1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Dodgy scan overclock or different hardware problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeckerdBR, 12 Jan 2012.

1. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

This is why these pre oc bundles are useless tbh

It can take DAYS of messing with a new system to find its sweet spot, not somthing you can expect to be done for you.

2. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Clock Interrupt not received = needs more vcore

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

3. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

4. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

For some reason my phone skipped the entire 2nd page

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

5. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Scan have a great reputation, I just think overclocking bundles are waste of time regardless of where they come from. It's something that requires days of soak testing to get it done right.

That said, anything over 1.4v on air is going to get really hot, too hot. Very sloppy, and I'd be asking for my money back.

6. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Thanks for the responses all.

I got another BSOD this morning with a different code (see error code below), this time while browsing the web, so I gave Scan a call.

They have said that the tech support team will send me an e-mail with some settings to change and if that fails the only option I have is to send it back again. I asked what they would do differently this time than last time and they said at this stage they could not comment.

I am a little disappointed to be honest, I would have thought after a second time they would have offered to replace the bundle. They also said if I mess with the settings outside of their instruction, then they won't cover me on the 3 year part warranty that they would otherwise honour. I pointed out that the Vcore and temperature issues under their own profile were likely to do damage to the CPU but they were having none of it. So apart from going back to the none OC profile, I won’t be changing the settings :/

I think if they can't fix my issue without resorting to such a bad vcore/temps I may well ask for either a refund, or for them to send me a replacement bundle before I send my faulty one back in. I doubt they will go for the latter but it would be nice to avoid down time yet again.

BSOD Error: *** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFF80002F6C6C0, 0X0000000000000008, 0XFFFFF800, 0X0000000000000000)

7. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Ok. Put it back to stock settings and run prime95 on a blend test. This stresses the entire system. If it passes 3 or 4 hours of that then you can be pretty much certain the hardware is good and it's the overclock that's to blame. Run things like Intel Burn Test and linpack at stock to be really sure. Download and run Memtest at stock also to make sure your RAM is good. It's not unknown to get a bsod on a bad overclock while the system is idle.

As long as you make sure you save the scan overclock profile they have no way of telling if you've been changing settings in the bios so they are talking complete rubbish.

If it passes stability tests at stock then start overclocking from there using the numbers I provided and the bit-tech guide I linked you too. Save your overclock to a new profile. If it does come to sending it back then just delete your overclock profile and load up the scan one prior to sending it back.

Let us know what happens and if you need help with the OC. I'll be happy to help where I can.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012
  8. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

A friend got the same bundle arrived yesterday, playing HL2 for ~20-30 mins CPU temps on all cores using coretemp were reporting at between 62 and 70 deg C with the clock at 4.4Ghz. Guessing its more to do with the small case he has and there only being 1 80mm fan in there (all that it can fit :/

Slightly more OT - Reduce the OC till you get stable temps would be what I'd do to be fair.

9. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

Well 4.7GHz is a 1GHz overclock since the stock 2500k already turbo's up to 3.7GHz.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I second what scott_chegg says,

They are talking utter rubbish. Are they saying if you update the bios (which is your right to do if you wish) the warranty is no longer valid?

Because if you do update the bios, wave bye bye to crappy scan OC profile.

11. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Apart from Turbo doesn't affect all 4 cores, whereas an overclock does? So 3.3GHz -> 4.3GHz is fine.

12. shaunster1011

shaunster1011 What's a Dremel?

It does but not all at 3.7

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012
  13. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

That's what I meant/implied.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I wouldn't send it back to Scan. I'd load defaults and test the hardware then overclock it yourself and put the extra cash you wasted by paying Scan to 'overclock' your hardware as a lesson learned.

Overclocking Sandybridge is possibly the easiest you'll ever do and there's plenty of people in this thread who'll help you out, me included. Forget Scan, they obviously don't want your repeat business.

And as for them saying that they won't honour the 3 year warranty if you change your settings, I'd tell the cheeky BSODS to go f**k themselves!!!! That's shocking.

15. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

That response about not honouring the warranty unless you run 1.45 volts through your cpu is quality.

What the **** is scan playing at.

16. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

If you go onto the scan site and spec an overlooked bundle the line item for the overlooking has 0 cost so has he paid for an overclock? Only he can find that out by looking at the individual cost of the components and comparing to the cost of the bundle.

17. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

I had to dump the Scan settings on my 2500K bundle, they were pretty bad. I can't remember the exact figures, but vcore was set well over 1.4v and CPU and chassis fans at constant maximum. Speedstep was disabled so it would run at 4.7GHz even at idle and a constant voltage.

With this all fixed and a vcore of about 1.375 (offset mode, so it drops to about 1v at idle) it runs completely stable at 4.8GHz and the fans barely spin up even at load, with CPU temp in the 20s C at idle and 60C or so at max load.

18. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Either way, largely irrelevant compared to their threat of voiding the warranty if the OP changes the settings to a SAFE level - safe being the salient point here. He's doing them a favour by clocking it back a bit!

19. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Great retailer... but clearly a bunch of chimps when it comes to OCing. You should post all this in the Scan forum. They should be ashamed, selling OCed rigs set up like this.

20. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Cheers for the help all, did some testing this past weekend.

Reverted to the non OC profile (provided by scan I assume, as it was labelled 3XS Standard instead of 3XS OC) and ran some test:

Prime 95 3 hours blend test was fine, max temp 52c.
    Intel Burn test, Ran from Standard all the way up to the extreme setting with no errors, max temp 54c.
    Memtest86, left on an overnighter (previously ran when i had 4 gig with no errors but had not tried since upgrading to 8) and it passed with no errors.

I think that's good evidence that it's a crap OC.

A few questions remain though.

1. Since I recorded temps of up to 89c via core temp when doing extended (at least 8 hours worth) stability testing under the OC profile with prime95, do you think there is a likelihood of damage to the CPU?

2. I realise the vcore issue is going to cause bad temperatures but I take it the Akasa Venom provided as part of the bundle is either a bad cooler or has been applied badly? I thought I read a bit-tech article that gave it an ok rating, while clearly not being the best.

3. On the subject of cost, you don’t directly pay a specific price for the OC part of the bundle but it is built into the overall cost. I think at the time (March of last year) it added about £30 to the total cost of my order. Scan also agreed to fit the bundle to the new case I had ordered along with the bundle. At the time I was happy, in that they would assemble it all for me, add it to the cause and provide a significant OC that was “guaranteed stable” and at a specific Rate (4.6GHz for the Radius bundle) and would be covered by them under warranty.

Given the choice again, I don’t think I would go for an OC bundle. The increase in game performance I have seen is minimal, mainly affecting load times (DOW retribution for example, Shogun 2) and slight FPS increase in Shogun 2 but nothing to write home about. Everything else has been hassle :/

And scan have still not sent the new OC setting they said they would...

Edit: Heh - just called them to chase these settings the build team are meant to be e-mailing me. First thing he said is: It's probably that there is not enough v-core, it might need to be turned up. I was like erm, it’s already at v1.44 and running at 89c, which I think is very hot, according to the research I have done. He said nahh, it ok as long it does not go much above 90c. I said but I am nearly at 90c now, what happens when the summer comes, and the room temperature goes up. He changed his tune and said not to worry unless it hits 95c, the chip is rated to take over that! He was adamant about it.
    I feel a complaint coming on :/

Last edited: 16 Jan 2012