1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Video converting for iPad

Discussion in 'Software' started by alleyne, 30 Jan 2012.

1. alleyne

alleyne What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys

I would like a little help. i have been given an ipad 2, well strategically stolen my mums :clap:. I am having trouble finding a free program that will convert my movies/series into the required format.

I have tried google, but everything thats "free" is not or if it is it has some catch :wallbash:. i wont be doing any dvd ripping or anything like that, just want to put my existing files onto my ipad.

what are people using?

thanks

(windows 7 64 bit, i5, 4 gig ram, 5870 1 gig)

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Handbrake is all you need

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i've been using kvip, but it is a batch file processor, doesn't have ANY configurable option. released in iPhone 1/3G era, so output video quality is pretty low. but at least file size is small and allows you to store a lot of videos.

4. alleyne

alleyne What's a Dremel?

Thanks bro :rock:, i thought it was more of a ripping program. i am busy trying it out. anyways to make the converting quicker. mpeg4 rather than h.264 (will i be losing quality?)

5. alleyne

alleyne What's a Dremel?

thanks for the input. not to worried about file size, but wouldn't want to sacrifice quality.

6. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

Dont bother converting, get flexplayer. Drag n drop a film onto the iPad and watch it, any format.

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

h.264 is better than mpeg4 as you get the same quality for around half the size. However its more CPU intensive but should be fine i think.

there are Iphone presets on handbrake maybe a an ipaqd one i forget best thing is to play around with it a bit.

For Ipad you will need to use MP4 as the container ipad supports h.264 and various audio codecs but not sure which.

8. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Freemake is good for converting to h.264 aac m4v. It is a LOT faster than handbrake. There is a point in converting if we're talking about hd. No reason to have 1080p high bitrate file that takes up half the devices storage when you can drop the quality with it still looking quite good and using a fraction of the space.

10. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

Very good point, I didn't think of space :)

11. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

+1 to freemake, awesome little program.

12. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

i remember something about a program that will change the "packaging" from .avi to .mp4 and most of the time the only thing that needed recoding was the audio. I can't remember anything about where to get sadly :(

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

mkvtomp4... but the video codec already has to be h.264 or it can't do a container change. It does .avi even though there is no mention. Not sure if that was what you were thinking of?
    This is the quickest way by far to get an mkv or avi to ipad compliant mp4, but it won't make it (much) smaller if it is a huge HD file. There will be a slight filesize reduction going from dts/ac3 to aac, but not huge.

14. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Use MAKEMKV to rip your DVD's. (I know you said you don't need to rip, but someone else might find this step useful).

Then use FREEMAKE or HANDBRAKE to encode into MP4 format for playback on the iPAD. :thumb:

FREEMAKE is probably the easiest to use for a novice.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2012
  15. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

+1

16. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Adding a comment do I can come back to this... Cheers!

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wrong.

Freemake

;)

+1 to everyone else \o/

18. alleyne

alleyne What's a Dremel?

Thanks a million bro, this is perfect. didnt know apps did this. Thanks to everyone for their help..:clap:

19. Penfold101

Penfold101 What's a Dremel?

Youtube Downloader is another one - I use it to both download stuff from youtube (randomly enough...:D) and it can also convert to mp4 and various other formats. It's a very basic program so compared to the likes of handbrake etc I wouldn't expect much, but it's small and easy to use.

I shall look at the other ones with interest...

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

am i missing anything with Freemake?

tried it out last night, at same resolution as kvip, and same frame rate, it's twice size of kvip with same quality. problem it seems is that it is constant bit-rate.

anyone know how to make it variable bit-rate? a Xvid encoded TV show at 178MB is encoded to be 180MB using x264 with worse quality due to lower iphone1 resolution, something has to be wrong here.

interface is well designed though. and like the trim/combine feature.