1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU FX upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maestro0428, 30 Jan 2012.

1. maestro0428

maestro0428 Master Modder

I am currently running an AMD 965BE at 4ghz on an ASROCK deluxe 4 and am wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade to an FX 8120 and clocking it higher than the 965be. I have updated the bios to 1.60 to allow FX processors on this AM3 socket. I know clock for clock the FX is slower, but getting the extra four cores should speed up my video work, right? I have seen these chips clocked pretty high...5ghz, but I would settle for 4.5ghz under a triple rad h20 kit if it was faster than my 965be @4.0ghz.

So, do I upgrade to the FX cpu or dump the rig and start again with an intel 2500K?

2. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

Go for the 2500k build. Switching from a 965BE to an FX8120 wouldn't be so much an upgrade as a side grade.

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

It is an upgrade, but not by a massive amount. Going from an X3 to the 8120 is nice, but anything faster; it's not worth it by that much.

For sheer cores, though, it could be. It depends on how much you value video encode times. Handbrake runs like a rat with its' tail set on fire on this system, even at only 3.8Ghz.

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I just got a 2500k from a 955be and it feels s lot faster. I'd do that and if it ain't enough, you can go ivy bridge later after selling the 2500k.

5. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

If he buys a 2500k he would need a hole new motherboard so...
    I would wait for AMD to release there next cpu, piledriver might just beat all the negative reviews of bulldozer into the ground. Its a big if though.

6. maestro0428

All good points. In single threaded apps it will be similar to what I have. I don't know when AMD will be releasing their next "tick" cpu. My rig is pretty fast already as far as the cpu goes. Maybe I should just wait on an upgrade. I do love new kit though! It could be time to switch back to Intel. I do have several other rigs running a variety of Core processors. It really is too bad that AMD could not catch up with Bulldozer.

7. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

It would actually be quite worse than what you have.

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It's still a mystery to me why people choose a lesser performing brand.

I've heard many people say it's because of cost. Well I can't exactly go out and buy whatever I want. I have to save for the parts but I still choose the best performing and highest overclocking parts even if it means waiting longer for it.

9. izools

izools What's a Dremel?

Agreed with the above, unless you use heavily multithreaded apps routinely, it isn't an upgrade worthy of the cost.

Stick the cash in the bank and wait until you have enough to go socket 1155 :thumb:

10. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I buy the best of what I can afford normally. My 955be was a good purchase at the time, but it was limiting even my gpu I suspect.

11. maestro0428

More good points. Sure I could go with a 2500k, but that means another motherboard. I suppose I can wait and save a bit more for that.

Intel it is then.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

In another thread... someone recommended someone else an Asus Z68 LX mobo.

I checked some reviews and it is hitting 5ghz.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=AQkoT4iBG8aK0AWK8aDoBA&sqi=2&ved=0CDMQ8wIwAg

If you sell off the amd crap you can part pay for the new bits. That's what I do. I got £102 for my old i7 860. £75 for my old mobo. £45 for my 8gb 1600mhz ram. It all adds up to offset the cost of the new parts.

13. John Doe

John Doe User

If you look at clock per clock performance, it's a downgrade or a sidegrade at best. He's looking to get a chip to game on, not to encode on it. The FX-8150 gets outdone by a 1100T while sucking up more power once OC'ed...

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4203841&postcount=5

Obsession... mostly. If I bought 3 nVidia cards and have gotten impressed with their build quality/drivers, I may just go and buy a 4th nVidia board even if AMD currently has a superior card. Don't take that seriously BTW, I've gotten past that fanboyism crap years ago. :D

14. Mac_Trekkie

How do you have any rep at all?

15. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I wouldn't bother unless you have real proof that your video software will use all the cores, if you don't use all 8 cores then bulldozer is just a waste!

16. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Rep is meaningless since there are no rules to how it should be given out.

To the OP, I wouldn't bother upgrading personally, since your current setup is hardly slow...

If you can make sure you will get a decent performance boost from the extra cores, then go for it, and if you want to go intel, since you're doing video stuff, the 2600k seems the min you should go for aslong as you can take advantage of the HT.

17. Wozza365

Wozza365 What's a Dremel?

Ive got an 8150 and have absolutely no regrets of getting it

18. maestro0428

@Georgestorm Maybe you are right. I could just keep the set up I have now as it is pretty fast. Ive got my eye on the new Azza Fusion 4000 case. Its a monster at 30" tall! A new mod doesn't really have to have new hardware, right?

19. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Rep is for needy monkeys.

I'm not needy.

20. Mac_Trekkie

My point is almost every post you make is elitist, rude, ignorant, or just plain wrong.