1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice How Did I Do With My Mid-Range Gaming PC? (Specs & Price Inside)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zaine UK, 13 Jan 2012.

1. Zaine UK

Zaine UK What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone. I just bought the following system which included been fully built, overclocked and a simple 3 year warranty.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80 Water Cooler
    Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
    Memory: 16.0GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (4x 4GB)
    Hard Drives: Corsair 180GB Force3 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
    Optical Drive: 10x Blu-Ray RW S-ATA
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB
    Sound Card: Creative X-FI Xtreme Audio 7.1 PCI-E
    Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
    PSU: 650W Corsair TX Ultra-Quiet
    Warranty: 3 Year Warranty

Total £1030

I priced it all up seperatly on Scan and Dabs and it came to about £1200 so i'm quite pleased. What do you think and will it be a good gaming PC for the next few years?

Thanks... Martin

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012
  2. Penfold101

Penfold101 What's a Dremel?

I'm intrigued by the fact that some of the components have "New!" written next to them. Does that imply the rest are second-hand...?

:eyebrow:

3. Zaine UK

Zaine UK What's a Dremel?

Ah no, thats where i added them to the configuration. I've removed that now. BTW i will be using a resolution of 1080P for gaming.

4. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

If it was me, i would've stuck with 8GB of ram and forked out for a GTX570 instead, that extra ram you're not going to notice unless you're doing video/audio editing or 3d modelling.

And i don't see the point of a blu-ray drive unless you're using powerDVD.

5. AoE

AoE What's a Dremel?

I am sure if you shopped around you could have saved about £150 on that build, put toward a 570 or something, and probably saved £280+ if build 2nd hand and with a bit of patience, but new is good for peace of mind.

6. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

16GB of ram is more than enough for most things but it is cheap at the moment so probably worth while including it if you feel you may need it now/later.
    GTX 560 is a good card currently which should be able to run most games well at high settings on 1080p. Plenty of room for overclocking it later to gain some fps if it starts struggling. Graphics is usually what needs replacing first. My oc'd 460 holds well with a 1080p game on one screen and a video playing on a 2nd.
    Blu-ray drive, now they are cheaper are becoming more attractive for a pc, half what they were not all that long ago. You may need to buy software for it though.

Only thing I don't see is a HDD only an SSD. If your only running games on it 180GB should be enough. However, if you start adding files etc. particularly photos or videos it will fill up fast.

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

If your budget can afford it, I'd recommend swapping out that PSU for the 'HX' series equivalent.
    The cables on that TX650 are terribly bulky and a pain to do decent cable management with, also the fan is far from ultra-quiet. :\