1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Everything About Monitors - Guide

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 19 Oct 2011.

1. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

what is replacing the LG IPS231P-BN or is it just out of stock in most places?

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't see any replacement models for this monitor. It's either low stock, or stop production.

3. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Question for you GB;

Given that the U2410 is starting to get harder to source, and it's supposedly being 'replaced' by the U2412M *, is there a monitor that would replace the U2410 at the top of your recommendations?

Also, where would the U2412M fit into it? Cheapest I can find it is £235, but the cynic in me thinks that Dell may be using the U2410's reputation to boost its price up to slightly more than it's worth.

*All lies! You can't replace a £400 monitor with a £250 one :lol:

Edit: I guess it's not that hard to source really.. I just wanted to get one for under the odds and ended up seeing loads of dodgy sites offering it cheap :p After some digging I've found that Amazon have it for £335 though!

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012
  4. GoodBytes

That is correct.
    The U2410 USED to be thought to be canceled with the arrival of the U2412HM. But once the U2412HM, we saw it was much lower end monitor, I was very sad, but Dell confirmed that the U2410 will be sold.

The U2410 is a much better monitor thought as you can see in term of visuals, build quality, and features. Now it's not to say that the U2412HM is crap.. it's pretty good as well. But the U2410 is much better all around.

If you can get the U2410, get it. You won't be disappointing.

5. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Arg, decided I would sleep on it and decide today whether or not to get the U2410. Now the Amazon price has gone up to £392 :(

6. youngscarface

youngscarface What's a Dremel?

I have a different problem. I currently have a u3011. Love it. I'm building a second rig. I'm trying to decide betw a u2410 and a u2711. (Another u3011 is out of budget.) I may be bias toward the u2711 b/c of the resolution. But the price is a bit steep specially for web browsing, gaming. Would a u2410 be little let down coming from a u3011?

7. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

From what I've read the panel in the U2711 is very similar to the U2410 (as in 8-bit with 10-bit A-FRC), but both are a step down from the U3011, which is a true 10-bit panel. However, as you're only using it for web browsing/gaming and won't be using a 10-bit workload, this shouldn't matter at all. Ultimately, I think you should ask whether or not you need the extra resolution - in particular, would the graphics card in the new rig struggle gaming at the higher resolution?

8. youngscarface

youngscarface What's a Dremel?

I have a gtx 580 without display port in rig #1. I'm waiting for the new nvidia card to come out and make sure I get one with display port so I can use it on the u3011 and take advantage of the 10 bit. Even though I don't have any software that support it for now; I"d add one more item in the chain to true 10 bit nirvana:D. Now my old gtx 580 would power up rig #2. It would run the u2410 or the u2711 very well. ( Btw I pre-order Bf3 two months before launch. Never played it. Bfbc2 took 1.5 year out of my life.:lol:)
    The reason why I'm building rig#2 is b/c Junior and Mrs. have a grip on #1.

Back on topic, I feel the display is the best part of any rig. The u2410 is all I need.
    Even LG ips231p, u2412m is more than enough. I don't need the extra res. But I want the u2711.

9. DanSonley

DanSonley What's a Dremel?

nice. this is a really useful document :3

10. DanFerret

DanFerret What's a Dremel?

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Looks like a good deal but it is only 22".

12. DanFerret

Yeh thats whats holding me back a bit. Would prefer a 24".

13. praetor coda

praetor coda What's a Dremel?

Treo Screens

This is awesome info on monitors, speaking of which, can anyone guide me towards information of palm treo cell phone screen pinouts? I have a slew of old palm treo’s (with cameras) my IT dept were going to throw out (60 in all), which I salvaged, is it possible to hack the screens for fun things like a second (mini) monitor for a modded pc case, while still utilizing the touch screen feature? Camera, to screen and flash memory storage, etc.? rpobably using PIC, ATtiny, MSP430 MCU's? I know mini screens are readily available to purchase...but did I mention I wanna have some fun with what I have? Thanks.:dremel::naughty:

14. GoodBytes

Hmm.. You are a bit off topic here, my good man.
    You'll get a lot more help, if you ask your question in a separate thread. :)

15. praetor coda

praetor coda What's a Dremel?

Ah, I see...been awhile since I've been on here; thanks for the reply and not helping, same expended effort just posting a suggested link to post onto, my good man.

16. DanFerret

I want to buy a 24" monitor. I want to spend less than £150.

What would people recommend?

17. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You'd be better off posting your question in its own thread in the hardware section. You'll get way more responses that way :) And you're not going to get an IPS panel at that size in that budget. I've heard good things about certain Hanns G monitors so they might be worth a look :)

18. DanFerret

Ahh ok I will make a thread. Thanks mate.

19. jls25

jls25 CatfishSoup

i have used Eizo monitors before for editing. though they are above 1000 bucks if i am not mistaken. wonderful color calibration and color count but the price is insane. I used the coloredge 222cw i believe its called.

20. Reg216uk

Reg216uk Minimodder

Good guide.

If your a gamer like me you really will want the higher frame rate over the better contrast / resolution monitors...this is to say your system can manage above 60FPS any how.

Whenever I play games at 60hz the movement with the mouse seems alot slower and is very irritating. When i play on my new 120hz 3d screen its much quicker and alot smoother with the v-sync on. This really does help when playing fast FPS games like Counter-strike etc.

I know there is this thing people mention about your eyes can only see something like 60fps or blah blah blah....well I know that but the difference of 60hz - 120hz is a huge for me with the feel and movement.

Sorry for my bad explanation i struggle to explain things sometimes haha.

If your a gamer that wants to take it very seriously get a 120hz monitor over the better picture of an IPS.