1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Wars - The Old Republic Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Fizzban, 24 Sep 2011.

1. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I get the feeling that I should go Republic instead of Empire... :wallbash:

With the new PvP announcements, the queues for Empire are only going to get worse with a level 50 only bracket been added, and also I love Huttball, but playing it 90% of the time, it really starts to get boring.

I want to try Republic for faster queue times, but I can't bring myself to play the goodie goodie type of character. I don't want to fall in with the "cool" kids and there dark Jedi either.

I loved playing the Juggernaut in EGA, but after seeing every other person is one, I just couldn't feel unique anymore. When I went Agent, I was normally the only one in a warzone, or atleast only 1 of maybe 2 or 3, even then alot of them are Snipers whereas I play an Operative healer/dps hybird.

I'd also feel bad for rerolling on my guild. :( Why does life have to be so hard, even when it's only some pixels, it's still hard! :(

2. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Changes to PVP? mind elaborating?

3. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

4. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Anyone on Niman btw?

5. el2k

el2k Modder

Anyone else feeling let down at lvl 50 with lack on content? I mean, I ran out of things to do within two weeks of being 50... >.<

6. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

Just wait. I'm not 50 yet but there is still a long road in this game.... don't get me wrong, i want my cake.....Im just happy to wait till its cooked perfectly before i ice it and give it to my friends.

:hip:

7. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

I have a question, as I am tempted to buy this, does a one month free come as part of buying the game? Only reason I ask is that if I find that I dont play it or can't get into it I will be selling on/giving away my account. I know thats against TOS but I will simply register with a new email if I choose to no longer play.

It's down to funds etc. How much is it per month?

8. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Yes, you get 1 month free with the purchase of the game.

The cost per month varies on whether or not you buy in bulk.

1 Month - £9
    3 Months - £25
    6 Months - £46

You can also buy time cards which are for 60 days, they currently cost around £18.

9. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Ok well i may be buying it in the next week or so, depends on having the time to play. I have a bunch of other games and stuff to do lol

10. Ljs

Ljs Modder

They have just announced new content and there are going to be PvP changes too...

I personally haven't got to 50 yet mostly for this reason, and have been spreading my time of several characters.

I still haven't found one I'm particularly comfortable with either yet.

11. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

There's content there - equivalent to what WoW had upon release tbh. I'm finding it rather annoying that due to a 7 year old (8..) game, people expect 10 raids and 20 dungeons upon release, the game is huge and if you haven't rolled a jedi/sith plus a smugg/IA or troop/BH alongside that 50 then you're still missing out.

New raid and flashpoints coming in next patch anyway plus PvP changes as detailed above.

12. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

There's also the problem that SWToR is a 2011/12 game, whereas WoW was a 2004 game which had basically no competition at the time.

When going up against WoW, SWToR should of known they need to really pull something out of the bag, but the fact they haven't makes playing it quite pointless to be honest. They should of seen what happen to most other MMOs that tired to use the traditional MMO model, all of them failed quite badly, only Rift really still stands and even then the player base is less than 1million.

SWToR may have the same amount of end game that WoW did, when it came out, but really they needed more, it's no use bringing out a game in 2012 that is at the same level as a game of 2004.

Also the the whole levelling time, is horrible, it's not like you don't get enough exp for quests, quests are fine with more than enough exp, it's just the ungodly amount of pointless running you have to do. I spent a good part of an hour on one quest running back and forth to NPC's, then at each of them listening to them talk for 2-5mins to be told to go see someone else, each time receiving no exp or reward, until I actually had talked to the last guy.

SWToR seems to have left out of lot of basic MMO functions aswell, like a LFG tool, they say it's to help build community, but they forget it's not fun to stand in the hub city spamming /1 for a group for over an hour, it's not like I can leave the city and go quest while I look since then I'm not in the channel. I'd rather tick the box, press a button, and sit in a queue for 5-20mins whilst I am still able to do something else.

I've played through my story now, and I've cancelled my sub for now. It's not worth paying a monthly fee for, when it's behind the curve in what's needed for an MMO. Maybe in a few months we'll see some changes for the better, but everyone I know has gone back to playing what they were before, since it's one of the biggest let downs in my opinion.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

There's 8 dif story's dout you have played them all yet

14. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I'm not going to pay a monthly fee to play a single player game am I now. :duh:

Since your story is single player.

15. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

That's something which worries me about the longevity of SWTOR. It seems from what i've read that all the stories are essentially played out as if you're the only character in the game and you'll 'win' planets for whichever faction you picked to play which means there's no overarching story that everyone is taking part in. How can you have a proper conflict when both sides 'win' due to the story being written and played as if it were a single player game?

16. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

From my experience my Sith Sorcerer was hardly on Balmorra to fight the resistance. Doing the general quests that everyone participated in is what "contributed" to any Victory the empire would have on the planet but it was my choice to assist in that effort. Also once you complete those quests to include the bonus total victory is never claimed, rather the Moffs and Darths on the Empire side stress that we are close to victory. Same with the rest of the planets. Personal Story takes you there, but the hub quests contain a seperate story that everyone technicially participates in (Heroics included).

To each their own, but your reason seems rather short sighted. Because SWTOR lacked the content of WoW Vanilla + Years of Massive Updates + 2 Expansions it should never have been released? With any game, especially an MMO, there comes a time when you have to release. No MMO to my knowledge has ever launched with the kind of content you expected out of SWTOR from day one. Rather, it was slowly patched in with time and development. SWTOR would have ended up in development hell trying to match WoW's content on day one.

Last edited: 16 Jan 2012
  17. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Why would any business launch a massive MMO to the scale of WoW ?

The amount it costs to fund that kind of operation would be staggering, especially if you don't know if your game will be a success or not.

Instead you would have the systems in place ready to be launched as you see your product having the means to support it, hence why there is a new dungeon and new content coming to TOR this week.

As for game play its pretty good, it has a solid single player story while at the same time making you focus on grouping.

I never ever group in WoW to level, I certainly do in star wars.

I've played WoW to the ninth degree, completing all expansions except the latest, gladiator across multipe toons in multiple seasons and grand Marshall on two toons in vanilla and I can say TOR has the potential to be just as good

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e using Tapatalk

18. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I never said it needed the same amount of content at launch as WoW does now. That's what people are whining about who have played WoW for 7 years, and now wanted to try SWToR.
    They want to raid, but SWToR doesn't offer much, the current raid is getting pushed through pretty fast, hence why people wanted more, yes I know there is some new stuff coming this week, but we can only wait and see how fast they push out new content.

WoW was very slow on new content, Rift was extremely quick on it, SWToR needs to be near Rifts speed in my opinion and not near Blizzards if it wants to survive.

With SWToR budget, everyone expected alot more. SWToR won't ever get WoWs success, no MMO ever will again. The major problem was SWToR introduced nothing new at all, the voice overs are nice and all, but become annoying, you don't really want to sit through 2mins of conversation to be told to go collect 5 of this, or kill 10 of that.

19. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Spacebar my friend. Every now and them I sit and listen, mainly in the stoyrline missions, but everything else I spacebar through.

I agree, it was nice early on that they did that, but by Nar Shadaa I just wanted to get through the missions. I agree, SWTor is not perfect by any means, there is a lot to improve on and Bioware so far seems to be making the effort to do that and keep everyone happy (Level 50 content first large patch). Every player has a different playstyle and hopefully Bioware will be able to get all parties happy, for me, when I hit 50, I plan on playing my Imperial Agent until enough content is available. The stoyrlines for me, are interesting enough to see others, only downside is playing through all the quest hub areas again for exp.

20. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I did space bar everyone bar my story line quests, I'm playing an Agent, which has the best story I've been playing through, out of Sith warrior, smuggler, knight. Just the story stops, and then what, I'm just grinding for gear in PvP but it's just RNG from the bags. Getting addressed next patch, but the combat delay isn't which makes PvP very clunky, it doesn't have the smoothness WoW has to the combat, which is why I'm finding it very hard to re-sub after my 30days is up.

It's a good game, but it's just not where I expected it to be, it feels behind, and Bioware have already said they won't add LFG tool and cross server PvP, because they ruined community.

I'd play through more of the other classes stories, but I can't justify paying £8.99 a month to play a single player game, since that's what I'd really be doing if I wanted to just see the stories.

I think they should of gone more like ME and less like WoW, but players seem to be afaird of change, and Bioware saw it and just made it the same as WoW.