1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice It's time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ratchet219, 3 Feb 2012.

1. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

You know, for the price and name, I would at least expect phase change cooling to be involved. Maybe even a cascade. At least make the ePeen justifiable, you know?

2. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Agree. If it dunt have phase then it's a waste of time.

3. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

For that price I'd want it to freaking well do the cooking for me and make me sandwiches!

4. Ratchet219

Ratchet219 What's a Dremel?

I think the only one that's high and trolling sht is feathers. He thinks if he trolls, must mean everyone else is too. (Yeah I read your posts, you never have anything good to say or usefull.) I don' t have time to build one now, so I simply asked for opinion. Thanks for the help guys.

5. John Doe

John Doe User

Seriously, if you want to go subzero temps with TEC's, they're useless. TEC's aren't an effective way of cooling. You waste 300W to cool down a 130W CPU. Get a single stage cascade (phase change) and insulate your board. It's very easy to insulate a board with rubber. A single stage phase unit is much more effective than anything those guys put in that overpriced load of junk.

Siwini likes this.
  6. feathers

feathers Minimodder

In actual fact I offered my serious opinion as others have done. I went to great lengths to explain why I didn't think your choice was good and the fact that you would choose such an expensive PC, post your intention to buy it and then disappear from the forums for a few days made you look like someone who was doing it as a joke. I'm not the only one who thought so.

Reported you for being unnecessarily hostile.

I am quoting what I typed earlier just to remind everyone that well actually I was taking this seriously like everyone at first...

"Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ratchet219 View Post
    So it's time for my new pc, something EXTREME that can play games better than my laptop. What do you guys think about this buy?
    It's a nice looking build, extremely over the top of course but if someone wants an extreme PC and money is no object then that's a nice looking build.

I used to chill my CPU to below zero with a peltier and water. A processor actually runs more efficiently just from subzero cooling alone even without the overclocking.

"How does -14°C sound on the CPU cores on a six-core Intel processor running at 4.6GHz? You can now achieve record breaking performance by overclocking the processor to extreme levels while keeping the CPU rock solid stable at below 0°C temperatures."

I would say 4.6ghz is rather pathetic for a subzero build but of course you could always take it higher yourself.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/fo....asp?TID=16089

I wouldn't buy it though because it's not the best route to go for an EXTREME PC.

Looking at the build, does it have a separate water loop for the triple SLI? One would hope so because taking a 6 core below zero using a peltier would require more than 300 watts of peltier which means 300 watts + of heat dumped into the coolant, in addition to the 100 watts+ of the CPU. So you may be looking at 450+ watts heat dumped into the coolant just from the CPU/Peltier alone. The GPU's would need their own water loop.

That's still a lot of heat to get rid of which is being dumped in the room.

For an EXTREME PC I would want all 3 GPU's chilled as well and the best option for that would be something that CHILLS the coolant.

http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/cust...pid-12109.html

This will chill your entire loop meaning more overclock on your GPU's.

You'd be aiming for over 5ghz.

Since that Digital Storm doesn't chill the GPU's I would say it's pretty much a waste of money. It looks great though but you could build something great looking with higher spec for less than that.

£437 for a liquid chiller which gives you superior cooling.
    __________________"

And just to remind everyone of your statement....

"Yeah I read your posts, you never have anything good to say or usefull"

So advising you at great length why that over-priced PC was not a good purchase and explaining a more cost effective route is nothing good or useful as far as you're concerned?

I've had TECs running on my PC's so I think I have the experience but if you know better then go ahead and spend $7000.

I suggest in future when you post something ABSURD, you don't disappear for 3 days afterwards.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2012
  7. Ratchet219

Three days? Can you count? It’s only been yesterday look at dates...

Anyways I don’t have time for your trolling drama and I'm done playing games with you... If you can’t help or got nothing to say at all than don’t. It’s that simple.

Plus I already made up my mind about this purchase.

-Cheers

Last edited: 5 Feb 2012
    Siwini likes this.
  8. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

Did you buy it? :eyebrow:

9. John Doe

John Doe User

I really hope you're not serious. Because I can come up with a machine that costs half as much and with twice as much properly selected parts. One that doesn't pump 500W of **** to your room. Those peltiers are going to make your room hell in those hot Summer room situations.

10. Ratchet219

I haven’t heard one thing positive from this thread since I asked. Not one person said something good, seems like everyone ganging up against. So no I did not buy it.

Siwini likes this.
  11. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I have to echo everyone else; It's a good thing you didn't buy it. TEC looks good, but it's a brutal amount of heat dropped into the air. You'd have better luck just getting a water chiller and calling it a day.

Siwini likes this.
  12. Blazza181

Its a good PC. That's certain.

However, its far too expensive, and a PC of one tenth of that price should be perfectly sufficient. I'd say a reasonable max for a power PC is roughly $1700.

13. John Doe

John Doe User

Honestly, I'm taking your posts serious because I'd like to help. Build your own. Ask the people here on which parts to choose, pretty much anyone here can come up with a much, much better price/performance machine than that pre-built.

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I wonder if you are capable of reading anything?

Clearly you are someone who needs help. You post a link to a $7000 PC asking if you should buy it. Everyone including me tells you not to. I went into detail explaining my concerns, I even told u I thought it was a nice looking machine but that you could do better. I then explain what I would do for less money. You completely ignore that and when you finally returned to post, you start name calling and engage in a personal vendetta against me. Seems to me you have big big ego problems. You don't know me, I don't know you and from the way you jumped on me for trying giving you my experience of extreme hardware... you are someone I will not have anything to do with in future. As well as ego problems you may have an inability to read and digest information. I have quoted my previous text for you to read where I go into detail and share my experience. I have used TECs, I have chilled my processors below zero. If you think that's trolling and bringing nothing of any use to your thread then you're even dumber than your $7000 dollar PC makes you look.

Quite simply you're not a nice person from what I can gather so I will avoid you in future.

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Ratchet, feathers has gone to some length to explain to you why this system is not worth the money. There simply hasn't been a need for the aggro that has come into this thread.

In general, everyone, it shouldn't be necessary to be putting down little arguments across the forum on a daily basis. This is a community, most people here are decent and mean well, so treat them like you'd treat your friends, and this place will be a lot more civil.

16. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

That would be because it is an awful PC to purchase! Please listen to feathers!

Siwini likes this.
  17. feathers

feathers Minimodder

What did I write on page 1? "It's a nice looking build," Some others have agreed it's a nice looking machine but seriously what do you expect? People at Bit tech forums generally are very adept at building their own PC. Ready-built machines look great but they are always far more expensive and not as fast as something you could build yourself.

Why would you be surprised to get a negative response from people here? We build our own machines and far faster and for a fraction of the cost. Do you think it's a conspiracy that everyone disagrees with your choice? It's just logic, something you need more of I would say. If you'd been posting on a forum where people buy pre-built rather than building their own you might have got a different response.

Thanks for explaining to him. I doubt he will agree though. I think because I started to doubt his post was serious later in the day he took it as a personal insult. It wasn't, I just couldn't believe someone would be wanting to spend $7000 on a pre-build especially on this forum.

I mean people don't even post their intention to buy Alienware here generally. We build our own.

18. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I have come to realise more and more what a nice community the bit tech forum is. I thus find myself taking more of an interest and liking the various personalities here.

No place for personal dislikes against people I've never met. This is a place where people with similar interests can discuss. Sometimes there are misunderstandings but the trick is not to take things too personally.

A few of us thought your post wasn't serious because of the cost of the machine and this being a place where people build their own. It wasn't a personal attack on you. We just weren't sure but nevertheless we did give you our advice. If you disagree then buy the machine.

Shirty likes this.
  19. Blazza181

*Press enter for a modded bro-fist*

Ratchet, I must admit, when I first read your post, I thought you were trolling to. But I think this highlights a small issue about BT as a whole.

We work on the assumption that all newcomers have a good knowledge of PCs. Sometimes we recoil in horror of what a newcomer is proposing, but sometimes they misinterpret it as us mocking them.

As a whole, I believe BT not only needs to discuss PC tech, but try to teach it to those who don't know as much.

Please excuse us Ratchet if you feel you may have not got a very warm entrance, but we have had a spate of some trolls recently.

20. -pattoe-

-pattoe- What's a Dremel?

As long as it has boosted ram and many motherboards you should be good :p

Siwini likes this.