanks for reading,
    Ben

19. maroon1

maroon1 What's a Dremel?

"He says that the FX-8150 doesn't achieve the performance of say the 2600k, but then he says that it doesn't achieve the power consumptions rates of the Core i5"

Dear bcox9, FX-8150 consume much more power than i7 2600 as well. You can easily check power consumptions charts in any bulldozer reviews

20. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

Its been 3 years (almost) and us 'Fan Boys' have only inched forward. I sold my dad my Phenom II for an 8350... traded my Phenom II back for the 8350, it was an albatross.

Its a really good point about adding 2 more cores to a Phenom II x6, 2mb more cache, and shrink the die..
    Imagine a 28nm Phenom III x8 @ 4.5 ghz.........

We wont see a true gaming CPU from AMD till late 2015 or 2016.. too long, too long.

Tags: Add Tags