1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Phone Upgrade time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gilljoy, 18 Jan 2012.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Hey all,

I'm able to upgrade my phone at the end of this month byt doing the 3 month early dealio that orange let you do if your with them.

Currently got an iphone 4 32gb atm which I love but I'd like abit of a change + I can get an ipod touch to get the same experience from my iphone etc bar the calls.

So looking at getting a new smart phone. Looking something with a decent camera, nice screen so I can watch some tv shows / movies on comutes to work. And most importantly decent browsing and app selection.

Also anything that has that hackable factor would be nice too.

I'm on orange so it would have to be a phone that's on there network / what carphone warehouse / phones4u have since I think I can do an upgrade threw them.

Any recommendations?

2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Galaxy SII.

/Fred

3. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Considering that, similar specs to the galaxy nexus isnt it?

4. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

If you have another three months 'til the end of your contract, and this is an early upgrade deal, I'd wait for the end of your contract. Quad core phones on the horizon.

5. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Ahh didn't know that, take it that it could be the sequel to the galaxy s2 etc?

Not sure if i'd really need a quad core phone thought tbh

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Do a search for information on the Galaxy S3. There are a few places that have collected all the bits that are known and possible rumours.

Things, like 4.6" FOLED screen leading to speculation about whether the phone might be curved or not, Android 4 (pretty much a given), 32GB storage, quad core CPU running at 1.8GHz. Should be a beast.

7. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

galaxy s2

or wait for galaxy s3

8. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

yea I think I'll hold off until I can hear about the S3, theres a big conference at the end of Feb from what I'm reading. So probably the best to wait until then.

If not I'll probably just get the galaxy S2.

9. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

at first i was upset i hadn't waited for the s3, and then i though, what could they possibly add.

it has just occurred to me that a quad core cpu is an obvious upgrade. but other than that, not much. the s2 is already really fast and has a great screen. Any bigger and it wont be portable enough, already has a great battery life etc

it really makes me wonder where we will be at in 10 years time. 16 core cpus, in mobiles..? lol who knows

10. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

No love for the Galaxy Nexus then? I'm in a similar position to the original poster (my contract is up next month) and was looking at the Nexus rather than the S2. The main draw for me was having an OS that's not been messed about with by the manufacturer. I've heard mixed reports of the early versions of ICS for the S2 and the TouchWiz interface getting in the way. It's still a beta version though so there's time for it to improve.

The screen on the Nexus was another plus for it but I'm intrigued as to what people think is better about the S2 over the Nexus?

11. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Nexus tempts me as well, love the curved display on it.

Think the main drawback on the Nexus is currently on 16gb with no expandable storage with generally the same specs as a the s2 from what i've read

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

There are some very decent deals on the S2 around now.

The S3 will no doubt be a pricey phone when it comes out, or on pricey contracts anyway.

Get a unlocked/unbranded S2 and dont look back :)

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I'm the same as well I can upgrade at the end of the month, so considering my providers lack of choice I will be getting the Galaxy S2 with 1000 minutes and unlimited text's, with 1gb of data for £11 a month I really enjoy working for my provider lol.

If I could get the Sensation XE from my provider though I would have that over the Galaxy S2 any day because of the Beat's Audio thing, as I listen to allot of music on my phone.

14. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

my s2 is on t mobile. it seems to not have any parts of the os changed

in contrast, my dad's s2 from orange is TOTALLY different. srs it sucks. dont go orange if you get an s2. or any phone for that matter. they completely screwed around with my samsung tocco as well. awful.

15. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

i would get a nokia 3210 just for snake alone

16. krunedog2

krunedog2 What's a Dremel?

Got S2 last week end and very happy, but equally the wife has the HTC sensation XE and it is equally as good!

got mine from tesco phone shop, t mobile, £20 pm and free phone with T-mobile, 300 tx, 300mins and unlimited net browsing so think I got a good deal

O and £35 cashback with quidco!!

17. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

So I'm now able to do an early upgrade with orange.

Shame they have no phones I like at all. Anyone know will I be able to upgrade in CPW or Phones 4 u?

Really tempted to get the nexus or something similar but dont really fancy a galaxy s2