1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help settin up raid0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BURNER-X, 8 Apr 2003.

1. BURNER-X

BURNER-X What's a Dremel?

I need some help setting up my drives in raid0 again here is my problem. Mt main board is a abit kr7a-133 I Ctrl-H into the raid0 setup screen go through all the steps create array select raid 0, select 64k stripe size, set to boot hit create. I reboot with my win me disk going in with cd room support format won't work here and when I try to install windows it says cannot create a temp directory if you have ntfs or hpfs installed (and I don't it was fat 32 before) on your drive you will need to create a MS-Dos boot partition to setup windows Can someone tell me what step I missed. In the cmos the boot device is set to ata133 all three of them. all the cables are in right i'm just stuck any help would be great thanks

2. BURNER-X

Thanks

?:wallbash:

3. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

at some point during the initial loading of setup it asks if you have any third party raid or scsi cards to install.... generally need to hit f6 during the setup and at some point it'll ask for the drivers to be put in the floppy drive

(well at least this is true of windows 2k pro & xp pro)

4. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

I'm not entirely familiar with RAID setup, but don't you need to repartition your drives after to setup the array?

PS. I hope you didn't take two drives with all your data and made 'em into an array, because you can probably kiss your stuff goodbye.

5. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I don't think that Windows ME would be too happy with a raid setup, as it is not designed with that type of user in mind.

If you can, get 2000 or XP, like cd said, there is a special setup message for RAID drivers. Plus, ME stinks (I used it for quite a while, and take it from me, it does!). 2000 SP3 is much better :D

Other than that, I don't know too much about raid setups. You might also check the M$ website for more info ;)

6. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Yo_DUH, don't talk to me about ME sucking ass. I've had it for far too long...hell, I got screwed out of getting XP on my comp because of a hardware incompatibility with my motherboard (ECS POS), which was especially sad because before I upgraded my computer, I had XP RC 1, which was surprisingly stable.

*sniff*

7. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Yeah, sorry dude :(

I had to put up with ME for around a year, until I could get enough surplus cash for an upgrade, as my old computer had decided to be obsolete ;)

I tried 2000, but this was before SP3, so it wasn't a major improvement.

So, I finaly got the money for a new computer, and ordered XP with it. Ahh...

I also upgraded all the computers in my house to 2000 sp3 when the service pack was released, as I was sick of ME.

Why won't XP work with your mobo, out of profesional couriosity?

//back on topic

You might try formating using a boot disc after you config your raid array, don't use the windows formatter. Don't know if it would work or not, but it's worth a shot ;)

8. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

i ran winme with a raid0 setup for a while, after setting up the array i just treated it as a normal hd.

have you partitioned the array yet? i just used fdisk and it worked fine. formatted after that, installed winme and everything was ok. just needed to install the driver for the raid controller afterwards which was weird.

if you can i would upgrade to 2000/xp, as yo_duh_87 said, me is not aimed at this kind of user so that might be the cause of the problem.

hope this helps

9. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Yo_DUH, for some utterly asinine reason, my first Athlon mobo (I'm on my third because I didn't wear anti-static gear, let this be a lesson to you), needed a PSU that supplied 3.3v @ 20A if you wanted to install WinXP while running a 133mhz FSB.

Did you get all of that? Seriously, I'm glad I fried that POS board.

10. BURNER-X

ok got pretty far but yet another problem
    I did the fdisk rebooted then format stops at 28% and I only see 48,98M for Harddrive space the drives are two 60Gig maxtors (ata133,7200) why is it freezing

I get (Trying to recover allocation unit 82,328) then it just hangs?

I even went as far as to setup each drive on the ide fdisk, fdisk /mbr then format to make sure nothing was wrong with them
    then set them back up on the raid controler setup the array fdisked and it still sticks on the format

In the raid setup menu I picked a 16k stripe when I format I type this format C: /z:32 is that right? god why is this happening to me I'm starting to hate my computer. I don't have any extra money for an upgrade about to get kicked out of my flaT :wallbash:

11. BURNER-X

I fixed it don't know how but it's installing winme now.Thanks for burning some of your free time to help me :D