1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Guild Wars 2 beta opens in March

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 23 Jan 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

i hate guildwars.

I used to like guildwars, I had a great character, I was in a great guild, It was great, and then they banned my account when they banned thousands for "suspected botting" - no questions asked, no reprieve. Even though I had never botted, I never got my account back and they adopted a big of a "**** you - you botted" attitude. It was annoying as I bought it when it first came out, and bought all the expansions, and played it for 4 years on and off - a hell of a lot of time and effort wasted there (and money).

3. HiMyNameIsWill

HiMyNameIsWill What's a Dremel?

Yeah im sure that's true Margo.....
    Really looking forwards to GW2! Though I totally love SWTOR, GW was my first proper MMO, and it was great for a F2P system, with the second one looking even better! Its gonna be worth getting no matter what really.

4. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

I played the original GW a lot (read - obsessed, 4000+ hours in-game), until I had done just about everything there was to be done in the game (excluding the PvP, that never interested me).

I've kept half an eye on the development of GW2 since I quit playing the original, and I like the sound of most of it, but not some. I'll still buy and play it, but I'm not sure if I'll play it as much as the original - guess I'll have to see how it turns out!

I've never played WoW - I won't play any subscription fee based game, period.

5. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I'm seriously looking forward to this one. Some of the dynamic party bits look very sweet and I'm looking forwards to seeing how the missions change on the fly.

6. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

The very first Guild Wars was a fun game to play with a small group of friends and slowly pick it apart a few missions a day at a time. I didn't like the expansions so much but on the first game alone they have sold me on Guild Wars 2. It would take a massive crap-storm within the game itself to make me not want to play it. *crosses-fingers*

7. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

I have played Guild Wars for 4 years and for the most part have enjoyed the experience and all the expansions and am still playing today working towards completing my Hall of Monuments. I have seen players come and go and still making new friends in game.

Its not always been an easy road but there has been and still is plenty to do in the game that I am rarely at a loss for something to do or achieve.

I am thoroughly looking forward to playing GW2 and even though it breaks with tradition and that causes some concerns I think the devs will give us all a great experience even if some of us have our own personal caveats as to what we prefer to see in the game.

8. Hg

Hg The game known as life

i went to gamescom back in 2010 with the sole purpose to play the first ever GW2 demo and loved it!
    I have been playing GuildWars since that was in beta and i really cant wait to be a part of the GuildWars 2 beta!
    I even intend to book days off work following its launch as, i have never ever played another game like guildwars in which i have devoted so much of my time too, and i'm sure GW2 will do just that :D

9. TC93

TC93 What's a Dremel?

"getting their hands on the title before the end of the year"
    --------------------------------------

I want to get this game, but this really is getting pathetic how long it takes them to put out a game. Its been years with these same comments about it coming out.

From this comment it sounds like it won't be out until the end of the year, which is ridiculous. By the time they release the game, their graphics will be outdated and people complaining about it.

10. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I've been playing Guild Wars now for well over six years, coming up for seven now. I've loved how the game began, evolved and how it plays today. It's been a long wait for Guild Wars 2, the only worry is the massive legacy and anticipation might be difficult to succeed and satisfy.

11. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

It takes most developers around 2 years to put out a new game and in the majority of cases we don't hear about it until the games are close to launch. With Guild Wars 2 it was announced the day they started the actual development, so yes it has seemed a long time coming but only because we have waited each and every day for it.

As for graphics, well it already looks better than the majority of other titles out there especially WoW's cartoon style graphics.

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Really? Five years isn't unusually long. Some games can take double that. Hell, DNF took close to triple that. Better it comes out later and is good, than comes out sooner and isn't.

13. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I never played the first one because I was turned off by it not being a true MMO. I would rather pay a subscription and get the bigger experience. But this sequel looks like they have managed to provide everything the other games do, and still not have a subscription. The main reason I want it though is because they have changed so many of the old traditions, and it's about time.

14. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

I don't think 5 years for a full development cycle where you produce your own engine and development tools is that bad.[1] Lots of games have an observed 2 year cycle because they use someone else's engine and are based on a known formula.

I do think Arenanet made a mistake saying that they weren't developing campaign 4 of GW and instead were making GW2 when they had only just started the process but hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the same time they have made a lot of changes and additions to an old game to keep the fanbase interested; such as the War in Kryta and the massive Dervish overhall

The comment in no way suggests it will be out at the end of the year, the schedule is leading to an August release at the latest in my opinion. How many games do you know have an open beta test and then disappear for 8 months? If the public open betas happen in March/April then the game should be released May/June. I've given them until August as knowing Anet if the open betas throw up problems they'll delay instead of rushing it. I have to add I'm not sure if there will be that many though, I've not heard of any bugs from the demo's they've been rolling around other than some odd animation that they've already admitted to trying to fix.

15. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

The Anet devs said they want the open beta to be more of a demo for players rather than extra testing, since they know 90% of players won't actually test anything in a open beta anyway. So they expect the open beta to release window to be extremely small.
    It's been confirmed by Martin Kerstein that they are going to do beta weekends instead of a traditional open beta. Links below.
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1070552&postcount=652
    http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1070779&postcount=709

If you played the beta for GW1, you will remember how they did it and it will be the same for GW2.

hoping to see this out in May/June though as I'm dying to get my hands on it again.

16. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

Hmm I read those and earlier comments as focused beta testing events similar to the way WoW does focused raid testing on the PTR. And I'm sorry my original post didn't reflect this, that's the trouble with trying to compose a poignant post just before you're supposed to leave before work.

I wish I could say I was there for the original GW betas but I only started playing during Factions with an MM necro who has since been replaced with a Dervish as my main love.

17. Smellyhead

Smellyhead Minimodder

I was more adding to your post. :D

Everything you said is pretty much true.

Tags: Add Tags