1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning first time modding, some advices?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Black_Mummy_DK, 15 Jan 2012.

1. Black_Mummy_DK

Black_Mummy_DK What's a Dremel?

Hey Bit-tech!

For a period i have been considering of either modding, or building a scratch case and right now i'm planning a scratch case. Anyways, it will be my very first casemod, and i may be giving myself a too large challenge, but what the hell..:p i'll go for it!

But i need some advice.

To build a kinda simple casemod, which tools should i have? i am going to be cutting out peaces in a green acryllic window.. thinking this: http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop...-3mm-Acrylic-Sheet--Green-Tint-pid-14056.html

And to do this, i need at tool that won't make it melt. Should i just get a dremel for this, and cut it out? if yes, is there anything i should do to not make it melt?

Becides acryllic, i will be working with some pretty thick peaces of aluminium, and maybe steel, still, should i just be using a dremel for cutting out in it? becides all this, i just need some advice for some first time modding anything i should be prepared for? :)

in advance, thank you.

2. inzane86

inzane86 engineer with an axe

For making rough cuts in acrylic I personally like the jig saw, and then use files and/or sandpaper to fine tune the shape. Metal cutting jig saw blades have given me decent cuts with polycarbonate. Later use fine sandpaper and flame-polishing to get a really nice glossy edge, if needed.

When it comes to cutting metal, I prefer the angle grinder, the dremel is good for fine(er) cutting.
    On the cheap side, Hacksaw and nibblers are great.

How thick is pretty thick ?

A few tips from my personal experience:
    Have a plan/schematic of your build.
    Have patience. Better if you have a lot of it.
    Wear your safety gear.
    Have fun.

3. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

Yeh used a dremel for all my work due to budget only allowing one tool lol! For the acrylic use a jig saw with wood cutting blades there is a rally good thread in here that'll give you tips on working with plastics a must read for any modder. Dreel managed fine with 2mm alu but it took a while hope that helps alittle.

4. Black_Mummy_DK

okay, thank you.. this will help alot when i get started :p
    And "pretty thick" is about 5 mm thick.

okay, so i actually need a bunch of tools.. good i have my granddad.. he own's a car shop, and have some contacts so that i can get tools quite cheap :D

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I use a rotozip router with a dremel 1/8" drill bit for odd shaped cuts. this can also be done with a dremel.
    For long straight cuts I LOVE using wet-cut tile saws. No melting or chipping, and they can cut really thick stuff. I've cut 1 1/2 inch thick material with one.

6. Ruairi

Ruairi What's a Dremel?

As mentioned before a jigsaw is really a must if building a scratch case, you can get one cheaper than a dremel. A dremel is a handy tool it's a jack of all trades but master of none. A cordless drill or drill press is also pretty vital.

For building a scratch case here is a list of handy tools.

Jigsaw - Get a half decent one my one a ryobi.
    Cordless Drill/Drillpress - I have a bosch 12v drill and a toolmaster drillpress
    Set of files - any metal set is good
    Sand paper of various grades.
    Rivet gun

Optional
    Tap and die set, if using screws rather than rivets
    Dremel - I actually dont own one, I sometimes borrow my friends. Good for making tight cuts and cleaning up cuts quickly.

7. Black_Mummy_DK

#5 and #6 i will deffinently be using your advices! more tools written on my shopping list :p

8. Conica

Conica What's a Dremel?

+1 for the wet cut tile saws, I use mine for all sorts of odd jobs in soft materials, works a treat! :thumb:

9. Black_Mummy_DK

#8 okay :thumb:

okay then, i'm starting to put some ideas together now, and even though i suck at drawing both on PC and IRL, i'll give it a go on the pc... but which program should i use?? :)

10. Conica

Conica What's a Dremel?

Google Sketchup is a free program that lets you do 2D Drawings and 3D Models, Loads of people use it so there is alot of support for the program and best of all, It's easy to learn and use.

Go have a look :)

Don't forget though, Even if you just start sketching things on paper it means your ideas are recorded to remind yourself of any good ones you may have later :thumb:

11. Black_Mummy_DK

ok :) will check that out! thank you!:thumb: