1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Your thoughts on idea for making extra long SLI bridge

Discussion in 'Modding' started by The_Crapman, 13 Jan 2012.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm planning a build with a 3-way SLI setup, but want to display the cards at an angle to see the waterblock of each one. Based on the cards I'm using set at a 30degree angle, there will be 70mm between each one, meaning 140 mm between the first and last card and with it going diagonally, and accounting for having to twist the connectors slightly, it would need to be 160mm at least.

I had an idea that i could connect 2 flexible bridges by removing the socket from the end of one and place it over the top of another, which would also involve some painfully small and accurate soldering.

do you think this would work or does anyone have any other suggestions?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Jan 2012
  2. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

You could just try making a custom cable with connectors from SLI bridges and ribbon cable.
    It will be a pain to make and if you mess up you may end up frying your cards, or it may just not work.
    If you do choose to make a custom cable you should find someone skilled in electronics to triple-check the connections, before connecting.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@Crapman - I think your idea is the best bet. There might be signal latency issues, etc.
    -I'm no expert, and you are stepping into unknown territory, so double check the connections with a normal triple bridge.

:worried: And be prepared to fry something. You might want 3 cheap SLI cards to test first.

4. The_Crapman

very very good point. although i'm not too sure how many 'cheap' cards can do 3-way SLI. lol

5. The_Crapman

thanks inzane. i know an electrical engineer who i'm sure will be able to test the connection and compare it with a standard bridge. i'm sure i could even persuade him to make it for me with some sort of alcohol based payment.

6. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

If you succeed, be sure to document it.

7. The_Crapman

it'll be a while yet, i'm still in the design phase and actually saving for the rig. will be sure to let you all know.

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: Whatever you do, don't pay him in advance!

9. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

As an Electronics Engineer, I would agree with Cheaps about signal timing. There may be a reason SLI cards traditional are only 'so far' apart. I wonder what and oscilloscope would show. I can't find any official timing specs.

10. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Why don't you ask nVidia? They probably tested long SLI bridges so they can tell you more about it.

Use hot air solderer and you will be fine.

11. The_Crapman

i emailed them a few weeks back and they just said that they could not guarentee it would work and I should only use approved bridges. Not a great deal of help.

12. The_Crapman

I would have thought that's more to do with the standardised layout and dimensions of motherboards than any kind of signal loss. I've never heard of any issues with people using slots 1 and 3 instead of 1 and 2 due to large coolers or for optimum bandwidth.

13. Iam23

Iam23 What's a Dremel?

Have you found any solution for this yet? I had been thinking about the same thing over the past few days and this seemed like one of the bigger hurdles. It's such a shame to put all that work into cool water cooling blocks for the GPU's and never get to see them!

One thing I just thought of is lurking on some extreme overclocking forums. The guys that do liquid nitrogen and the like need to have their cards in different orientations, and I'm willing to bet some of them have wanted to do 2/3/4-way SLI before, and had to solve this issue, too.

14. The_Crapman

no the 3 way sli build got put on the back burner due to cost and a lack of funds. found something cheaper to do. lol
    If you find anything be sure to let me know though!

15. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Why not build it from recycled connectors with pretty braiding added as well ?

LOL

Evil dunx

P.S. Nvidia would say use a standard item, they don't want you to sue them....

The_Crapman likes this.
  16. Reconnec7ed

Reconnec7ed What's a Dremel?

I would suggest a PCB based solution.

Get in touch with a a PCB printing/ electronics company such as Newbury electronics and see if they can recommend a solution.
    I know you can buy ridgesd PCB sli bridges so I see no reason why you can't make a longer version.

Only issue I would see is getting the connectors to bend to an angle if that's how your cards would sit. Something to build on.....

17. The_Crapman

Brilliant idea mate! Would never have thought of that.

I had considered taking the connectors of a standard one and using an old ide cable to connect them up, but with 26 connections to solder and keep seperate, i don't think there's enough room there for all the wires it would need and some medium to keep all the connections seperate.

P.s. Just how evil are you? Here at Mutant Zombie Armies Inc we're always on the lookout for talented evil folk to join our organisation. However, we're only really semi evil. We've no plans for world domination as that's just far too much hassle, we don't want to destroy mankind, just chavs, boybands and katie price. So if you're the kind of personal that laughs when macauly culkin is stung to death in my girl, cheers when bambi's mum gets shot and thinks that star wars should have ended after the second film, you might just be the right kind of guy. The preliminary test is as follows:

1) How many star wars films are there?

2) Kirk or picard?

3) Would you have any grey poupon?

18. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

In answer to your questions,
    Sorry for the hijack btw
    Kirk
    Hell no, I'd use colmans English

19. The_Crapman

Sorry, you only got 1/3 :(

20. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

There were three films, as in tri-SLI...

My MoBo came with a three way SLI PCB but it is only a two slot item... no fancy angles.

dunx

P.S. Bambi's mum was rather tasty, with a nice bottle of cidre...