1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Going mATX got a few questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Behemoth, 22 Jan 2012.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I've decided since that I'm moving out of my parents place and am relocating because of my job to go mATX.

I've been looking at a few Cases but it has to be said I really like the Silverstone SG01B-F. I'm keeping my existing CPU, RAM, GFX Card and optical drives. I've chosne a motherboard which I'm happy with, it's a matter of choosing a CPU cooler that's going to fit into the case.

SO I shall be taking over from my current PC, GTX 460 (1 GB) 8 Gig of RAM, Phenom X2 555 BE 3.2 GHz, Blu-Ray Combo Drive and 2 x 1 TB HDD's and to be honest I'm very happy with the performance I get from it, there isn't a game I own I can't play at decent settings.

The only thing I can think of is that being used to large almost full towers what is it like trying to keep an mATX build cool ?

I've been looking at the Coolermaster Gemini, is there anything else that I should be considering ?

On the flip side of that my Dad threw me a curve ball and said why not sell my PC and current laptop and then buy a gaming laptop, and thats something I've looked at BUT I don't like the idea of having something that expensive that portable and they (IMHO) overheat VERY easily and are far less flexible.

Anyway I'll throw it over to you lot and see what you come out with.

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

3. Behemoth

Hmm yes I'm probably better with one of those, I'm looking at putting a fair old bit of hardware inside, I can see the SG01 getting rather warm.

4. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I went mATX last year. I initially went for the FT-03 because I loved it's look and internal layout. I changed it after a few months as it was bigger than I expected and after trying different cooling layouts and combinations I was never satisfied with how it performed. You have to be careful with your hardware selection as Silverstone recommend a rear venting GPU which I didn't have. It's a great looking high quality case though.

I switched to the TJ-08E and it's a cracking case. Cooler and quieter than FT-03 and you can pack a lot of hardware into it if you want to. The removable dust filters are great and it's a breeze to build a system in.

5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I've got a fractal arc mini, and it's awesome.
    Currently housing my medic pc (llano based), but it's soon to become my main pc since I'm selling my 800D build.
    Has everything you need really for an awesome matx setup.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have an Antec P180 Mini, its an absolutely gorgeous case. My setup is below, I have 1 x 120mm Air Penetrator and 1 x Akasa Apache as an intake, as well as a Kuhler 620 in pull, then a 200mm exhaust in the roof.

MATX cases nowadays are great, and you don't need to be super careful about what components you use. Having said that I’d avoid the Silverstone SG01B-F – a case that I believe first appeared about 7 years ago, and go for something more modern. Cases have come a long way in recent years, and you’ll get better cooling, sound dampening, ease of use and arguably, aesthetics for your money.

My list of top MATX cases would be (in no particular order)

TJ-08E
    Fractal Define Mini
    Antec P180 Mini
    Silverstone FT03

Or if you want something super cheap the Fractal Core 1000 is pretty good for the money!

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Look at Lian Li - they make beautiful mini-ITX and micro ATX cases, or the Silverstone FT03. If you're ever considering upgrading, check out our GENE boards ;)

8. KidMod-Southpaw

Agreed, now hand over a gene! :)

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I have a Gene-Z and TJ-08E and they are a heavenly pairing.

10. Behemoth

Really don't need anything mobo wise thats high end, I will be quite happy on the 880 chipset considering my current mobo is 870.

I went for the TJ08 and a Gigabyte MATX board that had USB3 ports, should be with me by tomorrow.

11. KidMod-Southpaw

TJ08 is a great choice, well done!

12. Behemoth

Got the disptach e-mail from Scan, very excited now !

More than likely won't be building till Tursday/Friday, got a mates work laptop in for a rush job, so am tempted to make a build log, what do ya think ?

Last edited: 23 Jan 2012
  13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Do you have low profile RAM? I have the dominator with the high heatsinks and it's jammed against my HDD so that is something to look out for. Once you remove the top panel and the motherboard tray it's a breeze to build a system in. I would also recommend adding a rear fan.

14. Behemoth

The motherboard tray comes out ? Ooops!

Oh well all built up now installing my softtware as I type, have a fan I can use from my eclipse 62 which I'll drop in later over the weekend.

I'm using Corsair XMS3 and found they were tough to get in along side my Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro V2.0

Have taken some build pics and will upload them when I get the chance.

Last edited: 25 Jan 2012
  15. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

lol! A couple of screw hold in place than it slides to the side and lifts out IIRC.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Its weird, I don't like Lian Li at all, but everyone else loves them!

Bindi, are Asus ever going to turn their hand to cases again? Their old ones were ermmm budget.

17. Behemoth

Everytime I think of Asus, and cases in the same line I always think of that awful Vento !

18. Behemoth

The finished article :

[​IMG]

19. driftingphil

driftingphil What's a Dremel?

That was quick, how was the case to get on with? have you any interior pictures?

20. Behemoth

Yeah got interiror pics, will put them up later, I really need to tidy the cables on the inside.