1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD Radeon HD 7950 specs leak

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Jan 2012.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Looking at the 7950 3DM11 leaks it seems it does compete directly with the 580.

Thing is, if it is indeed 3gb it then competes with the 3gb 580 which costs the same as the 7950.

Time to drop your prices, Nvidia...

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'd wait for Nvidia's 28nm efforts for two reasons:
    1) They may be just as good or better (or maybe not, we just don't know yet).
    2) Their release will probably bring the price of AMD's new cards down a bit. You're paying a premium for 28nm at the moment.

3. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

I've got a and 4800 series card. Im tired of waiting for new releases, I think im just going to pick up a 6950 now, and crab another later this year.

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

The release schedule has now slowed down to about 12-18 months between generations, so you can time your upgrades nowadays. It's nothing like the 90s where your hardware was obsolete within three months. You might as well wait since AMD is rolling out the rest of the 7000 series between now and March/April.

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am waiting for the new Nvidia card's before I make my choice for the simple fact that until then I just don't know which will be better.

Price doesn't bother me as I always just buy 1 or 2 of the best performing card's at the time, got 2 GTX280's and watercooled them about 2 month's after release then got a single GTX 480, then I got 2 GTX 580's.

I have tried ATI card's and can never get the same performance without suffering from driver issues, so stick to Nvidia but if the new Nvidia card's are poor performers then I will be making the switch back to ATI for now.

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

I wish people would stop with the ATI/AMD driver bashing. shall we take a look at nivida ?

BF3 since launch has bad even unplayable artifacting on some nvidia cards and oh look we are several months down the line and its still not fixed !!!! It not just AMD who are slow to do things.

Personally my experience with my 4870 has been brilliant. Ive had no issues at all except a minor one in BF3 when it first came out and a green screen for a split millisecond during play. funnily enough AMD released a driver update quite quickly and the problem went away.

Grimloon likes this.
  7. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

This in spades, much the same as what I was thinking but more politely put. The last time I had driver issues with an AMD/ATI card it was an X800 Pro when they were new so just a little while ago. They are pretty much equal nowadays with "new, optimised for x" driver pretty much guaranteed to either not work as described or break something else, irrespective of whether or not the software is produced by the red or green camp.

I'll probably grab one of these if the performance hike over the 5850 justifies an upgrade, the price is within reason and it doesn't go mad on the power usage.

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Got to agree with you two on this. Almost every time I see people complaining of driver issues they are running Nvidia cards. And the only driver problems I've ever had have been with Nvidia. I have never had an AMD driver cripple my pc, and nor have I ever had to roll back to a previous version. I see people on Nvidia frequently complaining they need to roll back..or "what driver are you using that is stable?". lol

I agree that perhaps when you compare working/stable drivers from both sides, the Nvidia ones are a bit better, but I would rather have stress free updating/gaming and just drop my AA to x4 with AMD.

I know this will likely provoke a frothing-fanboy, but whatever.

9. trig

trig god's little mistake

my 2 cents...

if nvidia were dropping it's next gen within a few weeks, then sure, not waiting would be stupid. however, playing the waiting game is idiotic in general...there is always something around the corner and rumors will always over-hype the product specs, performance and release date...unless there are relatively confirmed release dates from reputable sites/nvidia themselves (which there are not and based on what i know of how these things progress, nvidia doesn't even have a working sample yet...which means no release for the general public for a good 2-4 months) you would have to be a fanboy to wait/recommend waiting. if there is a card out now that plays what you want to play at the best settings your monitor can handle, then get it...

drivers...i had problems with the x800's too, then had issues with 8800....then the 3870's...not all, just some...

they all have their moments...heck, my 570 has gone bat-sh!t crazy since updating to the latest whql drivers...

Last edited: 23 Jan 2012
  10. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Fudzilla has lauch price at $450, compare this to the 5850 which was $259 at launch. Ouch!

Clearly AMD don't have many of these, as almost doubling the price of your new graphics cards in the middle of a financial crisis isn't going to get you many sales.

11. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

TechPowerUP have reported that 28nm processes at both TSMC and Global Foundries are having serious yield problems, although TSMC appear to be in a worse position than GF. With lots of non-working wafers, I won't be surprised if we don't see many price drops in pre-existing product lines for a few months.

12. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

Just got my GTX 560ti last year, I think there will probably be some price fanangaling when Nvidia gets their hardware out the door, so I'm going to wait till I can get a better deal. Plus my card isn't really outdated that badly yet, 1920x1080 plays quite well.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

If that $150 less bit happens to be true I just might be sold. $400 for a card that'll run all of my games with all the pretties at 1920x1080 and allow for Eyefinity across my non-matching resolution tri-monitor setup (albeit with less pretties)? Bueno. Unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath on that price, $450 seems more likely.

14. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I actually made that jump 4 months ago.

15. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Think I'll hold onto my Voodoo 3DFX a while longer yet.

16. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I still have a 4MB 3dFX Voodoo card. S'part of my collection of top-of-the-line DOS-compatible hardware, which includes a 233MHz Pentium, 64MB of EDO RAM, a SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Matrox MGA...

One of these days I'll get round to putting it all in a case and actually using it. Probably.

17. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

7950 has already been benchmarked in Heaven with interesting results.

Go to OCUK forums.

18. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Bet ya don't lol, nobody's got any time anymore mate, we're all just too busy working and trying to keep our heads above water, and on that enlightening note....I'm off to work lol.:thumb:

Tags: Add Tags