1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Gigabyte z68ap d3 rev1.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arednel, 14 Jan 2012.

1. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

I made the mistake on Thursday night of enabling the Quick Boot software which comes with this board and now I can't boot. I've tried resetting CMOS via the jumpers and the battery (left it out overnight as that's what I read on the Gigabyte forums) I tried removing my graphics card and running it via the onboard HDMI.

I'm at my wits end. I've tried taking my RAM out and cycling it's sockets. The CPU heat sink is still seated fine. Just using the stock one right now and the pins are still through.

And advice on how I can reset my bios to actually get into windows at least. The only playing in the BIOS I'd done was to put my RAM at 1600MHz.

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

So you can get into BIOS but when you exit it the PC just hangs?

3. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

No I can't. When I try and enter bios it shuts down. Keyboard in different USB ports doesn't seem to be getting power (no lights and tapping DEL does nothing) the cycle is:

A) turn off without even getting to spash screen.

B) turn off on splash screen when I don't (can't) go into the Bios.

Repeat over and over :(

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Try updating the BIOS, there are option to clear everything.
    If that doesn't work: sounds like you had a manufacture error :/

5. longweight

Are you using the standard CPU cooler?

6. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

I had the battery out the board overnight but it still won't let me go in the bios :(

Yes using the intel stock cooler. I have a dark rock cooler but I didn't want to put it on incase I had to take the whole thing apart.

I cant understand how using the Quick Boot from the motherboard CD could break it this much :(

7. longweight

What happens if you remove the HDD?

8. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

The same :-/ I can try again tomorrow. I'm not at home right now.

9. GoodBytes

Lesson #1, never use the CD, for any computer hardware. Always get the latest stuff from their website.

I have it setup in my case, and I have no problem. (Then again, I haven't notice any quicker boot).. or maybe I don't know how to use it.

Last edited: 14 Jan 2012
  10. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

I checked for updates to the software. I more meant the Gigabyte packaged items then cd specific version. I knew I'd manage to break something at some point.

11. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

Not a great video of what's happening, for some reason my phone didn't rotate so it looks really bad but its just a quick video. I'm going to leave the motherboard battery out until I come home from work tomorrow and see if its managed to reset the BIOS.

http://youtu.be/okBYpeTEiUs

If not I'll ring Scan, see if they think its MB or RAM problem and if I should RMA *sigh*

12. GoodBytes

Hold your phone HORIZONTALLY.
    Thanks.

Ok, on the instruction manual of your motherboard check out page 25, at the bottom, it explains how to reset the CMOS (where your BIOS settings are stored).
    It shows where the jumper is on the motherboard.

What is interesting is that the manual doesn't explicitly say that your system support single channel memory (mine (also Gigabyte) does). In your case you need 2 stick of RAM. Be sure they are perfectly well fitted.
    You want your stick of RAM in: DDR3_2 and DDR3_1 OR DDR3_4 and DDR3_3 (try both).
    More information and diagram on page 16.

Try switching the RAM between slots, example: reverse DDR3_2 and DDR3_1 to DDR3_1 and DDR3_2

Instruction manual can found here:
    http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z68ap-d3_e.pdf

Other stuff to check:
    If you have a modular PSU, ensure that the power plug are very well inserted on the PSU unit (happen to me). That the ATX plug on the board is well connected, and the 24pin is also well connected on the motherboard. Press the plug to make sure that it's 100% in.

Also make sure that your GPU PCI-E power plug is well connected as well.

13. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

I've tried to get youtube to rotate the video, its taking its time, I did hold my phone horizontally but it is what it is.

I had two sticks in but I was testing to see if I had RAM issues. The same boot problem happens no matter if it's one stick or two and which slots they are in (although I did have them in the recommended two slots from the manual). The build has been running fine since about the 22nd of December.

I've tried using the CMOS jumper with a screwdriver (and a chemistry spatula as I have plenty lying around and find them easier to get in small places) numerous times as well as leaving the MB battery out which I found recommended more on the Gigabyte forums.

I'll check my PSU but the monitor is getting a splash screen every other boot up which is when it then cuts out.

I reseated my GPU as I did try it without using my TV and HDMI connection trying to force it to realise the hardware had changed and let me change the BIOS but it didn't work.

14. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

I got some new RAM today and tried that but I'm still getting the same problem :( I've checked all the power connectors. The thing that's confusing me is that the USB keyboard has no lights showing so I can't even get in the bios when the option does appear for a few seconds.

All fans spin, looks like I'm phoning Scan tomorrow to RMA it :(

15. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

id try a complete disconnect, power out of the mobo, hdds, even take out the cpu, then re-build from scratch, youd be suprised how many issues seem to go away by trying this.
    better to try everything before going thru RMA process.

do you have a hdd with a different install on it ?
    thinking if quickboot has messed something up IN THEORY a different install should boot ( or at least get you to bios )

16. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

The only other HDD I have with with a windows install on is from my laptop. I could try that. I hadn't wanted to take the CPU out as the heatsink fan was spinning fine which I thought indicated no CPU problem.

17. Arednel

Arednel What's a Dremel?

Sorry to dig up an old thread (at least it's mine).

Scan RMA'd the board (and my PSU in case there was a problem there as I didn't have a spare to test it) and will be sending me a replacement.

Do you guys suggest I perform a clean install of windows? obviously I'd like to boot it up first and move my three main games off my SSD onto my secondary HD (BF3, SWTOR and LoL) but I guess I could just do it straight away if this is better, also I now have 16Gb of RAM instead of 8Gb. 2 sticks are LP and 2 full sized but all are Vengence 1600mHz I'm ok to just put them in any of the four slots (was going to put the two LP side by side next to my Dark Rock cooler for the clearance).

Thanks for any advice, a desktop is a whole new monster to me, I've only dealt with laptops in the past so never had to go through a motherboard replacement.