1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 8800GT Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Rob2109, 19 Jan 2012.

1. Rob2109

Rob2109 What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, my card has recently developed problems that I have never come across before.

During boot there are what I can only describe as artifacts on screen. Windows nearly starts up, I get one beep and the screen goes blank.

The card has worked fine for several years, I've used a spare card in the same PCI-E slot and that works okay and the rest of my PC seems to be okay.

I had a good clean out yesterday as I figured it may be due to overheating and with good airflow I'm still getting the same happening.

I was thinking of replacing the stock coolers on the graphics card and dust the card at the same time to see if that helped but would appreciate any advice.

2. moorsey

moorsey What's a Dremel?

a good air dusting will work wonders, deffo give that a try

Have you confirmed that the fan is actually spinning on the card?

3. Rob2109

Rob2109 What's a Dremel?

Hi Moorsey, thanks for the reply.

That's a good point about the fan on the card, I'll take the card to bits and give it a good air dust first though. I'll do a good clean out over the weekend and hopefully that'll sort it.

4. CyCoLeS

CyCoLeS If it ain't broke...give it to me

5. Deders

Deders Modder

I think cooking it would be best for situations where the solder has gone bad and needs to melt back into place. Usually the card won't output anything by this point.

6. moorsey

moorsey What's a Dremel?

7. Rob2109

Rob2109 What's a Dremel?

Well after a good clean out, my 8800 is still artifacting. The fan is running okay and the airflow in the case is as good as it can be. Besides sticking it in with my Sunday roast, does anyone have any other ideas?

8. Deders

Deders Modder

What temps are you getting?

9. Rob2109

Rob2109 What's a Dremel?

I'll test all the temps when I get the chance, I've just got the one pc so it's a case of swapping the cards back and forth.